andrewpreece

"Simon" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

This rear fence is approx 5 ft high - part of their garden is about a
foot higher than mine, so effectivly at that part of the garden, the
fence is only worth four foot!

I was thinking of purchasing some of the brushwood screening 2 metres
high and attaching this to the existing fence - thus increasing the
barries between us.

Do I need to get their consent before doing this work? Does anyone know
of a cheaper method of increasing the privacy (short of not going out
into the garden :-))

Thanks!

If there is a problem with the screening grow something evergreen against
the fence that'll get to the required height in a reasonable time. What you
actually might grow depends on climate/soil/aspect etc, but as a for
instance
I have grown a wall-trained evergreen Ceanothus to 7 feet high in two years
from a nursery plant, to give me extra screening along a 4-5 foot high wall.
Other options are plentiful, though I wouldn't bother with Leylandii: they
look
OK I suppose, but need trimming twice a year, topping once a year (ish) and
worst of all, if you trim them too closely they go brown at that point and
you
can never get that bit to grow back.

Andy.