Default Garden Lighting

We have some mini garden lighting. It consists of 4 lights. Each light
runs off 12 volts and is rated at either 20 or 30 watts.

We would like to change the colour of the lights. We have tried using
filters fitted around the bulbs but these just don't seem to work.

Is there any paint that is designed for use at high temperatures? We
were thinking of spraying the bulbs or the glass surroud that goes
over the bulbs.

I realise that the paint might insultate some of the heat and reduce
the life of the bulbs but this is something that we can live with.

Any suggestions for a type of paint that is designed to work with
higher temperatures?

Thanks,
Graham

Tim Mitchell

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
writes:
We have some mini garden lighting. It consists of 4 lights. Each light
runs off 12 volts and is rated at either 20 or 30 watts.

We would like to change the colour of the lights. We have tried using
filters fitted around the bulbs but these just don't seem to work.

If they are MR16's, they are available in coloured versions.

Is there any paint that is designed for use at high temperatures? We
were thinking of spraying the bulbs or the glass surroud that goes
over the bulbs.

I don't think this would work with bare halogen capsules, if that's
what you're using. They run at around 350C.

I realise that the paint might insultate some of the heat and reduce
the life of the bulbs but this is something that we can live with.

Any suggestions for a type of paint that is designed to work with
higher temperatures?

Ideal question for a theatre lighting group such as
rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft who will be familiar with
the current state of the art of high temperature filters.

As a resident of rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft I can tell you that the
best way would be to buy coloured MR16 lamps. Maplin sell them, amongst
others.

Theatre colour filter would work, but even the latest high temp stuff
fades over time and needs replacing. The coloured lamps use dichroic
filter which lasts for ever. If you want to pursue the theatre colour
filter idea, your local disco shop will probably sell you some.
--
Tim Mitchell

On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:29:52 GMT, Rick wrote:

Have you tried proper profesional photographic colour filters ?
Some are plastic, some are glass.

Tried it.

It doesn't seem to give a very good effect.

Graham

dennis@home

wrote in message
We have some mini garden lighting. It consists of 4 lights. Each light
runs off 12 volts and is rated at either 20 or 30 watts.

We would like to change the colour of the lights. We have tried using
filters fitted around the bulbs but these just don't seem to work.

Can you use these?

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.p...b2 1b04579c55

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:49:09 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
We have some mini garden lighting. It consists of 4 lights. Each light
runs off 12 volts and is rated at either 20 or 30 watts.

We would like to change the colour of the lights. We have tried using
filters fitted around the bulbs but these just don't seem to work.

Can you use these?

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.p...b2 1b04579c55

I have emailed them.

Thanks,