Hamie

Default Scaffolding Price

Does anyone know what the cost of scafolding is in the SE? I've for a
small piece of eaves at the end of my house that i can't get to by
ladder because of a coalshed & an outhouse at the back & it needs
painting... The only thing I can think of is a bit of scaffolding being
put up over it so I can get access to the end of the gable & strip &
paint it... But how much is that likely to cost me?

TIA

Hamish.
Rick

On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:30:00 +0100, Hamie
wrote:

Does anyone know what the cost of scafolding is in the SE? I've for a
small piece of eaves at the end of my house that i can't get to by
ladder because of a coalshed & an outhouse at the back & it needs
painting... The only thing I can think of is a bit of scaffolding being
put up over it so I can get access to the end of the gable & strip &
paint it... But how much is that likely to cost me?

TIA

Hamish.

Its gonna be a few hundred quid. From my enquires you get a price for
ercation, 6 week hire, and dismantleing. Extra weeks cost more.

Also you will get a proper job done, saftey rails all that sort of
stuff, not a DIY sort of safe but not really scaffold job that DIY
types who own not quite enough of their own scaffold do.

Peter Andrews

"Hamie" wrote in message

Does anyone know what the cost of scafolding is in the SE? I've for a
small piece of eaves at the end of my house that i can't get to by
ladder because of a coalshed & an outhouse at the back & it needs
painting... The only thing I can think of is a bit of scaffolding being
put up over it so I can get access to the end of the gable & strip &
paint it... But how much is that likely to cost me?

TIA

Hamish.

Phone a few. Biggest problem will be getting them to take it away when
finished - as few companies seem to have enough storage, so it tends to go
when they have another job where it's needed!

Andy Dingley

wrote:

Does anyone know what the cost of scafolding is in the SE?

Scaffolding, or a scaff tower ? Scaffolding _must_ now be checked by a
real ticketed rigger before use, so there's less scope for "doing things
on the cheap". However if access is easy and you just need some
vertical height, you can still hire a simple pre-fab tower and erect it
yourself.
Hamie

wrote:

Does anyone know what the cost of scafolding is in the SE?

Scaffolding, or a scaff tower ? Scaffolding _must_ now be checked by a
real ticketed rigger before use, so there's less scope for "doing things
on the cheap". However if access is easy and you just need some
vertical height, you can still hire a simple pre-fab tower and erect it
yourself.

Unfortunately it's not accessable with a tower, or I'd use a ladder...
The back of the house looks like

-------------------

Paint here - |
|------------------

/|
/ |
/ |
/ |
Coal Shed etc | |
| |
--------------------

Where that bit at the bottom is a coal shed & outhouse... And the gable
is about 7-8m in height & the angle is a bit much for a ladder (Maybe...
I might try a standoff at the top and dig a ditch at the bottom for the
ladder to sit in to stop it slipping. The ladder is a nice strong box
alu one... The roofer said it was nice to see someone with a proper
ladder when he borrowed it).

dmc

In article ,
Hamie wrote:

Unfortunately it's not accessable with a tower, or I'd use a ladder...
The back of the house looks like

[snip]

Don't suppose you could get a cherry picker type lift near enough to
it? Might be cheaper to hire one than get scaffolding put up, certified
and then taken down again later.

Darren

Hamie

dmc wrote:
In article ,
Hamie wrote:

Unfortunately it's not accessable with a tower, or I'd use a ladder...
The back of the house looks like

[snip]

Don't suppose you could get a cherry picker type lift near enough to
it? Might be cheaper to hire one than get scaffolding put up, certified
and then taken down again later.

Darren

Not unless it's a max of about 1.2m wide and 1.8m tall (Otherwise I'd
have to take apart the gates at the side of the house).

I might try a long pole sander & a roller from the corner of the
building... Spending hundreds for painting the gable seems like such a
lot...

Anna Kettle

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:47:09 +0100, Hamie
wrote:

I might try a long pole sander & a roller from the corner of the
building... Spending hundreds for painting the gable seems like such a
lot...

I just did just this on an inaccessible bit of mine and it worked fine
[1]. Probably wouldn't look so good close up but will never be seen
close up so who cares. Another inaccessible bit had a window, so I
worked from a bridge between scaffold tower and windowsill. Health and
safety would probably have a fit

[1] Spread out protective coverings on the roof below. Its a rather
drippy method

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Rick

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:47:09 +0100, Hamie
wrote:

dmc wrote:
In article ,
Hamie wrote:

Unfortunately it's not accessable with a tower, or I'd use a ladder...
The back of the house looks like

[snip]

Don't suppose you could get a cherry picker type lift near enough to
it? Might be cheaper to hire one than get scaffolding put up, certified
and then taken down again later.

Darren

Not unless it's a max of about 1.2m wide and 1.8m tall (Otherwise I'd
have to take apart the gates at the side of the house).

You will probably get a cherry picker that small.

Rick

Hamie wrote:
Does anyone know what the cost of scafolding is in the SE? I've for a
small piece of eaves at the end of my house that i can't get to by
ladder because of a coalshed & an outhouse at the back & it needs
painting... The only thing I can think of is a bit of scaffolding

being
put up over it so I can get access to the end of the gable & strip &
paint it... But how much is that likely to cost me?

TIA

Hamish.

if its for your own use only you can always make wood scaffolding. Only
do it if you properpyl understand how to make it safe, there are
gotchas. Mustnt let anyone else onto it unless its inspected etc.

NT

Sue Begg

In message , Rick
writes
On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:47:09 +0100, Hamie
wrote:

dmc wrote:
In article ,
Hamie wrote:

Unfortunately it's not accessable with a tower, or I'd use a ladder...
The back of the house looks like

[snip]

Don't suppose you could get a cherry picker type lift near enough to
it? Might be cheaper to hire one than get scaffolding put up, certified
and then taken down again later.

Darren

Not unless it's a max of about 1.2m wide and 1.8m tall (Otherwise I'd
have to take apart the gates at the side of the house).

You will probably get a cherry picker that small.

Rick

I might try a long pole sander & a roller from the corner of the
building... Spending hundreds for painting the gable seems like such a
lot...

They do a cherry picker that will fit through a normal house door. It is
called an octopus or something similar
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!