Graham Mead

Default Mitre saws- opinions please

Hi I'm currently looking for a slide mitre saw and have whittled the
options down to three models which are

Elektra KGS303, Bosch GCM10S and the Makita LS1013, Which when you
include the price of a stand are all similar cost.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on using
these (or one of them) good or bad as this would help me decide. Or
possibly an alternative around the £450 mark.

Thanks to anyone who replies
AlexW

Graham Mead wrote:
Hi I'm currently looking for a slide mitre saw and have whittled the
options down to three models which are

Elektra KGS303, Bosch GCM10S and the Makita LS1013, Which when you
include the price of a stand are all similar cost.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on using
these (or one of them) good or bad as this would help me decide. Or
possibly an alternative around the £450 mark.

Thanks to anyone who replies

No direct exp of the ones you mention.

The Elektra/Metabo ones are really fine machines and I almost bought one
(possibly the 303), other than that it would not go into the cupboard I
have to store it in. I think some have induction motors IIRC.

I got a Dewalt DW707 instead. This has slightly less cut capacity, is a
bit heavier I think and does not have a depth stop due to the slide
design. Good saw though. With your budget you could have the very
similar DW701 which has speed control.

You might want to google the rec.woodworking archives too...

HTH,

Alex.
Jonathan Telfer

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 01:16:06 -0700, Graham Mead wrote:

Hi I'm currently looking for a slide mitre saw and have whittled the
options down to three models which are

Elektra KGS303, Bosch GCM10S and the Makita LS1013, Which when you
include the price of a stand are all similar cost.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on using
these (or one of them) good or bad as this would help me decide. Or
possibly an alternative around the £450 mark.

Thanks to anyone who replies

Try "Andy Hall" in your google searches. I remember him talking about
this kind of thing a few months back. I recall the LS1013 was his
favourite and he clearly has a passion for good kit (+rightly so in my
opinion if you're out there Andy).
Alternatively, if you're any where near Axminster you can always go to
the showroom where they certainly have the 1013 set up upstairs.

Jon
Andy Hall

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:07:58 +0100, Jonathan Telfer
wrote:

[...]

Yes I did post on this a couple of months back (although can't quickly
find it now.

In short:

I did a lot of looking at this in various reviews both here and in
U.S. sources. The LS1013 came out some way ahead of the DW708 and
others in these reviews, although the Elektra Beckum wasn't covered.

I was able to visit a woodworking machinery store in California which
had a display of most that one could touch, feel and use. On the
same trip I looked at a subset of them in a Home Depot (from which B&Q
is cloned) and the DW had fared very badly from being on display - the
slide mechanism had gone graunchy.

So I bought the LS1013. It's worth shopping for best price (I think
mine came from Calder Trade). I've had it now for pretty much a year
and use it a lot. It's a pleasure to use and I remain really pleased
with it.

I have briefly used the EB one as well. That is also quite nice,
although perhaps not quite as solid. However it does have an
induction motor (think it's this model) and is fairly quiet as a
result.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and also the links to finding other stuff.
Looks like its the Makita one then. I've got other tools made by them
and am always impressed by the build quality. It was just that its
hard to find some of the others to actually, see in the flesh.

I'm off to get a second mortgage to pay for it.

Compound mitre saws again Martin Crook UK diy 6 February 18th 05 04:21 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Opinions - Mastercraft Mitre Box? James D. Farrow Woodturning 2 October 25th 04 12:17 AM
Playset plans and mitre saws John Woodworking 3 June 15th 04 01:06 PM
Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw? Tim Nicholson UK diy 6 May 9th 04 11:29 AM