Digby

Default Pushing Water Uphill !

My wife (God Bless her) wants me to move the washing machine into the
outhouse.
Well that's fine - I had nothing planned for the month !
I have power and can easily get water supply BUT the outhouse is lower
than the main drain cover (although not lower than the take away from
the drain).
Is it possible to push the waste water uphill so I can branch into an
existing waste drain ??
Or is there some clever workaround ??
Suggestions gratefully received.

Set Square

Digby wrote:

My wife (God Bless her) wants me to move the washing machine into the
outhouse.
Well that's fine - I had nothing planned for the month !
I have power and can easily get water supply BUT the outhouse is lower
than the main drain cover (although not lower than the take away from
the drain).
Is it possible to push the waste water uphill so I can branch into an
existing waste drain ??
Or is there some clever workaround ??
Suggestions gratefully received.

I suppose you could use a Saniflow / Macerator type device such as
http://tinyurl.com/cuymv

They're designed to work with toilets, but I see no reason why they wouldn't
work with washing machine waste.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

r.p.mcmurphy

"Digby" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife (God Bless her) wants me to move the washing machine into the
outhouse.
Well that's fine - I had nothing planned for the month !
I have power and can easily get water supply BUT the outhouse is lower
than the main drain cover (although not lower than the take away from
the drain).
Is it possible to push the waste water uphill so I can branch into an
existing waste drain ??
Or is there some clever workaround ??
Suggestions gratefully received.

|Raise the washer higher off the ground?

Steve

Andrew McKay

Digby wrote:
My wife (God Bless her) wants me to move the washing machine into the
outhouse.
Well that's fine - I had nothing planned for the month !
I have power and can easily get water supply BUT the outhouse is lower
than the main drain cover (although not lower than the take away from
the drain).
Is it possible to push the waste water uphill so I can branch into an
existing waste drain ??
Or is there some clever workaround ??
Suggestions gratefully received.

Washing machine outlet hoses need to be brought up to just below the top
of the washing machine anyway - they don't just drain along the floor.
These outlets are pumped, so as long as the height difference is less
than (say) 24in you should be fine.

However make sure that if the outlet pipe to the outside drain were to
get restricted that you don't end up with water all over the floor of
the outhouse. That could potentially be dangerous as you would have
electrical equipment sitting in a pool of water.....

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam

Dave Jones

"Digby" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife (God Bless her) wants me to move the washing machine into the
outhouse.
Well that's fine - I had nothing planned for the month !
I have power and can easily get water supply BUT the outhouse is lower
than the main drain cover (although not lower than the take away from
the drain).
Is it possible to push the waste water uphill so I can branch into an
existing waste drain ??
Or is there some clever workaround ??
Suggestions gratefully received.

The washing machine will lift the water a good 3 or 4 foot how much more do
you need?

Aidan

I think Grundfos do a pump type device for drains, similar to a
macerator but without the turd shredder. A tank, pump, float switch &
relay could be rigged up by someone competent.would

Digby

Washing machine outlet hoses need to be brought up to just below the
top
of the washing machine anyway - they don't just drain along the

floor.
These outlets are pumped, so as long as the height difference is less

than (say) 24in you should be fine.

That's a good thought but my macine will be about 20 feet from the
nearest point I can connect to the sewer - doesn't this imply that I
will constantly have grey water lying in this pipe work ?
How should I protect against flowback into the outhouse?

* and thanks for your helpful replies ; )

Ian Stirling

Digby wrote:
Washing machine outlet hoses need to be brought up to just below the

top
of the washing machine anyway - they don't just drain along the

floor.
These outlets are pumped, so as long as the height difference is less

than (say) 24in you should be fine.

That's a good thought but my macine will be about 20 feet from the
nearest point I can connect to the sewer - doesn't this imply that I
will constantly have grey water lying in this pipe work ?
How should I protect against flowback into the outhouse?

3-4 feet, in 20 feet is more than you'd want the slope to be, to keep the water
flowing, I think it's 1:20 is the recommended slope.
Andrew McKay

Digby wrote:

That's a good thought but my macine will be about 20 feet from the
nearest point I can connect to the sewer - doesn't this imply that I
will constantly have grey water lying in this pipe work ?
How should I protect against flowback into the outhouse?

You really need to raise the level as close to the washing machine as
possible. Is it out of the question to run a 32mm or 40mm waste pipe
from next to the washing machine to the point at which it drops into the
main waste?

If not, raise the waste pipe close to the washing machine and then run
from there to the waste at an elevated height.

Do not be tempted to run the waste at floor level all the way across. It
wouldn't be a great idea - if winter caused the pipe to freeze then you
are asking for trouble.

* and thanks for your helpful replies ; )

That's what we are here for.

Well, some of us are anyway. There's at least one person who appears
like a jack in the box to provide entertainment value. Hysterically he
tends to get involved in providing advice on comb boilers and similar so
this thread may have escaped his attention.....

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

wig wig is offline
Member

It has to be a dirty water drain btw, can't put it into a clean water drain.

What is the distance to the drain, what is the height you need to overcome?

As someone said raise the machine, if the height is fairly small, and run the pipe along a garden wall or fence.

Yes the washing machine will do the pumping up hill itself, however, it is designed to pump straight up e.g. a 3- 4 ft length of pipe, If the distance of travel is say 6 metres then you're talking about 6m of water to push, you can have a go but it might put a strain on the pump. Also consider that when the machine is empty all the water in that length of 6m pipe will flow back into the machine.

You could plumb it in as normal and have the waste flow into an external tank, this you can then use a bucket to take the water to the drain. Or if you use an eco friendly washing powder/liquid like 'Ecover' you can use the water for the garden.

Bob Minchin

Ian Stirling wrote in message
Digby wrote:
Washing machine outlet hoses need to be brought up to just below the

top
of the washing machine anyway - they don't just drain along the

floor.
These outlets are pumped, so as long as the height difference is less

than (say) 24in you should be fine.

That's a good thought but my macine will be about 20 feet from the
nearest point I can connect to the sewer - doesn't this imply that I
will constantly have grey water lying in this pipe work ?
How should I protect against flowback into the outhouse?

3-4 feet, in 20 feet is more than you'd want the slope to be, to keep the

water
flowing, I think it's 1:20 is the recommended slope.

Make sure there is an air vent to stop any back siphoning into the machine
when the pump stops.
Add a rodding eye at the high end of the pipe run to the drain just in case.
Make sure that the outhouse does not freeze. There is always a little water
left in the machine and this and the solenoid valves can freeze up.

Bob

John Stumbles

Aidan wrote:

I think Grundfos do a pump type device for drains, similar to a
macerator but without the turd shredder. A tank, pump, float switch &
relay could be rigged up by someone competent.would

I think saniflow do one too.
Rob Graham

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message

......advice on comb boilers and similar so
this thread may have escaped his attention.....

Do I take it this particular gentleman is somewhat hirsute and requires to
clean his appearance adjusting equipment regularly !

Rob

Andrew McKay

Rob Graham wrote:
Do I take it this particular gentleman is somewhat hirsute and requires to
clean his appearance adjusting equipment regularly !

I don't think I mentioned the term "gentleman" in my previous responses.
If I did I regret that it was a slip of the tongue.

He would have had a full time career a few hundred years ago, as a court
jester. However he probably wouldn't have lasted long - back then if you
didn't conjure up the goods for the master then you were often slain to
make way for another clown prince.

Sadly this one keeps coming back like a bad smell, albeit under
different pseudonyms.

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
Aidan wrote:

I think Grundfos do a pump type device for drains, similar to a
macerator but without the turd shredder. A tank, pump, float switch &
relay could be rigged up by someone competent.would

I think saniflow do one too.

Flygt might also -- they're into sewage, but possibly only
on a bigger scale.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Harry Bloomfield

Aidan used his keyboard to write :
A tank, pump, float switch &
relay could be rigged up by someone competent.would

Why mess about? If you are putting a pump in a tank, then it would be
simpler to just buy an automatic submersible pump, better known as a
sump pump. You can get quite small sump pumps.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Harry Bloomfield

Digby was thinking very hard :
That's a good thought but my macine will be about 20 feet from the
nearest point I can connect to the sewer - doesn't this imply that I
will constantly have grey water lying in this pipe work ?

It sounds like you could just simply allow gravity to work, as that is
more than enough slope for the distance. Just run the pipe at a steady
fall down to the drain.

How should I protect against flowback into the outhouse?

I don't know if this is permitted, but an overflow pipe could be
installed which is at a slightly lower level than the level at which it
would overflow back into your outhouse.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Alex

raise the washing machine

Digby wrote:

My wife (God Bless her) wants me to move the washing machine into the
outhouse.
Well that's fine - I had nothing planned for the month !
I have power and can easily get water supply BUT the outhouse is

lower
than the main drain cover (although not lower than the take away from
the drain).
Is it possible to push the waste water uphill so I can branch into an
existing waste drain ??
Or is there some clever workaround ??
Suggestions gratefully received.

Lets cover the things to not do first:

1. dont pump it uphill all the way, as it will all run back into the
machine every time. Drain pipes are kinda stinky.

2. dont use a saniflo!!

Now the DO:

1. Run the drain downhill at the usual slope all the way to the drain.

2. Run the washer outlet hose up to the open end of this drain pipe.
Use the standard kit, preferably ensuring the connection is not
airtight.

3. If the outlet hose has to go further up than the machine pump can
handle, add another washing machine pump in plumbing series and
electrical parallel with the existing machine pump.

4. If the machine needs to pump up a huge distance, and even this is
inadequate, use a purpose made foul water pump, again run off the
wahser pump connections. Do not use an unsanitaryflow.

There is also a last option: if the machine is a long way from the
house foundations, and you use only enviro friendly detergents, you
could drain into a soakaway dug in the ground next to your outhouse, or
possibly even use it to water the garden.

NT

Rick

On 23 Apr 2005 09:10:46 -0700, "Digby" wrote:

My wife (God Bless her) wants me to move the washing machine into the
outhouse.
Well that's fine - I had nothing planned for the month !
I have power and can easily get water supply BUT the outhouse is lower
than the main drain cover (although not lower than the take away from
the drain).
Is it possible to push the waste water uphill so I can branch into an
existing waste drain ??
Or is there some clever workaround ??
Suggestions gratefully received.

You can buy various foul water pumps, however the water will be pumped
to a height of about the top of the machine by the machine itself,
this may give you some advantage depending on where you can run the
pipes.

I would break into the drain at a lower point, its a bit of work to
dig the soil away, and rebuild the bricks but not a huge job.

Rick

Lobster

Digby wrote:
My wife (God Bless her) wants me to move the washing machine into the
outhouse.
Well that's fine - I had nothing planned for the month !

One other consideration which nobody's mentioned - is the outhouse, or
will it be, frost-protected? Otherwise you could make a mess of your
machine if it freezes inside. As you're talking about pumping water
uphill in some shape or form, that implies that the pipework are always
going to be full of water, too.

Coupled with the difficulties already raised, isn't this the opportunity
you need to suggest SWMBO takes a hike with her proposal (in the nicest
possible way of course!)?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do 1 and 2 forget 3 etc. If you have a tumble dryer put the washer no that for the extra height 24" below becomes 12" above. 20 feet is not that far from the drain if pipe going downhill at anything above 1 in 40. Job done.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ll-173369-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The original query was 16 years ago, so they've probably worked it out by now.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ll-173369-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 22:02, rde42 wrote:
The original query was 16 years ago, so they've probably worked it out
by now.

I truly hope so!

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM