Benny

Default Barbeque grills

Hi,
I'm going to make (or rather have made) a couple of large barbecues to
use at a school summer fair.
In the past we have used two large half barrels, but these have gone
missing.
What I want to do is get hold of something I can use for the grills, I
guess it would need to be stainless or something, and then get something
made to fit, depending on what I can get hold of.

Anybody got any leads?

Cheers,
Ben
Richard

Benny wrote:
Hi,
I'm going to make (or rather have made) a couple of large barbecues to
use at a school summer fair.
In the past we have used two large half barrels, but these have gone
missing.
What I want to do is get hold of something I can use for the grills, I
guess it would need to be stainless or something, and then get something
made to fit, depending on what I can get hold of.

Anybody got any leads?

Cheers,
Ben

Where are you?

My local (Seal, Kent) steel fabricator made me a half barrel BBQ with
steel mesh for the grids. Mesh is (AFAICR) 1" x 0.5" per hole - if you
see what I mean!

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM
Benny

Richard wrote:
Benny wrote:

Hi,
I'm going to make (or rather have made) a couple of large barbecues to
use at a school summer fair.
In the past we have used two large half barrels, but these have gone
missing.
What I want to do is get hold of something I can use for the grills, I
guess it would need to be stainless or something, and then get
something made to fit, depending on what I can get hold of.

Anybody got any leads?

Cheers,
Ben

Where are you?

My local (Seal, Kent) steel fabricator made me a half barrel BBQ with
steel mesh for the grids. Mesh is (AFAICR) 1" x 0.5" per hole - if you
see what I mean!

Richard

Its not really the making of it that will be a problem, its just what to
use for the grill. Is the mesh you have stainless, or just normal mild?
Do you have any problems with rust?
Dave

Benny wrote:

Its not really the making of it that will be a problem, its just what to
use for the grill. Is the mesh you have stainless, or just normal mild?
Do you have any problems with rust?

My local school has no problems with rust. They use a mild steel grill,
but forget to clean it after the last use and then say to me, many
months later 'Dave, can you make sure the barbecue is clean for use
tomorrow' :-(((((

Seriously, if the barbi was hot enough the last time it was used, the
metal should get a coating of fat that has been burned on and formed a
non-stick coating. This will prevent any rusting and the excess fat can
be washed off using ordinary clothes washing powder type products.

HTH

Dave
Benny

Dave wrote:
Benny wrote:

Its not really the making of it that will be a problem, its just what
to use for the grill. Is the mesh you have stainless, or just normal
mild? Do you have any problems with rust?

My local school has no problems with rust. They use a mild steel grill,
but forget to clean it after the last use and then say to me, many
months later 'Dave, can you make sure the barbecue is clean for use
tomorrow' :-(((((

Thanks for the info. while I've been looking, I've just found this site:

http://www.barrel-barbecue.co.uk/

Pretty much exactly what I'm after, hotplates are great for burgers.
They have included lots of measurements which will be handy when I have
them made!!

Richard

Benny wrote:

Its not really the making of it that will be a problem, its just what to
use for the grill. Is the mesh you have stainless, or just normal mild?
Do you have any problems with rust?

Hi Benny,

It's mild steel mesh. Any rust merely improves the diners iron intact ;-)

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM
Chris Bacon

Benny wrote:
I'm going to make (or rather have made) a couple of large barbecues to
use at a school summer fair.
In the past we have used two large half barrels, but these have gone
missing.
What I want to do is get hold of something I can use for the grills, I
guess it would need to be stainless or something, and then get something
made to fit, depending on what I can get hold of.

DIY! Go to a garage and get a 45 gallon oil drum. Cut it in half using a
jigsaw, with appropriate fine-toothed blade. Drill a few 8mm holes in
the botom of the drum so it won't fill with water when left outside. Use
angle iron for the legs, bolt a cross-piece on to make two H sections
per drum half, drill holes in the angle iron and drum halves to take M8
bolts and wing-nuts at the top of each leg and the middle of the
cross-pieces, where the bottom of the drum will sit. Make a good fire in
each drum well before use, out of scrap timber, to burn off any
oil/paint. Use "twillweld" to make grilles, you can cut it with bolt
croppers or a hammer and chisel on a metal block such as an offcut of
RSJ. Make sure the grilles are not too close to the botom, a good lot of
charcoal with fat dripping onto it makes a fair blaze, you'll probably
want to sprinkle water on during cooking to calm it down a bit. Don't
clean the grilles after use, but before using them again, light a fire
under them in the drum with kindling, and wire-brush the top to remove
ash. Get some hardboard and 1x1 1/2" batten to make framed fronts and
sides for the barbecue, finishing a little way above the bottom of the
leg, use cup hooks or bent screws to hang these onto the lip of the
barbecue, as long as there's an air gap they will be OK. Give the front
and sides a coat of gloss to finish them off. Take care when tipping out
hot ash, or moving barbecues, there's quite a lot after a session, and
it stays hot for ages.
Richard

Benny wrote:

Thanks for the info. while I've been looking, I've just found this site:

http://www.barrel-barbecue.co.uk/

Pretty much exactly what I'm after, hotplates are great for burgers.
They have included lots of measurements which will be handy when I have
them made!!

That strikes me as expensive.

I have a made-to-order half barrel BBQ with rear warming rack, under
tray. A pair of wheels on one side. The flame bed is divided in half
so that I don't have to use loads of charcoal for a few people or I can
have two stages of 'burn' life. Two mild steel grids and two sheets of
SS for hotplates with handles.

All for £100.

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

Natural Gas outdoor grills Elliott Plack, USAR Home Ownership 10 April 19th 05 03:54 PM
Natural Gas outdoor grills Elliott Plack, USAR Home Ownership 0 April 17th 05 11:26 PM
gas burner for barbeque dj UK diy 4 March 22nd 05 04:14 PM
Barbeque advice Jo UK diy 38 July 31st 04 10:01 AM
Gas Grills Home Repair 2 July 22nd 03 03:07 AM