dj

Default gas burner for barbeque

Anyone know of a suitable burner for use under charcoal. I'm building a new
and quite large barbeque. I'm not a fan of gas barbeques as I prefer
charcoal but a gas burner, run off calor or similar, under the charcoal
would be an obvious benefit when it came to lighting. I thought of a gas
poker too. Anyone else have any idea's?

Mary Fisher

"dj" wrote in message
Anyone know of a suitable burner for use under charcoal. I'm building a
new and quite large barbeque. I'm not a fan of gas barbeques as I prefer
charcoal but a gas burner, run off calor or similar, under the charcoal
would be an obvious benefit when it came to lighting. I thought of a gas
poker too. Anyone else have any idea's?

It sounds like a complicated way of lighting charcoal.

I use beeswax impregnated filter papers (the by-product of filtering wax) as
firelighters. They work beautifully, don't have the horrid paraffin smell of
firelighters and are environmentally friendly.

The larger the barbecue, if you want even lighting, the more points of
ignition you'll need. Several of my papers would do the job at no capital or
running expense.

Don't know why I'm bothering to say this, except that I'm taking a baking
break. If you'd like some of my special firelighters contact me.

Mary

Lobster

Mary Fisher wrote:
"dj" wrote in message

Anyone know of a suitable burner for use under charcoal. I'm building a
new and quite large barbeque. I'm not a fan of gas barbeques as I prefer
charcoal but a gas burner, run off calor or similar, under the charcoal
would be an obvious benefit when it came to lighting. I thought of a gas
poker too. Anyone else have any idea's?

It sounds like a complicated way of lighting charcoal.

Certainly does! Is that the only reason for having the gas, or do you
mean you want it as an alternative fuel source when you can't be
bothered to use charcoal? Can't say I ever have any bother at all using
normal firelighters. If you must though, I'd go for a gas poker; you'd
be able to stick that right in the middle of a pile of charcoal which is
where the flames need to be. They are certainly available somewhere (me
old gran used to have one).

David
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "dj" wrote:

Anyone know of a suitable burner for use under charcoal.

For lighting charcoal I use whatever gas torch I have nearest to hand.
A quick blast of hand-held propane lights anything in a minute, then
leave it for 20 minutes to burn through.

Or if you're in a hurry I use the gas welding set. Pure oxygen (gas,
I'm not George Goble!) will burn charcoal to cookable grey in a couple
of minutes.

Faffing around installing a burner beneath things sounds like a lot
of effort.
dj

For lighting charcoal I use whatever gas torch I have nearest to hand.
A quick blast of hand-held propane lights anything in a minute, then
leave it for 20 minutes to burn through.

Or if you're in a hurry I use the gas welding set. Pure oxygen (gas,
I'm not George Goble!) will burn charcoal to cookable grey in a couple
of minutes.

Faffing around installing a burner beneath things sounds like a lot
of effort.

I agree but considering this is a big (very BIG) BBQ it's worth it. To be
able to switch on a gas burner to get things going will be brilliant,
especially when the charcoal dies - just reload, switch on and 10 mins later
cook again.

So faffing yes but it's what I need so to me it makes sense.

I currently use a gas poker on a smaller BBQ and it works very well.

As for using a hand held torch... no thanks. This will be in a semi public
area so that would be a no-no, especially oxy-acet!