Rick Gould

Default Repair of "automatic burner"

An old -- no, no, make that an ancient -- Westinghouse electric stove has an
inoperable "automatic burner." (It's one of the four burners.) The burner
has some sort of sensor in its center (three wires plus a ground, in
addition to the leads to the heating element). A replacement burner is no
longer available for this stove (Model KAD40XW). How can I wire around the
sensor to disable the automatic function and convert it to a normal burner?
Wiring diagram anyone? Suggestions welcomed.

Rick

Dave Harnish

Hi Rick,

I don't have a diagram for that model#, but to convert most
of these older sensor-burners, you have to replace the sensor-
type switch - basically a thermostat, much like the one in the
oven - with a regular switch, like those used on the other
burners.

If yours is as old as I think it is, the regular switches are tough
to find, too. You might be able to find out more on the classic
appliance site's discussion group: http://classicappliances.com

Hope that's of some help...

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter.
(Back issues now posted here too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3