tarquinlinbin

Default measuring for new windows?

I'm sure this would have been covered before..but here goes..

I have existing wooden windows that are looking a bit iffy. They are
typical,wooden cill in and out. If i wanted to measure accurately to
replace the window with a upvc dg unit with an outer plastic cill how
and where do i measure? Also does anyone know any manufacturers in the
Manchester area that i could submit my order to?

ta

joe
Rick

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:08:55 GMT, tarquinlinbin
wrote:

I'm sure this would have been covered before..but here goes..

I have existing wooden windows that are looking a bit iffy. They are
typical,wooden cill in and out. If i wanted to measure accurately to
replace the window with a upvc dg unit with an outer plastic cill how
and where do i measure? Also does anyone know any manufacturers in the
Manchester area that i could submit my order to?

ta

joe

Joe

I'd measure the brick to brick hole, assuming of cource the window
sits in the brick.

Then I'd take myself down to UPVc cash and carry, with your
measurements, and sketces on what you want. They put it in the
computer, and you get sexy drawings.

Then pay them. 7-10 days later ring them up, and then next day turn up
and collect all your nice windows. You can pay on collection, but the
price goes up 10%

If you goto the M60 pryamid junction comming from the trafford center,
as you hit the slip road, its on your left. So come off the junction,
turn left, then second on the left. Its a well scruffy place. Its
where all the local fitting companines who fit REHAU get their
windows, so you are skipping out the middle man.

You may like to shop arround so you know how cheep these guys are when
you go in there - don't wear your best suit, visiting this place will
rurin it, but you will get good windows.

Rick

Jason

Always measure from the outside from brick to brick and then deduct for a
tolenrence, usually about 3mm either side.

--
Yours
Jason

tarquinlinbin

[...]

Thanks for the info Rick,whats the place called? I live near the
pyramid !!
Lobster

tarquinlinbin wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:35:44 GMT, Rick wrote:

Then I'd take myself down to UPVc cash and carry, with your
measurements, and sketces on what you want. They put it in the
computer, and you get sexy drawings.

Then pay them. 7-10 days later ring them up, and then next day turn up
and collect all your nice windows. You can pay on collection, but the
price goes up 10%

If you goto the M60 pryamid junction comming from the trafford center,
as you hit the slip road, its on your left. So come off the junction,
turn left, then second on the left. Its a well scruffy place. Its
where all the local fitting companines who fit REHAU get their
windows, so you are skipping out the middle man.

Thanks for the info Rick,whats the place called? I live near the
pyramid !!

This interested me greatly too, so I've been googling for it. I think
it must be this place, mentioned he
http://www.brixton.plc.uk/news/view.jsp?id=46120 Can anyone confirm?

The Manchester Window Factory (UK) Ltd
Unit 2, Long Wood Rd
Trafford Park
Manchester
M17 1PZ

Tel: 0161 865 6688

Rick (or anyone else) do you have any indicative costs for windows from
this place?

David

NickFinnigan

"Lobster" wrote in message
tarquinlinbin wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:35:44 GMT, Rick wrote:

Then I'd take myself down to UPVc cash and carry, with your
measurements, and sketces on what you want. They put it in the
computer, and you get sexy drawings.

Thanks for the info Rick,whats the place called? I live near the
pyramid !!

This interested me greatly too, so I've been googling for it. I think
it must be this place, mentioned he
http://www.brixton.plc.uk/news/view.jsp?id=46120 Can anyone confirm?

The Manchester Window Factory (UK) Ltd

Naah. UPVC Cash and Carry, Unit 17 Brighton Road, Stockport.

Biff

Remember that when you remove the original wooden windows and replace
with uPVC you will be devalueing your property and harming the planet.
Mend your wooden ones. In the unlikely event that they need
replacing - not just the cill - then replace them with wooden ones.
If you use oak they will outlast your grandchildren and so be cheaper
in the long run. If you can't afford oak then spcify larch or Douglas
fir and paint them with real linseed oil paint. They will also
outlast you grandchildren. Of course if you don't care about your
grandchildren, your property value, its appearance and the planet
then... it's the placcy rubbish.
Mike

"Biff" wrote in message
om...
Remember that when you remove the original wooden windows and replace
with uPVC you will be devalueing your property and harming the planet.
Mend your wooden ones. In the unlikely event that they need
replacing - not just the cill - then replace them with wooden ones.
If you use oak they will outlast your grandchildren and so be cheaper
in the long run. If you can't afford oak then spcify larch or Douglas
fir and paint them with real linseed oil paint. They will also
outlast you grandchildren. Of course if you don't care about your
grandchildren, your property value, its appearance and the planet
then... it's the placcy rubbish.

Well said !

I really don't understand how people think uPVC windows are either
acceptable or even aesitically pleasing. They are the turkey-twisters of
home-building and are the single biggest argument for making everywhere
conservation areas.

Lobster

Mike wrote:
"Biff" wrote in message
om...

[...]

I loathe and despise them myself, but I totally disagree that fitting
them will necessarily devalue your home; and whereas I also don't
understand how people like them the simple fact is that they do,
experience has shown me that for many buyers, they are a "must have".

David

Lobster

NickFinnigan wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

tarquinlinbin wrote:

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:35:44 GMT, Rick wrote:

Then I'd take myself down to UPVc cash and carry, with your
measurements, and sketces on what you want. They put it in the
computer, and you get sexy drawings.

Thanks for the info Rick,whats the place called? I live near the
pyramid !!

This interested me greatly too, so I've been googling for it. I think
it must be this place, mentioned he
http://www.brixton.plc.uk/news/view.jsp?id=46120 Can anyone confirm?

The Manchester Window Factory (UK) Ltd

Naah. UPVC Cash and Carry, Unit 17 Brighton Road, Stockport.

You're saying this is an *alternative* (better) supplier than Rick's, right?

David

Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
"Biff" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Which is why we need more conservation areas. If so many buyers have such
poor taste what is the alternative ?

Rick

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:34:46 GMT, tarquinlinbin
wrote:

[...]

UPVC Cash & Carry

Rick

NickFinnigan

"Lobster" wrote in message
NickFinnigan wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

tarquinlinbin wrote:

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:35:44 GMT, Rick wrote:

Then I'd take myself down to UPVc cash and carry, with your
measurements, and sketces on what you want. They put it in the
computer, and you get sexy drawings.

Thanks for the info Rick,whats the place called? I live near the
pyramid !!

This interested me greatly too, so I've been googling for it. I think
it must be this place, mentioned he
http://www.brixton.plc.uk/news/view.jsp?id=46120 Can anyone confirm?

The Manchester Window Factory (UK) Ltd

Naah. UPVC Cash and Carry, Unit 17 Brighton Road, Stockport.

You're saying this is an *alternative* (better) supplier than Rick's, right?

No, I'm saying Manchester Window Factory is something else.

'UPVC cash and carry' is the name Rick mentioned.
Pyramid junction M60 is Stockport.
First left then second left is Brighton Road.
They are in the Yellow Pages.

Measuring for Windows SidKnee UK diy 1 April 6th 05 10:45 AM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Newpro - Avoid them at ALL costs! Kevin Mandeville Home Ownership 0 October 3rd 03 10:15 PM
adding on to our house - which windows? Michele Home Ownership 4 September 11th 03 05:38 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM