Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
"Biff" wrote in message
om...

Remember that when you remove the original wooden windows and replace
with uPVC you will be devalueing your property and harming the planet.
Mend your wooden ones. In the unlikely event that they need
replacing - not just the cill - then replace them with wooden ones.
If you use oak they will outlast your grandchildren and so be cheaper
in the long run. If you can't afford oak then spcify larch or Douglas
fir and paint them with real linseed oil paint. They will also
outlast you grandchildren. Of course if you don't care about your
grandchildren, your property value, its appearance and the planet
then... it's the placcy rubbish.

Well said !

I really don't understand how people think uPVC windows are either
acceptable or even aesitically pleasing. They are the turkey-twisters

of
home-building and are the single biggest argument for making everywhere
conservation areas.

I loathe and despise them myself, but I totally disagree that fitting
them will necessarily devalue your home; and whereas I also don't
understand how people like them the simple fact is that they do,
experience has shown me that for many buyers, they are a "must have".

Which is why we need more conservation areas. If so many buyers have such
poor taste what is the alternative ?