nightjar

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
It does in mine as it has serious
solar gain problems in sunny weather.

Shading.

Not a practical option as that would mean the plants would get inadequate
light levels.

It would cost more to correct those
at source than it would to treat the
symptoms with aircon.

I doubt it. Then you have to run an a/c too.

But not very often.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

"raden" wrote in message
In message , nightjar
writes

"raden" wrote in message

We don't have hot summer nights

We do on the South Coast and even a week of disturbed sleep is too much
IMO.

Steer clear of the equatorial regions then ... you'd melt

Constant high temperature is less of a problem than a short period of
unusually high temperature, as you acclimatise to it. I find that takes me
about a week, by which time, in the UK, the temperature will have dropped
again. Given the choice, I still use aircon in hot climates, but then I find
that around 28C becomes comfortable, while that is about where I want aircon
in the UK.

Colin Bignell

raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Lots of wisdom from me...

The ambient can be 25C and above,
yet the house cvan be way below this
inside, if adequate insulation,

....from shining his cabers......... he thinks a bit and storms

away.....

I do wish you'd stop wanking

.......he looked, he thunk...and gurgitates forth........

Well you stopped for long

I snipped the total balls for your convenience

Well that'll stop dIMM from wanking

--
geoff
markzoom

"nightjar" wrote in message ...
"raden" wrote in message
In message , nightjar
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Hugh
writes

Hi I have been looking at different air conditioning for my home lounge.
I have looked at the B & Q options and also at www.global-cooling.co.uk
air conditioning DIY systems. I have looked at the easy fit Air Force
and Millenniumair models, has any one had any experience with either? I
have heard that I should go for an inverter system if possible?

Advice for a newby appreciated!

In the UK ?

Why not? If I could find a quiet one, I would have it in the bedroom to
help
me sleep on hot summer nights.

We don't have hot summer nights

We do on the South Coast and even a week of disturbed sleep is too much IMO.

Colin Bignell

I live on the S.coast and we don't get "hot summer nights". In fact
it's too ****ing cold to even sit outside at night in the summer.
You already have free air conditioning, it's called a "window".
Alternatively you could go have a holiday somewhere cold if a little
warmth bothers you that much....
M.K.
John Rumm

Doctor Evil wrote:

The machines are cheap to buy.

They are not.

A reasonable monoblock unit can be had for 200 - 250 these days. That
will condition a small office without too much difficulty. Gain half a
days productivity as a result and it is paid for.

The cost of running them is insignificant
compared to the loss of productivity

Irrelevant point. The point is that the place can be cool with a/c.

Why is it irrelevant if you are agreeing?

If you want to get all eco then you
could arrange some of the cooling
using heat pipes etc.

This you should do. Effective and cheap to run, unlike a/c.

This is one of your "everyone wants a combi" type arguments. i.e. Silly.
You need to look at the practicalities and the costs in each case. Each
have pros and cons, and you can't fully evaluate either with a flippant
statement.

You also need to get your head round the concept that we are all
different, and conditions that one person finds "comfortable", another
may find intolerable. Hence it is rather pointless prognosticating what
people should and should not want or need. The only person you can make
that decision for is yourself.

--
Cheers,

John.

nightjar

"markzoom" wrote in message
om...
I live on the S.coast and we don't get "hot summer nights".

You may find this difficult to believe, but other people can have different
opinions from yours.

In fact
it's too ****ing cold to even sit outside at night in the summer.

I don't sleep in the garden, so it is the temperature inside that concerns
me.

You already have free air conditioning, it's called a "window".

Assuming I ever got a tuit for rebuilding the sashes and fitting new cords,
windows do not give a very good control of air flow. It always tends to be
too little or too great and I also dislike drafts.

Alternatively you could go have a holiday somewhere cold if a little
warmth bothers you that much....

It is not unusual for my house to top 30C during the summer and that can
last for several days. As I mentioned elsewhere, it has a lot of solar gain.

Colin Bignell

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:08:20 GMT, raden wrote:

Steer clear of the equatorial regions then ... you'd melt

Been there. Whilst it is hotter the humidity is lower making the heat
bearable.

That's why aircon is preferable..not only does it cool the air but it
dries it as well.

sponix

Doctor Evil

"markzoom" wrote in message
om...
"nightjar" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
In message , nightjar
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Hugh
writes

Hi I have been looking at different air conditioning for my home

lounge.
I have looked at the B & Q options and also at

www.global-cooling.co.uk
[...]

Sounds a case for the doctor, if they think the south coast is unbearably
hot.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
Lots of wisdom from me...

The ambient can be 25C and above,
yet the house cvan be way below this
inside, if adequate insulation,

....from shining his cabers......... he thinks a bit and storms

away.....

I do wish you'd stop wanking

.......he looked, he thunk...and gurgitates forth........

Well you stopped for long

I snipped the total balls for your convenience

Well that'll stop dIMM from wanking

Maxie, that is disgusting. Telling us about Dim Lin, the Oriental
enchantresses personal habits. Shame on you.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

John Rumm:
Doctor Evil wrote:

As is often the case when you make this assertion, you also ignore the

possibility that people have heat sources in their homes which will
raise the ambient temperature.

It needs to be addressed if theyre excessive. Rarely is it enough of a
problem to make the system unworkable, but it can be. Solar gain
usually dwarfs this.

More insulation makes this problem worse not better.

The idea is to effectively capture the night time coolth, to make the
mass of the building cold. During the day this cold brickwork steadily
cools the indoor air to below outdoor temp. Insulation helps this
process, if its on the outside. It stops it dead if its on the inside.

The second point to bear in mind is that air conditioning is as much
about humidity control as is is about temperature.

Dropping the indoor temp to 23/24 makes it nice and comfortable, dried
or not.

Aircon is often the only way to remain productive in such

environments

Its just the only way people know about. Other methods work, some
people use them. Some used to be more popular in the centuries before
a/c.

The one real plus with ac is its a thoughtles process. Slap yer dough
on the table, problem fixed. No-one has to think, or understand
anything, and it works in almost any case if you throw enough money at
it. But:
1. its pretty costly for what it is, other methods cost much less
2. Its an irresponsible waste of energy

The ambient can be 25C and above, yet the hosue cvan be way below this

inside, if adfequate insulation, thermal mass, ventilation from the

shaded
north side and shading is used. The temperaure goes down at night,

and then
you pull in outside air from you vent fan to cool the hosue and its

fabric.
Not rocket science, all well know simple facts and methods.

True, bar one point. Ventilation during day time makes things warmer,
and is usually better avoided. Only when evaporatively cooled vent is
used does it help. But thats fairly easy to set up if wanted.

The second point to bear in mind is that air conditioning is as much

about humidity control as is is about temperature. High temperature

by
itself is not as much of a problem for most people as when combined

with
high humidity.

Lower the temp at the humidity falls. Inside will be cooler than

outside.
All well know ways of doing it.

RH rises when air cools. If you get the temp comfortable, its not a
problem. Its only significant when youre not managing to get enough
cooling, then RH makes a noticeable difference. At 23C it doesnt.

You haven't got adequate shading, insulation and ventilation. That

is clear
and simple. People just don't understand the basics, and run out to

buy an
expensive magic machine, that pollutes and cost an arm and leg to

run.

I worry to say it, but hes right for once. Got to give the dog his day.

sponix:
At the very best, assuming zero losses, you are only ever going to be

able to produce an internal daytime temperature equal to that outside

overnight.

In practice, due to losses, the lowest achievable temperature will be

somewhat higher than the lowest nighttime temperature.

You missed the trick he's using.

John Rumm:
Doctor Evil wrote:

The ambient can be 25C and above, yet the hosue cvan be way below

this
inside, if adfequate insulation, thermal mass, ventilation from the

shaded
north side and shading is used. The temperaure goes down at night,

and then
you pull in outside air from you vent fan to cool the hosue and its

fabric.
Not rocket science, all well know simple facts and methods.

What even when the outside air is hotter and wetter than the

environment
I wish to create?

yup, night time coldth is stored in the bricks etc.

Lower the temperature enough and the water will start to condense

out.
Uncontrolled on cold surfaces inside a building this is undesirable,

It doesnt happen in practice.

Shading is not really needed - north side of the building so no

direct
solar gain.

there will be, although much less than on the south.

Insulation - got loads of that.

inside the thermal mass or outside? If its on the inside, this method
can not be used.

The machines are cheap to buy. The cost of running them is

insignificant
compared to the loss of productivity suffered as a result of not

having
them. Simple economics really. (plus I get to stay cool and dry).

There are better options though.

What even when the outside air is hotter
and wetter than the environment
I wish to create?

Air is cooler on the north side, especially under geenary.

air from damp shaded patch will be below ambient, partly due to
evaporative cooling.

Lower the temp and the humidity falls.

Wrong there IMM, but he wont listen.

You need direct vent extraction of the ceilings to get rid of the hot

pool
of air below the ceiling.

sash windows were invented for that purpose. There are other ways of
addressing that as well.

A reasonable monoblock unit can be had for 200 - 250 these days. That

will condition a small office without too much difficulty. Gain half

days productivity as a result and it is paid for.

plus fitting, plus run costs. Not everyone has that spare. Its also a
huge waste of energy.

If you want to get all eco then you could arrange some of the

cooling
using heat pipes etc.

Was not suggesting it does not work, more a case of it not exactly

being
a straight forward retro fit. It also requires you have enough area of

land available to bury the pipes. It is also going to cost a

reasonable
amount in comparison to a couple of hundred for basic aircon.

Similar money when you throw in ac fitting cost. Its the run cost that
makes the big difference, earth pipe is miles more efficient.

You would
also need to backup the earth pipe with some form of dehumidifier to
achieve proper aircon with it, and that will lose some of the energy
saving advantage.

no need. The cold air supplied by the pipe is dried by chilling in the
earth pipe. If using a heat exchanger setup, the heat exchanger will
dry the air just the same as a/c.
And finally, high RH is only a problem when there is inadequate
cooling.

NT

John Rumm

Doctor Evil wrote:

Were they obese? Probably so,

No, mostly they were old, or infirm, or recovering from other illness,
or people with asthma.

self inflicted, just like smoking. They know
the problem and chose to do nothing. No sympathy.

You are beneath contempt.

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , markzoom
writes
I live on the S.coast and we don't get "hot summer nights". In fact
it's too ****ing cold to even sit outside at night in the summer.
You already have free air conditioning, it's called a "window".
Alternatively you could go have a holiday somewhere cold if a little
warmth bothers you that much....

That's called the moderating influence of the sea that is

IIRC from first year geography

--
geoff
raden

In message , nightjar
writes

"markzoom" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

One wonders how folk survived the summers and winters on this fair isle
100 years ago

--
geoff
Pete C

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:13:05 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

"markzoom" wrote in message
. com...

You already have free air conditioning, it's called a "window".

Assuming I ever got a tuit for rebuilding the sashes and fitting new cords,
windows do not give a very good control of air flow. It always tends to be
too little or too great and I also dislike drafts.

You can close or partly close the windows when it's cool enough. Air
conditioners work by creating a cold draught too.

cheers,
Pete.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Sounds a case for the doctor, if they think the south coast is unbearably
hot.

Is that the same thing as thinking everyone should use tiny baths? Or
showers that provide the same sort of flow as a dog ****ing on your leg?

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
raden writes:
One wonders how folk survived the summers and winters on this fair isle
100 years ago

IME, 100 year old houses don't have a problem - mine stays nice
and cool in the summer heat.
It's the newer houses with no thermal mass which are a disaster
in the summer - insulation isn't effective when there's no thermal
mass inside it to stay cool.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
Lots of wisdom from me...

The ambient can be 25C and above,
yet the house cvan be way below this
inside, if adequate insulation,

....from shining his cabers......... he thinks
a bit and storms away.....

I do wish you'd stop wanking

.......yes he did say that above.....he did........incredible I know.......

snip babbling balls to make matters easier for all of you

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

nightjar

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:13:05 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

"markzoom" wrote in message
.com...

You already have free air conditioning, it's called a "window".

Assuming I ever got a tuit for rebuilding the sashes and fitting new
cords,
windows do not give a very good control of air flow. It always tends to be
too little or too great and I also dislike drafts.

You can close or partly close the windows when it's cool enough.

Having to get up in the middle of the night to make adjustments rather
defeats the object of getting the room cool enough to sleep in the first
place.

Air
conditioners work by creating a cold draught too.

No, they work by circulating air at a controlled rate of flow. If properly
designed, that rate of flow is less than the level that will be perceived as
a draft.

Colin Bignell

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:45:46 GMT, raden wrote:

One wonders how folk survived the summers and winters on this fair isle
100 years ago

Summers were cooler 100 years ago.

markzoom

"nightjar" wrote in message ...
"markzoom" wrote in message
om...
[...]

30C is no big deal, just use a sheet instead of a duvet, or nothing.
Think of all that CO2 you're not having to pump into the atmos.
Sorry but if you can't cope with (nay enjoy) such relatively small and
rare temperature variations then roll on Mr.Darwin and natural
selection.
M.K.
markzoom

"nightjar" wrote in message ...
"Pete C" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:13:05 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

"markzoom" wrote in message
.com...

You already have free air conditioning, it's called a "window".

Assuming I ever got a tuit for rebuilding the sashes and fitting new
cords,
windows do not give a very good control of air flow. It always tends to be
too little or too great and I also dislike drafts.

You can close or partly close the windows when it's cool enough.

Having to get up in the middle of the night to make adjustments rather
defeats the object of getting the room cool enough to sleep in the first
place.

Air
conditioners work by creating a cold draught too.

No, they work by circulating air at a controlled rate of flow. If properly
designed, that rate of flow is less than the level that will be perceived as
a draft.

Colin Bignell

I think you might be one of those people who would benefit greatly
from experiencing or even seeing some real "hardship". A place where
3" cockroaches, swarms of mosquitoes and 2ft lizards croaking +
scrabbling about on the tin roof keep you awake would be just the
thing for you. Coconuts crashing down on it in the middle of the night
can be a bit of a nuisance, not as bad as the neighbours cockerel
though.... You'd really get to appreciate "draughts".
M.K.
markzoom

Andrew McKay wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:09:23 GMT, raden wrote:

We don't have hot summer nights

You are kidding. There are typically a couple of nights a year when
it's scorching hot.

It's surprising that people survive.....
M.K.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

markzoom

"Heds" wrote in message oups.com...
raden wrote:
In message , nightjar
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Hugh
writes

Hi I have been looking at different air conditioning for my home

lounge.
I have looked at the B & Q options and also at

www.global-cooling.co.uk
air conditioning DIY systems. I have looked at the easy fit Air

Force
and Millenniumair models, has any one had any experience with

either? I
have heard that I should go for an inverter system if possible?

Advice for a newby appreciated!

In the UK ?

Why not? If I could find a quiet one, I would have it in the bedroom

to help
me sleep on hot summer nights.

We don't have hot summer nights

--
geoff

What?

We most certainly do. Just last year it was very hot during the night
in our bedroom, and this was after having kept the curtains closed all
day to try and shade the room.

/Heds

You have no idea of what "hot" is (or how to enjoy it).
M.K.

markzoom

Doctor Evil wrote:

Lots of wisdom from me...

The ambient can be 25C and above,
yet the house cvan be way below this
inside, if adequate insulation,

....from shining his cabers......... he thinks a bit and storms away.....

I do wish you'd stop wanking

......yes so that is what he does with his cabers...my, oh, my.....is there
a law against what he does?.......

I think that's why some here claim to get "unbearably hot" at night,
maybe they should stop wanking.
M.K.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Tony Bryer

In article , Raden wrote:
One wonders how folk survived the summers and winters on this fair
isle 100 years ago

In my Junior school (built 1841: I was there 1960-64) we survived
the winters by wearing our coats in class. As far as summers were
concerned, buildings generally had a much greater thermal mass, also
greater ceiling heights and sash windows which provide much better
ventilation. And generally in the winter people wore mo how many
men wear vests these days?

Also expectations were lower: into the 1960's many cars came with a
heater as an optional extra; now a/c is probably in 50%? of new cars
and this may drive a demand for domestic a/c

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Pete C

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 01:10:20 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Assuming I ever got a tuit for rebuilding the sashes and fitting new
cords,
windows do not give a very good control of air flow. It always tends to be
too little or too great and I also dislike drafts.

You can close or partly close the windows when it's cool enough.

Having to get up in the middle of the night to make adjustments rather
defeats the object of getting the room cool enough to sleep in the first
place.

Hi,

Try moving the furniture so the head of the bed is not directly
opposite the window, and then try adjusting your duvet

If you can DIY a 'loft hatch' fan as described elsewhere or build
something to fit an open sash, this could be controlled via
timer/remote sockets/thermostat or a combination.

One of the things _most_ people like about summer is being able to
sleep next to an open window to get a cool breeze of fresh air
throughout the night.

cheers,
Pete
Jeff

markzoom wrote :-

30C is no big deal, just use a sheet instead of a duvet, or nothing.
Think of all that CO2 you're not having to pump into the atmos.
Sorry but if you can't cope with (nay enjoy) such relatively small and
rare temperature variations then roll on Mr.Darwin and natural
selection.

For those of us who work nights and sleep during the day Aircon is the only
practical solution, all this talk of earth pipes, etc etc does not really
apply as we are talking about one room in isolation. Opening a window is not
an option for noise reasons.
I will be getting aircon after our extension is completed because we are
moving our bedroom to the south side so it will be considerably hotter, the
present bedroom is north side but by a main road.
Night working requires a totally different outlook to this problem - try
doing 12 hour nights in the summer and then comment constructively

Regards Jeff