Jeff

Doctor Evil wrote :-

Not so. Do all the points I have highlighted and install an earth pipe

and
no polluting a/c needed. Are you obese?

LOL - what has obesity got to do with it ?
the answer is no btw

hmm let me think....... dig up the small garden in which 5 years ago with
the aid of a mini digger I buried vast amounts of concrete, to lay a pipe in
ground with a very high water table which I then have to duct to my bedroom
and install a fan, stat etc......
or
Install a nice shiny air con unit, running costs are of no importance as it
will only be used when ambient temp dictates (not very often in this
country)
I love the heat but for the limited cooling I require aircon is the simplist
solution imho

Regards Jeff

Pete C

On 9 Apr 2005 15:47:36 -0700, wrote:

it will be a real
annoyance. If you want to try it, sure, but almost any fan is going

make an unacceptable racket at night.

IME the fans aren't that noisy on low,

theyre inadequate on full, on low just a waste of time.

They'll give you *far* more air flow than an open window alone on a
still day/night, probably 1 or 2 m3/s

This time I'm thinking of going for upstairs crossflow first, then
hopefully earth pipe or loft ventilation to give complete cool all
summer on minimal energy use.

Sounds good but it's worth doing some calculations on the earth pipe
and crossflow fans, otherwise they might end up using more energy than
a decent A/C. What sort of kW in/out and temp drop/airflow do you
expect from the earth pipe?

Fitting extra window locks that allow you to have the top 2" of the
windows staying open is more useful. And putting in crossflow
ventilation in the loft to cool that down.

Not easy to add crossflow ventilation I would have thought.

I'm not sure what problem you see. It is simple to add locks to sash
windows so they sit 2" open. Open front and back, and you get cross
ventilation. It will often be necessary to add door grills as well.

OK how would you ventilate the loft or would you leave it as is? I
would have thought a good route is in through the hatch and out under
the eaves, hence a fan in the hatch. There are better ways of doing it
but would require work to the roof.

cheers,
Pete.
Jeff

markzoom wrote :-

Mark has apparently manged to bruise the fragile little ego of a
maggot-dicked SUV driver.

Not at all...... below is a selection of your posts in this thread, mostly
argumentative, insulting and antagonistic.

It's surprising that people survive.....

I think you might be one of those people who would benefit greatly

from experiencing or even seeing some real "hardship".

Sorry but if you can't cope with (nay enjoy) such relatively small and

rare temperature variations then roll on Mr.Darwin and natural
selection.

You have no idea of what "hot" is (or how to enjoy it).

You need to toughen up. Air conditioning (in the UK) is for whimps

Ya big girl's blouse!

There is no such thing as "unbearable heat" in the UK.

anyone considering air conditioning for a normal brit bedroom is a

liliylivered big girl's blouse

You wouldn't be a maggot-dicked SUV driver by any chance? They are the

worst.

Contribution is fine, but please keep your anti british bigotry to yourself

Regards Jeff

Capitol

Pete C wrote:
Though it doesn't get that cold in summer here, nothing a light duvet
couldn't handle.

Apart from the draughts around the edges when she decides that it's all
hers!

Regards
Capitol
Pete C

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:25:56 +0100, Capitol
wrote:

Pete C wrote:
Though it doesn't get that cold in summer here, nothing a light duvet
couldn't handle.

Apart from the draughts around the edges when she decides that it's all
hers!

Two duvets! Either combine them for one super large duvet or go for
dual duvet operation.

A win win win situation!

cheers,
Pete.

markzoom

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
markzoom wrote :-

[...]

Why? Quite a lot of brits would agree that the british are getting way
too soft.
Quite a large number would also agree that most SUV drivers are a
sorry bunch.
Obviously quite a few agree that air conditioning is an unnecessary
waste of energy.
You might not agree, but it's a free NG. Don't like, don't read, don't
reply, that's what filters are for, your choice.
M.K.
Junior Member

Cool

I decided in the end to opt for the air con from www.global-cooling.co.uk , I received all the kit and tools required, bar a drill and core cutter that i hired from speedy's. I fitted it in about 2 hours tops, it was really easy and the effect is really good. I decided against the B&Q system after going in and asking a sales person, they didn't know much about the product and what I did in event of a break down. Global offered me the advice I needed and even answered my calls over the weekend. It brings in fresh air and has other gizmos that filter the air from dust and bugs etc. It looks very neat and i was amazed at how quiet it was when on. The outdoor bit of it was very quiet as well, so no problems for neighbours there.

Thanks everyone for posting, will keep you updated.
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 03:22:19 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

So who's fault is it then?

Does it have to be anyones fault? Is it someones fault they have an
auto-immune disese? Is it someones fault that heat and humidity makes it
worse?

It's just another example of the blame culture that has developed in
this country.

He'll sue himself next time he trips over that ego of his...

John Rumm

Hugh wrote:
I decided in the end to opt for the air con from
www.global-cooling.co.uk , I received all the kit and tools required,

Which model did you go for?

--
Cheers,

John.

Owain

markzoom wrote:
Exactly. It isn't the weather's fault either because asthmatics can
get weather forecasts.

That's a bit like tying someone to a railway line and telling them the
11.15 from Paddington is running on time today.

Owain

John Rumm

Owain wrote:

markzoom wrote:

Exactly. It isn't the weather's fault either because asthmatics can
get weather forecasts.

That's a bit like tying someone to a railway line and telling them the
11.15 from Paddington is running on time today.

No, I thin he is trying to say they can watch the forecast and be fore
warned to turn on the aircon ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Junior Member

Hi John,

I went for the Millenniumair 12000 btu Inverter heat pump with fresh air make up. Here is the link http://www.global-cooling.co.uk/millennium12fpanel.php . It was a pleasure today, the weather has picked up so it gave me the first real opportunity to test it out!
Pete C

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:51:41 +0100, Hugh
wrote:

Hi John,

I went for the Millenniumair 12000 btu Inverter heat pump with fresh
air make up. Here is the link
http://www.global-cooling.co.uk/millennium12fpanel.php . It was a
pleasure today, the weather has picked up so it gave me the first real
opportunity to test it out!

Hi,

It wasn't /that/ hot today, 16C tops:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGLL/2005/4/12/DailyHistory.html?FULLALMANAC=EGLL

Probably just as good to open a window (if there is one I hope!) and
use a fan.

cheers,
Pete.
Junior Member

Quote:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...LLALMANAC=EGLL

Probably just as good to open a window (if there is one I hope!) and
use a fan.

cheers,
Pete.

It was an opportunity to test the operation and the noise levels on the different settings. It was not particularily hot yesterday but enough to give the air conditioner a run. I would not open a window due to traffic noise etc. and a fan, they are noisier than the traffic!

cheers

Hugh
AlexW

markzoom wrote:

Asthmatics die because they don't use
their medication.

What utter twaddle!

I am Asthmatic and can speak from considerable personal experience,
although I admit I am still alive.

I had an attack in 2000 which put me in hospital HDU for a week on 36%
O2 and IV steroids for the first 3 days. It nearly did me in.

It had nothing to do with taking med's, which I was doing and continue
to do.

You are *WRONG* and clearly *IGNORANT* about Asthma.