Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
One of the things _most_ people like about summer is being able to
sleep next to an open window to get a cool breeze of fresh air
throughout the night.

I leave a pedestal fan set to low on overnight on hot summer nights. the
slight constant noise doesn't seem to bother me.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:58:10 +0100, Pete C
wrote:

Making a second loft hatch that has a 'box fan' or similar built in is
a good way of ventilating house and loft.

I have a box fan and might try this as an experiment.

So, the fan should be blowing into the loft to cool it. Should it be
run during the day (To cool the hot loft) or run at night (To draw
cold air into the house)?

nightjar

"markzoom" wrote in message
om...
I think you might be one of those people who would benefit greatly
from experiencing or even seeing some real "hardship". ...

Done that, but I don't see why I should needlessly to inconvenience myself,
just because there are people out there who have no choice. I consider it to
be of much more value to them if I buy a water borehole each year, having
given up on paying for innoculations since they became a corporate fashion.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 01:10:20 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:13:05 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

Assuming I ever got a tuit for rebuilding the sashes and fitting new
cords,
windows do not give a very good control of air flow. It always tends to
be
too little or too great and I also dislike drafts.

You can close or partly close the windows when it's cool enough.

Having to get up in the middle of the night to make adjustments rather
defeats the object of getting the room cool enough to sleep in the first
place.

Hi,

Try moving the furniture so the head of the bed is not directly
opposite the window, and then try adjusting your duvet

It would be much easier to fit air conditioning.

One of the things _most_ people like about summer is being able to
sleep next to an open window to get a cool breeze of fresh air
throughout the night.

One man's fresh air is another man's draft.

Colin Bignell

Hugh wrote:

1. a big external fan on a timer, or better on a differential
thermostat. I've had typically 4-6C drop with this arrangement, max
10C. The idea is to run it evening and night only, bringing in

cooler
air for hours cools down the house structure so you get less peak

temp
in the next day. Note that one is not much use, you need 2 arranged

give a through draft. With more thought it may be poss to arrange

this
passively: this is a better option when implementable.

The problem I find with the UK is that even with an unbearably humid
day the evenings can still be very cool so I wouldn't want my house

any
cooler at night thanks.

it is sometimes necessary to limit how cold it gets at night.
Thermostats take care of the comfort zone.

On cold nights, what happens is the house air cools until the stat
switches the cooling ventiaion off, then temp rises again due to stored
heat, so the cooling ventilation comes on again etc.

In the UK it's the humidity not the
temperature that is the problem.

If that were really true,

1. people would use a dehumidifier instead of a/c, whereas in reality
it doesnt make much difference

2. evaporative coolers, which improve comfort by several degrees (but
thats all) would make things worse not better.

RH does matter, but it seems to have been blown out of proportion in
popular thinking.

I'm digging out my garden at the
moment and might lay an earth pipe as an experiment.

excellant. If you can put 20-30' of 4" pipe 1m down you should be able
to get seriously cold in summer. Anything less should give you more
reasonable cooling levels.

NT

wrote:

Making a second loft hatch that has a 'box fan' or similar built in

is
a good way of ventilating house and loft.

I have a box fan and might try this as an experiment.

So, the fan should be blowing into the loft to cool it. Should it be
run during the day (To cool the hot loft) or run at night (To draw
cold air into the house)?

It depends what else youve got going, but in mosts cases all the time
24/7. Only if youre doing enough to get interior temps below outdoor
temps is it worth switching such a fan off.

But what... it is cheaper and more reliable to use natural airflow
instead of electric fans. Its also a damn sight nicer to have silence
than some horrible noise all day and night.

How to use natural airflow? 2 loft vents, the thermostatic greenhouse
venting kind. They need no power, and open a window when it gets hot.
You need 2 to get crossflow. Sticking a fan in is easier of course.

NT

Pete C wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:00:19 GMT, (s--p--o--n--i--x)
wrote:

Making a second loft hatch that has a 'box fan' or similar built in

is
a good way of ventilating house and loft.

I have a box fan and might try this as an experiment.

So, the fan should be blowing into the loft to cool it. Should it be
run during the day (To cool the hot loft) or run at night (To draw
cold air into the house)?

Hi,

I doubt it would cool the loft much in the day

lofts really cook in summer. Thats one reason upstairs is always hotter
than down. Really though you want a lot of ventilation, and a box fan
isnt a lot.

but it will help cool
it quicker in the evening, and cool the house when indoor temps start
to rise above outdoor.

it does, so does opening windows.

So I'd switch it on or set a timer for when the indoor temp may start
rising above outdoor (an indoor/outdoor thermometer would help to
determine this) then switch off at daybreak.

Yeah. I found that proper control gave a lot more result than rough
control. A dif stat really is important if you want to get a decent
result from it. Without this, the results arent there.

For a more permanent install some louvres would help hide the fan
itself, and rubber or foam bushings to minimise any fan noise.

I would not put a fan on the loft floor at all, it will be a real
annoyance. If you want to try it, sure, but almost any fan is going to
make an unacceptable racket at night.

Fitting extra window locks that allow you to have the top 2" of the
windows staying open is more useful. And putting in crossflow
ventilation in the loft to cool that down.

If on broadband a program like 'Weather Exchange' is good for
monitoring outdoor temperatures etc:

http://www.ambientweather.com/weex1.html

ahh, not heard of that before. Will go look. It offers weather news,
but I saw no mention of real time temp measurement.

I didnt find any commercial diff stats, need to make your own. Not hard
though.

NT

raden

In message , markzoom
writes
Air
conditioners work by creating a cold draught too.

No, they work by circulating air at a controlled rate of flow. If properly
designed, that rate of flow is less than the level that will be perceived as
a draft.

Colin Bignell

I think you might be one of those people who would benefit greatly
from experiencing or even seeing some real "hardship". A place where
3" cockroaches, swarms of mosquitoes and 2ft lizards croaking +
scrabbling about on the tin roof keep you awake would be just the
thing for you. Coconuts crashing down on it in the middle of the night
can be a bit of a nuisance, not as bad as the neighbours cockerel
though.... You'd really get to appreciate "draughts".
M.K.

Huh - I bet you've never had a cockroach fall off a rafter into your
mouth while you were asleep

Yuuuuk

--
geoff
raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

I do wish you'd stop wanking

......yes he did say that above.....he did........incredible I know.......

snip babbling balls to make matters easier for all of you

Well if you did, you might be able to spell correctly, and actually
think what you were saying

--
geoff
John Rumm

markzoom wrote:

coats in the middle of summer!). Asthmatics die because they don't use
their medication.

You do talk ********.

I have a friend who has serious (i.e. life theatening) asthma, her
breathing (at its best) is well *below* the level at which most
asthmatics are instructed to ring for an ambulance. This is on full
medication. In the summer the heat and humidity means her breathing gets
worse. Putting her at very great risk.

That is their fault, not someone else's, and certainly not the fault
of the taxpayer for not providing every pensioner/asthmatic with air
conditioning, dipstick.

Er, who was suggesting that the taxpayer provides aircon?

As it happens I thought that aircon probably would help my friend
greatly in the worst two or three summer months, so I bought her a
monoblock aircon unit so she could have at least one cool and dry room
in the house to seek respite in. Guess what? I was right, it does help
greatly.

So get over it.

Rarely, and usually it's again their own fault. In GB you have to be
terminally stupid to die from warm weather.

You would have to be terminally stupid to believe that only stupid
people die in hot weather. Lets face it, you are still here.

--
Cheers,

John.

markzoom

raden wrote in message ...
[...]

Yuuuk, no! But then I did bring a mosquito net.
M.K.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
it is sometimes necessary to limit how cold it gets at night.
Thermostats take care of the comfort zone.

FFS, when I was a kid I had ice on the inside of my bedroom window

You had glass in your windows? Kids these days...

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
markzoom

John Rumm wrote in message ...
markzoom wrote:

[...]

All the above being irrelevant since the poster is neither old nor asthmatic.
M.K.
John Rumm

markzoom wrote:

All the above being irrelevant since the poster is neither old nor asthmatic.
M.K.

Have you been taking Dr. Drivel pills?

Your post had nothing to do with the OP. I was responding to your post.
You are the one who said "Asthmatics die because they don't use
their medication. That is their fault, not someone else's".

I was highligting that the statement was plainly untrue and ilogical as
well as being just plain offensive.

The OP wanted advice on choice of air conditioner, not a lecture about
how you think you could spend his money more wisely than him, Have you
ever thought of getting into politics? You would feel well at home.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:
markzoom wrote:

All the above being irrelevant since the poster is neither old nor

asthmatic.
M.K.

Have you been taking Dr. Drivel pills?

Your post had nothing to do with the OP. I was responding to your

post.
You are the one who said "Asthmatics die because they don't use
their medication. That is their fault, not someone else's".

I was highligting that the statement was plainly untrue and ilogical

as
well as being just plain offensive.

The OP wanted advice on choice of air conditioner, not a lecture

about
how you think you could spend his money more wisely than him, Have

you
ever thought of getting into politics? You would feel well at home.

The trouble with giving a sensible reply is you only get another
halfwit response... then another. And nothing gets done meanwhile.

NT

markzoom

John Rumm wrote in message ...
markzoom wrote:

All the above being irrelevant since the poster is neither old nor asthmatic.
M.K.

Have you been taking Dr. Drivel pills?

No, I'm getting tired of responding to your's though.

Your post had nothing to do with the OP. I was responding to your post.
You are the one who said "Asthmatics die because they don't use
their medication. That is their fault, not someone else's".

So who's fault is it then?

I was highligting that the statement was plainly untrue and ilogical as
well as being just plain offensive.

The OP wanted advice on choice of air conditioner, not a lecture about
how you think you could spend his money more wisely than him, Have you
ever thought of getting into politics? You would feel well at home.

I'm much to forthright for that, and I stand by my statement that
anyone considering air conditioning for a normal brit bedroom is a
liliylivered big girl's blouse, whatsmore everyone is affected by the
pollution caused from unecessary energy use (heatwaves being an
apparent side-effect).
You wouldn't be a maggot-dicked SUV driver by any chance? They are the
worst.

M.K.

--
Cheers,

John.

Jeff

markzoom wrote :-
I'm much to forthright for that, and I stand by my statement that
anyone considering air conditioning for a normal brit bedroom is a
liliylivered big girl's blouse, whatsmore everyone is affected by the
pollution caused from unecessary energy use (heatwaves being an
apparent side-effect).
You wouldn't be a maggot-dicked SUV driver by any chance? They are the
worst.

Try working nights or try working full stop.

I blame the parents, its very irresponsible letting little mark have
uncontrolled net access.

Regards Jeff

Pete C

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 00:02:42 GMT, raden wrote:

In message .com,
writes

it is sometimes necessary to limit how cold it gets at night.
Thermostats take care of the comfort zone.

FFS, when I was a kid I had ice on the inside of my bedroom window

You sound like my folks, but I tell them 'you're not SEVENTEEN now
you're SEVENTY odd!'

Though it doesn't get that cold in summer here, nothing a light duvet
couldn't handle.

cheers,
Pete.

Jeff wrote:

For those of us who work nights and sleep during the day Aircon is

the only
practical solution, all this talk of earth pipes, etc etc does not

really
apply as we are talking about one room in isolation. Opening a window

is not
an option for noise reasons.

how would this rule out earth pipes?

I will be getting aircon after our extension is completed because we

are
moving our bedroom to the south side so it will be considerably

hotter, the

a shade plant would help, whatever you put in. Even if you use a/c your
bills will be lower, and youll have lots of fruit to enjoy each year.
This alone wont transform the temp situation, but each move makes it
1-2-3C cooler.

NT

Pete C wrote:
On 8 Apr 2005 12:40:42 -0700, wrote:

For a more permanent install some louvres would help hide the fan
itself, and rubber or foam bushings to minimise any fan noise.

I would not put a fan on the loft floor at all,

No, built horizontally into the hatch...

ok, have it your way, but dont blame me when you realise why it wasnt
such a great idea.

it will be a real
annoyance. If you want to try it, sure, but almost any fan is going

make an unacceptable racket at night.

IME the fans aren't that noisy on low,

theyre inadequate on full, on low just a waste of time.

they could always be switched
off for a while

really useful

and there would be some convection through the hatch
instead.

even less than useless

What sort of set up do you have, is it switched off at night?

Here I've got none of this in yet, cant wait to do it again, but
priorities etc.

What I used was
1. 24 hour indoor/outdoor temp whatnot
2. Passive crossflow venting on top floor
3. Plus 12" Forced venting for extra fast cooldown when nedeed
4. full house wall shading

1,2,3 got me 4-10C of improvement.
4 I dont know, as there was not enough monitoring to record temp
changes.

At a previous addr I also used evaporative cooling which helps a bit
more, and high power fanning, which is remarkably effective, but a bit
impractical. 1.4kW of fan per room feels lovely and cool, even at 30C,
but is damn noisy, guzzles power, and you can forget even owning
paperwork, let alone doing it. I spose one advantage is no need for
dusting

This time I'm thinking of going for upstairs crossflow first, then
hopefully earth pipe or loft ventilation to give complete cool all
summer on minimal energy use.

Fitting extra window locks that allow you to have the top 2" of the
windows staying open is more useful. And putting in crossflow
ventilation in the loft to cool that down.

Not easy to add crossflow ventilation I would have thought.

I'm not sure what problem you see. It is simple to add locks to sash
windows so they sit 2" open. Open front and back, and you get cross
ventilation. It will often be necessary to add door grills as well.

I didnt find any commercial diff stats, need to make your own. Not

hard
though.

Not easy for everybody.

no. IIRC Redrok.com had some of the simplest designs.

Using a timer or doing it manually would give
some idea of how well it works and so whether it's worth making a
differential stat.

As I explained Pete, it is as good as useless, but do as you wish. I
did try it.

NT

Jeff

wrote in message
ups.com...
Jeff wrote:

For those of us who work nights and sleep during the day Aircon is

the only
practical solution, all this talk of earth pipes, etc etc does not

really
apply as we are talking about one room in isolation. Opening a window

is not
an option for noise reasons.

how would this rule out earth pipes?

It would be economically unviable as a one room solution imho

I will be getting aircon after our extension is completed because we

are
moving our bedroom to the south side so it will be considerably

hotter, the

a shade plant would help, whatever you put in. Even if you use a/c your
bills will be lower, and youll have lots of fruit to enjoy each year.
This alone wont transform the temp situation, but each move makes it
1-2-3C cooler.

Yes I agree but when I dont have enough sleep i am a nasty so and so
therefore I would probably be divorced before the shade plant had time to
grow :-)

Regards Jeff

Doctor Evil

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
ups.com...
Jeff wrote:

For those of us who work nights and sleep during the day Aircon is

the only
practical solution, all this talk of earth pipes, etc etc does not

really
apply as we are talking about one room in isolation. Opening a window

is not
an option for noise reasons.

how would this rule out earth pipes?

It would be economically unviable as a one room solution imho

Not so. Do all the points I have highlighted and install an earth pipe and
no polluting a/c needed. Are you obese?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

markzoom

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
markzoom wrote :-
I'm much to forthright for that, and I stand by my statement that
anyone considering air conditioning for a normal brit bedroom is a
liliylivered big girl's blouse, whatsmore everyone is affected by the
pollution caused from unecessary energy use (heatwaves being an
apparent side-effect).
You wouldn't be a maggot-dicked SUV driver by any chance? They are the
worst.

Try working nights

Two years inshore trawler crew from tidal harbour after leaving 6th
form.

or try working full stop.

My business is running fine thanks, has done for 16 years.

I blame the parents, its very irresponsible letting little mark have
uncontrolled net access.

Mark has apparently manged to bruise the fragile little ego of a
maggot-dicked SUV driver.

Regards Jeff

raden

In message , markzoom
writes

I think you might be one of those people who would benefit greatly
from experiencing or even seeing some real "hardship". A place where
3" cockroaches, swarms of mosquitoes and 2ft lizards croaking +
scrabbling about on the tin roof keep you awake would be just the
thing for you. Coconuts crashing down on it in the middle of the night
can be a bit of a nuisance, not as bad as the neighbours cockerel
though.... You'd really get to appreciate "draughts".
M.K.

Huh - I bet you've never had a cockroach fall off a rafter into your
mouth while you were asleep

Yuuuuk

Yuuuk, no! But then I did bring a mosquito net.
M.K.

Mosquito nets? Girly attire

I used an electrical mosquito repellent together with Raid and a towel
rolled up with a wetted end (AKA a rats tail)

But then you have Dengue fever mosquitos which attack during the day

--
geoff
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
raden wrote:
it is sometimes necessary to limit how cold it gets at night.
Thermostats take care of the comfort zone.

FFS, when I was a kid I had ice on the inside of my bedroom window

You had glass in your windows? Kids these days...

Did I say anything about glass?

Well yes we did - very middle class

--
geoff
John Rumm

markzoom wrote:

Have you been taking Dr. Drivel pills?

No, I'm getting tired of responding to your's though.

That is a non sequiter.

Your post had nothing to do with the OP. I was responding to your post.
You are the one who said "Asthmatics die because they don't use
their medication. That is their fault, not someone else's".

So who's fault is it then?

Does it have to be anyones fault? Is it someones fault they have an
auto-immune disese? Is it someones fault that heat and humidity makes it
worse?

The OP wanted advice on choice of air conditioner, not a lecture about
how you think you could spend his money more wisely than him, Have you
ever thought of getting into politics? You would feel well at home.

I'm much to forthright for that, and I stand by my statement that
anyone considering air conditioning for a normal brit bedroom is a
liliylivered big girl's blouse,

You know what, who cares?

whatsmore everyone is affected by the
pollution caused from unecessary energy use (heatwaves being an
apparent side-effect).

Oh get a grip man.

500W AC running 8 hours / night for say 30 days / year = 120 kWh, or
about the same amount of polution generated as a couple of hours driving
about in your car.

You wouldn't be a maggot-dicked SUV driver by any chance? They are the
worst.

Ah willy waving I see. Yes I can see you obviously have a large one, I
can just make out the foreskin poking out the top of your neck.

--
Cheers,

John.

Jeff wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Jeff wrote:

For those of us who work nights and sleep during the day Aircon

is
the only
practical solution, all this talk of earth pipes, etc etc does

not
really
apply as we are talking about one room in isolation. Opening a

window
is not
an option for noise reasons.

how would this rule out earth pipes?

It would be economically unviable as a one room solution imho

then what numbers are you looking at for
install ac
run cost of ac for 10 years
replace ac

versus

install earth pipe
run cost of earth pipe for 10 yrs
and just replace the fan after 10 yrs

I will be getting aircon after our extension is completed because

we
are
moving our bedroom to the south side so it will be considerably

hotter, the

a shade plant would help, whatever you put in. Even if you use a/c

your
bills will be lower, and youll have lots of fruit to enjoy each

year.
This alone wont transform the temp situation, but each move makes

it
1-2-3C cooler.

Yes I agree but when I dont have enough sleep i am a nasty so and so
therefore I would probably be divorced before the shade plant had

time to
grow :-)

whatever cooling you put in, the plant is still worthwile. Some will
grow to the first floor in 1 year, eg passionfruit. And earth pipe
should manage 1 room with no shading, but with shading will mean the
fan runs less and you get the fruit, and you can cool the rest of he
house as well.

There are gotchas with climnbers: avoid ivy and other things that try
to burrow into the wall, avoid slow growers, have the base 8-12" from
the wall, cut the thing back before it reaches the eaves, and if it
ever develops a thick trunk at the ground, cut it down completely and
replant. Thick wood trunks can damage walls.

NT