On 2 Apr 2005 16:53:49 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article ,
says...

As a street bike rider, I'm always extremely aware of th' dangers
looming in traffic. When th' family is in th' cage, it's pretty much
a whisper or silence. I hate distractions. I take driving very
serious and sure as hell wish more people would do so as well.

I always thought that if I were to open an insurance agency,
I would only sell car insurance to motorbike riders. :^)

Interesting concept Jim. Makes me wonder how much lower those
customers annual rates could go. You'd likely have yerself a gold
mine.

My solution is to have triple edged, razor sharp, barbed, serrated
daggers coming out of th' steering wheel, pointed at th' drivers
heart. They screw up, hook a tow truck up to whatever's left and haul
it, carcass and all, to th' crusher.

No seat belt laws, no cell phone laws, no speeding enforcement, just
pure Darwinism should do 'er.

Yep. Get rid of the airbags, ABS, etc.

Hell, ya wouldn't even need to issue drivers licenses. Wouldn't take
very long 'til Darwin got th' majority of 'em and traffic jams became
a distant memory.

That lady who went for a dunking now understands what it's like
to screw up. The "ohnosec" which is the instant between when
you realize you screwed up, and the moment between when you realize
the natural consequences of your actions are *inevitable*.

There's prolly a gubmint study done that found th' "ohnosec" to be th'
exact time that feces started filling ones undergarments.

All I can do is hope she actually learned something from her ohnosec
experience... but I have my doubts.

Snarl

Larry Jaques

On 2 Apr 2005 16:53:49 -0800, the inscrutable jim rozen
spake:

In article ,
says...

As a street bike rider, I'm always extremely aware of th' dangers
looming in traffic. When th' family is in th' cage, it's pretty much
a whisper or silence. I hate distractions. I take driving very
serious and sure as hell wish more people would do so as well.

I always thought that if I were to open an insurance agency,
I would only sell car insurance to motorbike riders. :^)

Short term insurance at highest rates, eh?

My solution is to have triple edged, razor sharp, barbed, serrated
daggers coming out of th' steering wheel, pointed at th' drivers
heart. They screw up, hook a tow truck up to whatever's left and haul
it, carcass and all, to th' crusher.

No seat belt laws, no cell phone laws, no speeding enforcement, just
pure Darwinism should do 'er.

Yep. Get rid of the airbags, ABS, etc.

No, ABS might keep them from rear ending us. BTDT, and the dock bumper
on my F-150 shortened a Toyota wagon by about a foot. The trouble is
making sure they're PAYING ATTENTION while they're behind the wheel.

That lady who went for a dunking now understands what it's like
to screw up. The "ohnosec" which is the instant between when
you realize you screwed up, and the moment between when you realize
the natural consequences of your actions are *inevitable*.

I don't think she does. She didn't sound or act like she grokked it in
the brief interview. I wish they'd asked her that question.

Never put off 'til tomorrow |
http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:43:14 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 2 Apr 2005 16:53:49 -0800, the inscrutable jim rozen
spake:

In article ,
says...

As a street bike rider, I'm always extremely aware of th' dangers
looming in traffic. When th' family is in th' cage, it's pretty much
a whisper or silence. I hate distractions. I take driving very
serious and sure as hell wish more people would do so as well.

I always thought that if I were to open an insurance agency,
I would only sell car insurance to motorbike riders. :^)

Short term insurance at highest rates, eh?

What brings you to that conclusion?

My solution is to have triple edged, razor sharp, barbed, serrated
daggers coming out of th' steering wheel, pointed at th' drivers
heart. They screw up, hook a tow truck up to whatever's left and haul
it, carcass and all, to th' crusher.

No seat belt laws, no cell phone laws, no speeding enforcement, just
pure Darwinism should do 'er.

Yep. Get rid of the airbags, ABS, etc.

No, ABS might keep them from rear ending us. BTDT, and the dock bumper
on my F-150 shortened a Toyota wagon by about a foot. The trouble is
making sure they're PAYING ATTENTION while they're behind the wheel.

Which part of "triple edged, razor sharp, barbed, serrated daggers
coming out of th' steering wheel, pointed at th' drivers heart." isn't
going to help focus attention? Uh oh, looks like you weren't paying
attention when ya read th' above g.

Snarl

--

Snarl AH#67 BS#37 SENS
EKIII rides with me...
jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

I always thought that if I were to open an insurance agency,
I would only sell car insurance to motorbike riders. :^)

Short term insurance at highest rates, eh?

The point was, I as a motorbike rider do all kinds of
things to lower my risk of crashing. I do most of those
things when I drive on four wheels, too. My guess is
that motorbike riders are significantly under-represented
in the car insurance claim department.

Jim

please reply to:

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:56:45 -0700, the inscrutable
spake:

I would only sell car insurance to motorbike riders. :^)

Short term insurance at highest rates, eh?

What brings you to that conclusion?

Logic? I believe that motorcyclists have a higher death rate
than auto drivers + higher risk = higher rates.

My solution is to have triple edged, razor sharp, barbed, serrated
daggers coming out of th' steering wheel, pointed at th' drivers
heart. They screw up, hook a tow truck up to whatever's left and haul
it, carcass and all, to th' crusher.

No seat belt laws, no cell phone laws, no speeding enforcement, just
pure Darwinism should do 'er.

Yep. Get rid of the airbags, ABS, etc.

No, ABS might keep them from rear ending us. BTDT, and the dock bumper
on my F-150 shortened a Toyota wagon by about a foot. The trouble is
making sure they're PAYING ATTENTION while they're behind the wheel.

Which part of "triple edged, razor sharp, barbed, serrated daggers
coming out of th' steering wheel, pointed at th' drivers heart." isn't
going to help focus attention? Uh oh, looks like you weren't paying
attention when ya read th' above g.

Doh! It appears that I missed that paragraph entirely. My suggestion
stands, though. ABS keep dumb drivers on the road and (hopefully) not
plowing into us.

Never put off 'til tomorrow |
http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:25:52 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:56:45 -0700, the inscrutable
spake:

I would only sell car insurance to motorbike riders. :^)

Short term insurance at highest rates, eh?

What brings you to that conclusion?

Logic?

Flawed logic my friend, but understandably so. I'll get to that point
inna minute.

I believe that motorcyclists have a higher death rate
than auto drivers + higher risk = higher rates.

Jim was talking about providing *automobile* insurance coverage to
people who also ride motorcycles. Motorcycle riders are generally
*much* better automobile drivers than those who never have ridden.
Truckers as well. Folks who need to worry about killing, or being
killed, tend to pay attention more than th' oblivious soccer momma's.

Actuarially, that fact is totally overlooked by insurance
underwriters, hence Jim's million dollah idea.

Now, back to your flawed logic. Statistics suck, so I won't go there.
However, I'd like to ask you another question... what's th' major
contributing factor to this "higher death rate" for motorcyclists that
you speak of?

Snarl

jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

Doh! It appears that I missed that paragraph entirely. My suggestion
stands, though. ABS keep dumb drivers on the road and (hopefully) not
plowing into us.

Although, oddly, the SUV that ms. Over-the-Bridge was driving, probably
*had* ABS. And yet she still went in the drink. How can this be?

She was driving the biggest, heaviest, most safety-equipped car
you can buy nowadays. You can even *imagine* her loved ones thinking
'gee, I'm sure glad Ms O-t-B is driving a Humongo Exploder. They're
real safe."

So what happened?

She forgot she was driving.

She forgot that ABS does not *create* traction out of thin air.

She probably missed the fact that the road was slippery to start
with, because the active stability control was compensating for
the lack of traction. And the ABS was preventing the car from
skidding when she used the brakes most of the time.

She was on the damn *phone*.

She wasn't paying attention to what the feedback from her car was
telling her about the road conditions. Feedback like that's pretty
much been eliminated in cars today.

Systems that are designed to get drivers out of trouble, like ABS
and active traction and stability control have one big problem:
as long as they're working, the driver doesn't realize that
road conditions have deteriorated.

At some point the systems designed to help, run out of headroom
in their feedback circuits. There's no window between when the
brakes are applied, and the rotation sensors shows the wheel locked.
There's no region in the phase diagram for the traction control
to keep a wheel turning when it starts to slide.

And of course, the irony is at that point the driver has about zero
traction available to control the car.

This is why ms. O-t-B took a one-way trip down the fast elevator.

Jim

please reply to:
Gunner

On 4 Apr 2005 05:58:18 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

[...]

Simply ignore all the other issues besides being on the phone. They
dont count. Jim has previously declared that the proximate cause of
the accident was the cell phone.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:39:33 -0700, the inscrutable
spake:

wrote:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:56:45 -0700, the inscrutable
spake:

I would only sell car insurance to motorbike riders. :^)

Short term insurance at highest rates, eh?

What brings you to that conclusion?

Logic?

Flawed logic my friend, but understandably so. I'll get to that point
inna minute.

Gotcha.

I believe that motorcyclists have a higher death rate
than auto drivers + higher risk = higher rates.

Jim was talking about providing *automobile* insurance coverage to
people who also ride motorcycles. Motorcycle riders are generally
*much* better automobile drivers than those who never have ridden.
Truckers as well. Folks who need to worry about killing, or being
killed, tend to pay attention more than th' oblivious soccer momma's.

Agreed. I learned how to CMA on a scoot early on (age 15-1/2) because
I could ride one before I got my driver's license. I was a real mean
ass on my Kawasaki street 90, lemme tell ya.

Actuarially, that fact is totally overlooked by insurance
underwriters, hence Jim's million dollah idea.

Hmmm, could be.

Now, back to your flawed logic. Statistics suck, so I won't go there.
However, I'd like to ask you another question... what's th' major
contributing factor to this "higher death rate" for motorcyclists that
you speak of?

Unfortunately, the most common phrase given to Insurance companies and
the cops at the scene of the accident is "I didn't see the
motorcycle." with or without the "until it was too late." sigh

The only time I dumped my bike was when some blue-haired old lady
in a Cadidliac pulled out in front of me. I thank Buddha I was wearing
a coat and helmet and was only going 35mph. I had a raspberry the size
of an orange on my right elbow/forearm and my head hit her rear door
so hard it broke the window. I walked away from it and still wear a
helmet EVERY time I climb on a bike, though that has become rare.

Then again, bikers (both dirt and street) are wild and crazy guys,
too. That has to be 2nd.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:49:45 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:39:33 -0700, the inscrutable
spake:

random snippage happened

Agreed. I learned how to CMA on a scoot early on (age 15-1/2) because
I could ride one before I got my driver's license. I was a real mean
ass on my Kawasaki street 90, lemme tell ya.

Heh, me too.

Actuarially, that fact is totally overlooked by insurance
underwriters, hence Jim's million dollah idea.

Hmmm, could be.

Think about it. Insurance is basically a crap shoot. Them ****ers (I
hate th' insurance racketeers) want th' least possible amount of risk.
I'd bet m' first born that if they ran th' numbers, they'd find a real
low risk factor when it comes to people with MC endorsements being at
fault, or even involved, in automobile accidents whilst behind th'
steering wheel of a cage. Granted, th' age numbers still factored in
as well.

Offer up a lower rate to that demographic and bingo, they just reduced
their risk *and* garnered a whole new set of happy clients.

Now, back to your flawed logic. Statistics suck, so I won't go there.
However, I'd like to ask you another question... what's th' major
contributing factor to this "higher death rate" for motorcyclists that
you speak of?

Unfortunately, the most common phrase given to Insurance companies and
the cops at the scene of the accident is "I didn't see the
motorcycle." with or without the "until it was too late." sigh

Winner! But again, Jim's not talkin' about providing *motorcycle*
insurance. Motorcyclists don't go around pulling left turns in front
of cars and killin' people, 'tis th' other way around.

Then again, bikers (both dirt and street) are wild and crazy guys,
too. That has to be 2nd.

Heh, it's a good thing we couldn't possibly get hurt, or worse, in th'
shop.

Ya know, th' more I think about this, th' better I like it. With th'
price of gas skyrocketing, and a carrot like an X % discount for
having a motorcycle endorsement for ones car insurance, more people
might just go back to, or start, riding.

Hell, if I was King, *everyone* who wants a drivers license would have
to spend one year riding a motorcycle. Then they wouldn't be sayin'
"honest officer, I didn't see him."

King Snarl