Proctologically Violated©®

Default Engleberg Sanders

Awl--

Acquired a 4" model, 52+" belt, beyond heavy, built like a brick ****house,
seems very high quality, ceptin for the burnt out 3 ph motor (cast iron
finned Delco motor, fan on back), and bad bottom pulley (the big one)
bearing & shaft. Direct drive!
Gonna cost $2-300 to fix (identical motor)--mebbe less if I really
scrounged, kluged.
Since I operate off a rotary, thinking of getting a single phase 220
replacement motor, if possible.
Any opinions on the Engleberg, etc.?
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Gunner

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:50:09 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Awl--

Acquired a 4" model, 52+" belt, beyond heavy, built like a brick ****house,
seems very high quality, ceptin for the burnt out 3 ph motor (cast iron
finned Delco motor, fan on back), and bad bottom pulley (the big one)
bearing & shaft. Direct drive!
Gonna cost $2-300 to fix (identical motor)--mebbe less if I really
scrounged, kluged.
Since I operate off a rotary, thinking of getting a single phase 220
replacement motor, if possible.
Any opinions on the Engleberg, etc.?
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

How many horse power?

Read the frame number off the motor, and if its less than say...7 hp,
find a single phase used motor with the same frame size. Check ebay.

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider
PrecisionMachinisT

"Gunner" wrote in message

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Hehe....

Cant fool me !!!

IF it werent for leftwingers, then all fishing seasons would be
cancelled......

--

SVL

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...

Yup, Sundstrand!
Mine is a 1 hp 3 ph, I bleeve.
Only flaw that I can see is, unless the bearings are truly perm. lubed,
which mine clearly weren't, there is no easy way to lube'em.
Looks I will be paying considerably more than you did! In sweat as well as
cash!

What is a DMRO auction?

I always mix those letters up, DRMO = Defense Reutilization
and Marketing Office. Most military bases used to have
offices that distributed surplus equipment to local
governments, schools, etc., and then solld the remainder at
public auctions. Most of this has been taken over by a
private contractor...

http://www.govliquidation.com/

I just checked, my grinder is also 1 HP. You're unlikely to
find anything much nicer, so I wouldn't hesitate to spend a
reasonable amount of time and money to get the grinder
working again. One thing to check is the flatness of the
platen. Mine had a divot worn in it right behind the rest
and was twisted as well, probably as a result of stress
relief as it wore. The thing is harder than a whore's heart
- I had a friend resurface it on his Blanchard grinder.

Ned Simmons
Proctologically Violated©®

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
[...]

You have deeply offended me, and a very useful group of ladies...
I'm sure you *meant* loiyers/stockbrokers/politicians...
Or mebbe, "as hard as actors (or yuppie daytraders) are useless..."
Indeed, that platen is quite a piece--uh, so to speak.

Anyway, we all need friends w/ Blanchard grinders!
And I will check into those DRMO's--sound inneresting.

Mine's got the same divot--I'm sure they all do! I may just drill a cupla
extree holes on the back plate and reverse the platen.
And/or line it w/ some 062 spring steel sheet from MSC. This way, the
platen is "planned consummable", sorta like what you see on the bottom of a
hand-held belt sander.

If I could find a heat-resistant epoxy, this would make the job
super-quick/easy.
Any clues??
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Ned Simmons

Proctologically Violated©®

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article , says...
The thing is harder than a whore's heart
- I had a friend resurface it on his Blanchard grinder.

You have deeply offended me, and a very useful group of ladies...

Gee, I thought it was a compliment, at least I always took it for one
when uttered by the retired Navy chief I worked with as a kid and who
taught me how to weld. Anyway, he seemed to hold whores in higher regard
than his various ex-wives.

I'm sure you *meant* loiyers/stockbrokers/politicians...
Or mebbe, "as hard as actors (or yuppie daytraders) are useless..."
Indeed, that platen is quite a piece--uh, so to speak.

Anyway, we all need friends w/ Blanchard grinders!
And I will check into those DRMO's--sound inneresting.

Mine's got the same divot--I'm sure they all do! I may just drill a
cupla
extree holes on the back plate and reverse the platen.

Good luck, it's harder than a...oh, yeah.

And/or line it w/ some 062 spring steel sheet from MSC. This way, the
platen is "planned consummable", sorta like what you see on the bottom of
hand-held belt sander.

Have a look at the top edge of the platen. Mine has three tapped holes
there as though there may have been such a sheet originally. I
considered doing just that, but it wouldn't have cured the twist, and
the grinding to flatten the platen brought the holes too close to the
face to use them in that fashion.

Do you think I could plop my platen on a surface grinder and get a decent
surface? Proly after a million revs of the sanding belt it'll become mirror
again!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Ned Simmons

Proctologically Violated©®

Ned,

Does yours have the spray/mist-er at the dust port? If so, do you use it?
I got one, think it is really awesomely elegant--and simple!

Unfortunately, I'm really being whacked by the repair peeple. May just have
to pick up m'parts, and improvise/kluge the whole thing myself.
If I put a single phase motor on it, ahma haveta extend the shaft, do a new
mounting plate (being mindful of the height), the whole nine. gotta make a
new pulley shaft... epoxy the platen...
O'man....
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article , says...

Do you think I could plop my platen on a surface grinder and get a decent
surface? Proly after a million revs of the sanding belt it'll become
mirror
again!

I'm sure the finish would be better than on mine when it came off the
Blanchard grinder, and I didn't have any problems. But it'll be slow
going if you have much to remove. It probably took 15-20 minutes to take
.100 off my platen and the Blanchard was grunting pretty good everytime
the piece moved under the wheel.

Ned Simmons

sanders gary Woodworking 3 January 26th 05 03:39 PM
Performax vs Delta wide drum sanders Jay Stalman Woodworking 4 April 26th 04 04:10 PM
6 inch orbital sanders. Need advice. Phisherman Woodworking 3 October 20th 03 07:00 PM
Sanders Steve UK diy 4 October 6th 03 08:43 PM
attachments to convert electric drills into orbital sanders Abdullah Eyles UK diy 6 September 17th 03 07:28 PM