Jay Stalman

Default Performax vs Delta wide drum sanders

I have been considering purchasing a wide drum sander for use in a
home shop, for resawn veneer or highly figured panels which might chip
out in a planer. ANy recommendations on the pros and cons of these
(or other) models?
I was looking at the Performax 16-32 or comparable size units which
are about $800. Thanks.
Jay

JGS

Hi Jay,
If you DAGS in the following you will see a lot of good info. Both
machines are ok but they are not thickness sanders and from the posts I
think you will see the Performax pulled ahead for a while but the new
motor has caused some problems. Once I came to accept how little these
machines take off per pass I began appreciate my Delta. Cheers, JG

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en...ec.woodworking

Jay Stalman wrote:

I have been considering purchasing a wide drum sander for use in a
home shop, for resawn veneer or highly figured panels which might chip
out in a planer. ANy recommendations on the pros and cons of these
(or other) models?
I was looking at the Performax 16-32 or comparable size units which
are about $800. Thanks.
Jay

Leon

The biggest draw back to the Delta is that the table lifts for thickness
adjustment. This becomes a problem if you use infeed or out feed supports
for your wood. You will have to adjust the supports with each thickness
adjustment.

"Jay Stalman" wrote in message
om...
I have been considering purchasing a wide drum sander for use in a
home shop, for resawn veneer or highly figured panels which might chip
out in a planer. ANy recommendations on the pros and cons of these
(or other) models?
I was looking at the Performax 16-32 or comparable size units which
are about $800. Thanks.
Jay

Mike G

Had to make the decision myself a couple of years ago and chose the Delta.

As near as I could tell then, and have found no reason to say things have
changed, both machines perform their basic functions quite well.

I chose the Delta over the Performex because I consider the fixed drum head
design more stable, liked the versatility of the two speeds and, there is
the ability to add a 4" pneumatic drum on the machine. It is an amazingly
handing little option.

So, without taking anything away from the Performax, I've have no regrets
about the decision.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods