Default Looking for Info on Clausing lathe

I'm looking for information on a Clausing lathe I recently picked up
pretty cheap. It's my first and I need to learn how to use and
maintain the thing properly. It's a model 5320.

I haven't been able to locate any info on the 5300 series, so I'd also
appreciate it if anyone knows if the 5400 or any other model is
similar. I'd really love to locate a manual for the lathe, or if not,
then one as close as I can get. I did try calling Clausing a few
minutes ago but they were closed and their website says they don't have
the stuff so I'm not holding out hope.

I do already have the atlas book from the 30's and the south bend "how
to run a lathe" but I'm not sure if everything carries over. Right now
I'm trying to decide what kind of oil to put in the thing, then I need
to figure out how to cut 10 tpi threads.

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Mike Henry

Contact Clausing - they still supply manuals at pretty nominal prices ($25
or so) and even a few parts. Google should turn up a link in short order.

DoN. Nichols has a 5300, I think, and will probably weigh in a little later
this evening.

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Garrett Fulton

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
Contact Clausing - they still supply manuals at pretty nominal prices ($25
or so) and even a few parts. Google should turn up a link in short order.

DoN. Nichols has a 5300, I think, and will probably weigh in a little

later
this evening.

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've got a 5310 and Clausing had the manual for it. Twenty something
dollars. Give them a try.

Garrett Fulton

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Mike Henry wrote:
Contact Clausing - they still supply manuals at pretty nominal prices ($25
or so) and even a few parts. Google should turn up a link in short order.

DoN. Nichols has a 5300, I think, and will probably weigh in a little later
this evening.

Nope! it is a 5418, not a 5300 series.

A few years ago, Clausing would happily sell a photocopied
manual tailored to your model number and serial number for a quite
reasonable amount. They can also tell you when yours was made.

That is the best bet, overall.

If that fails (e.g. they've stopped selling manual reprints),
drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do about a duplicate of mine

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Mike Henry

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Henry wrote:
Contact Clausing - they still supply manuals at pretty nominal prices ($25
or so) and even a few parts. Google should turn up a link in short order.

DoN. Nichols has a 5300, I think, and will probably weigh in a little
later
this evening.

Nope! it is a 5418, not a 5300 series.

Sorry - I always get the model number of yours confused, it seems.

A few years ago, Clausing would happily sell a photocopied
manual tailored to your model number and serial number for a quite
reasonable amount. They can also tell you when yours was made.

Still do as of a few months ago.

That is the best bet, overall.

If that fails (e.g. they've stopped selling manual reprints),
drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do about a duplicate of mine

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to scottebehrens, Warren Oatley wrote:
If u look on ebay there are usually all the manuals for sale like 40 bucs

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...he-406434-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Rex B, Rick wrote:
Hello I was wondering if you know if the 5320 can be used for woodworking or
is it just a metal lathe

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...he-406434-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rick wrote:

replying to Rex B, Rick wrote:
Hello I was wondering if you know if the 5320 can be used for woodworking
or is it just a metal lathe

Any metalworking lathe can be used to turn wood. Some don't have high
enough spindle speed to do it properly, so you get some tearing of the
surface.

You do need to protect the ways from the wood dust, as some woods can be
corrosive.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 04:18:05 GMT, Rick
wrote:

replying to Mike Henry, Rick wrote:
Hello I was wondering if you know if the 5320 can be used for woodworking or
is it just a metal lathe

A lathe is a lathe is a lathe whether you are turning titanium or
marshmallow
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

replying to Mike Henry, Rick wrote:
Hello I was wondering if you know if the 5320 can be used for
woodworking or
is it just a metal lathe

A lathe is a lathe is a lathe whether you are turning titanium or
marshmallow

I found cheap second-hand Morse #2 cup and spur centers to hold wood
in my 10" South Bend metal lathe, though a chuck holds as well or
better. The standard conical tailstock center is likely to split the
wood. HSS bits cut wood easily if not very smoothly. You may have to
make your own tool rest to support wood turning chisels. If the wood
isn't dry the chips can discolor the exposed bare steel in minutes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...-/291814642780
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 10:17:49 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

replying to Mike Henry, Rick wrote:
Hello I was wondering if you know if the 5320 can be used for
woodworking or
is it just a metal lathe

A lathe is a lathe is a lathe whether you are turning titanium or
marshmallow

I found cheap second-hand Morse #2 cup and spur centers to hold wood
in my 10" South Bend metal lathe, though a chuck holds as well or
better. The standard conical tailstock center is likely to split the
wood. HSS bits cut wood easily if not very smoothly. You may have to
make your own tool rest to support wood turning chisels. If the wood
isn't dry the chips can discolor the exposed bare steel in minutes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...-/291814642780
-jsw

First, I think that Rex's lathe is a lot newer than he thinks.
Clausing was making the 5300-series, including the 5320, at least
until the mid-'50s.

It has a roller-rearing or ball-bearing spindle, which is better for
turning wood than our plain-bearing SBs, Jim. BTW, SB recommends
loosening the spindle-bearing caps if you're going to turn wood with
it. I never did so with mine, because I don't want to screw up its
near-perfect clearnaces for metalworking.

Rex, I turn wood and other materials in my SB, and it works fine. It
was once a popular machine for patternmakers, who make very accurate
pieces out of wood to use in casting patterns.

As others have said, it doesn't turn fast enough to get really clean
cuts in wood. I've ground some HSS tools to skew-cut wood (and cork;
I've used them for turning fishing-rod grips) and they cut pretty
clean, but they're limited in the geometry they'll cut.

Keep your cutting tools very sharp and just anticipate that you're
going to have to do some sanding to get a good finish.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 10:17:49 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I'd use my metal lathe to fit a wooden tool handle to a shop-made
ferrule, for example, but not to make furniture. For that I would
reassemble my Shopsmith.

-jsw