Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for Info on Clausing lathe

"Gerry" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 04:18:05 GMT, Rick
wrote:

replying to Mike Henry, Rick wrote:
Hello I was wondering if you know if the 5320 can be used for
woodworking or
is it just a metal lathe

A lathe is a lathe is a lathe whether you are turning titanium or
marshmallow

I found cheap second-hand Morse #2 cup and spur centers to hold wood
in my 10" South Bend metal lathe, though a chuck holds as well or
better. The standard conical tailstock center is likely to split the
wood. HSS bits cut wood easily if not very smoothly. You may have to
make your own tool rest to support wood turning chisels. If the wood
isn't dry the chips can discolor the exposed bare steel in minutes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...-/291814642780
-jsw