Modat22

Default Any recommendations of Must have lather/mill tools for a beginner?

I'm ordering a 3 n 1 machine and wanted to make sure I had some must
have tooling right off the bat.

Any recommendations or perhaps a web site? I found a machinist friend
locally and he's also writhing up a list.
Bill Grimwood

This may be a little off subject here but where can I find a 16 ft step
ladder to purchase? I need this height to pressure wash my home.

thanks

Bill

Lane

"Bill Grimwood" wrote in message
This may be a little off subject here but where can I find a 16 ft step
ladder to purchase? I need this height to pressure wash my home.

thanks
Bill

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing. I bought an extension ladder for
such chores.
Lane

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:33 -0800, Lane wrote:

"Bill Grimwood" wrote in message
This may be a little off subject here but where can I find a 16 ft step
ladder to purchase? I need this height to pressure wash my home.

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing. I bought an extension ladder for
such chores.

They exist, but both of the ones I've used are wood and very shaky.
Maybe they're hard to make strong enough to be safe yet light enough
to be carryable?
Dave Hinz

On 21 Mar 2005 21:02:01 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:33 -0800, Lane wrote:

"Bill Grimwood" wrote in message
This may be a little off subject here but where can I find a 16 ft step
ladder to purchase? I need this height to pressure wash my home.

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing. I bought an extension ladder for
such chores.

They exist, but both of the ones I've used are wood and very shaky.
Maybe they're hard to make strong enough to be safe yet light enough
to be carryable?

I should mention, both of these also looked like they're 30 or 40
years old.

Gunner

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:33 -0800, "Lane" lane (no spam) at
copperaccents dot com wrote:

"Bill Grimwood" wrote in message
.. .
This may be a little off subject here but where can I find a 16 ft step
ladder to purchase? I need this height to pressure wash my home.

thanks
Bill

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing. I bought an extension ladder for
such chores.
Lane

Ive seen em. Often times used in school gymnasiums and such. Huge,
heavy as hell, and dangerous as can be. Hence the increased usage of
manlifts, even though the costs are an order of magnitude higher.

http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog.htm (probably the best)

http://www.toolup.com/productinfo_fr...ville _Ladder
http://www.lynnladder.com/lynlad/lynlad113.htm
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Wayne Cook

On 21 Mar 2005 21:02:01 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:33 -0800, Lane wrote:

"Bill Grimwood" wrote in message
This may be a little off subject here but where can I find a 16 ft step
ladder to purchase? I need this height to pressure wash my home.

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing. I bought an extension ladder for
such chores.

They exist, but both of the ones I've used are wood and very shaky.
Maybe they're hard to make strong enough to be safe yet light enough
to be carryable?

Actually what usually happens with wooden ladders is they dry out
and loosen up. This is easily cured by just tightening all the tie
bolts under the steps but I've rarely run into anybody who knew this.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Lane

"Gunner" wrote in message
Ive seen em. Often times used in school gymnasiums and such. Huge,
heavy as hell, and dangerous as can be. Hence the increased usage of
manlifts, even though the costs are an order of magnitude higher.

No way you'd catch me on one that tall, let alone using a power washer on
one. Just too much can go wrong, as someone else mentioned.
Lane

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:29:42 -0800, Lane wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
Ive seen em. Often times used in school gymnasiums and such. Huge,
heavy as hell, and dangerous as can be. Hence the increased usage of
manlifts, even though the costs are an order of magnitude higher.

No way you'd catch me on one that tall, let alone using a power washer on
one. Just too much can go wrong, as someone else mentioned.

You know, maybe easier to get a 16' extension on the power washer, and
stand on the ground... not an elegant solution, but a hell of a lot safer.
A power washer can give you a bit of thrust on the ground, and the
levarage of that thrust times the height of the ladder...lots of torque
there.

Dave Hinz
Clark

Don't get a Grizzly mini lathe from the out store. MIne is a POS.
It can't cut anything, even plastic.
It can be used to drill on center, with a Dremel tool flex shaft locked
in the tool post, and as a wire wheel motor.

I like my 1960s Clausing lathe and Rockwell mill.
I like my brother's 1960s Clausing mill and newer Jet Lathe.

Gary Brady

Bill Grimwood wrote:
This may be a little off subject here but where can I find a 16 ft step
ladder to purchase? I need this height to pressure wash my home.

thanks

Bill

I've rented 16' step ladders before. Call around and find out where the
rental places get them.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:10:29 -0600, Wayne Cook
wrote:
On 21 Mar 2005 21:02:01 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

They exist, but both of the ones I've used are wood and very shaky.
Maybe they're hard to make strong enough to be safe yet light enough
to be carryable?

Actually what usually happens with wooden ladders is they dry out
and loosen up. This is easily cured by just tightening all the tie
bolts under the steps but I've rarely run into anybody who knew this.

8-point socket, or change out the 10-24 nuts for normal hex.

And get some acorn nuts to cover the exposed threads or take an
angle grinder and cut them flat, you bump them and they WILL take a
chunk of skin. DAMHIKT...

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Bugs

Go with your machinist friend. He should know your capability better
than anyone. My only caveat is to tell you that multi-use machines are
like Swiss army knives. They will do a lot of things, but none of them
very well. They make a good starting outfit, but you will probably want
to upgrade to better machines as you gain experience.
Bugs

Daniel A. Mitchell

"Gunner" wrote in message

Ive seen em. Often times used in school gymnasiums and such. Huge,
heavy as hell, and dangerous as can be. Hence the increased usage of
manlifts, even though the costs are an order of magnitude higher.

No way you'd catch me on one that tall, let alone using a power washer on
one. Just too much can go wrong, as someone else mentioned.

You know, maybe easier to get a 16' extension on the power washer, and
stand on the ground... not an elegant solution, but a hell of a lot safer.
A power washer can give you a bit of thrust on the ground, and the
levarage of that thrust times the height of the ladder...lots of torque
there.

Dave Hinz

Most of the really tall stepladders I've seen use 'outrigger' braces to
steady them. These are hinged off the sides of the ladder, and fold when
not in use. The effect is to make a sort of tripod of the ladder ...
well, actually, four legs, or a pyramid. I've seen these in both
aluminum and fiberglass versions. Try a commercial electrical supply ...
they often carry these.

And, yes, they are heavy and expensive.

Dan Mitchell
============
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:18:01 -0500, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

You know, maybe easier to get a 16' extension on the power washer, and
stand on the ground... not an elegant solution, but a hell of a lot safer.
A power washer can give you a bit of thrust on the ground, and the
levarage of that thrust times the height of the ladder...lots of torque
there.

Most of the really tall stepladders I've seen use 'outrigger' braces to
steady them. These are hinged off the sides of the ladder, and fold when
not in use. The effect is to make a sort of tripod of the ladder ...

Firefighting catalogs might still have outrigger ladders as well,
but again, I think we're forgetting that the guy wants to use
a pressure washer on top of a 16' something. The forces of a pressure
washer, on that tall of a ladder, wouldn't be something I'd be willing
to do myself...

First check if anything "comes mit".

For drilling you need:
Chuck
drill bits
(Advanced, maybe later):
Some kid of drilling vise or work holding blocks

For lathe work you need;
centers
center drills
faceplate
lathe dogs
cutting bits, (various shapes -
If you have a grinder buy blanks and make your own)
Tool holders
(Advanced, maybe later):
Four jaw chuck
Steady rest
Knurling tool

For the Milling Tower;
Various cutters to fit your headstock
Does it come with collets for standard shanks?
If not you can mount cutters with cylindrical shanks in a jacobs chuck
in a pinch, (as long as you only apply pressure towards the
headstock).
(Advanced, maybe later):
Some kind of index head for the tower

General:
Do you have a good dial caliper, angle gauge and other measuring/layout
tools?
Some cutting oil?
it's an expensive hobby.
MadDog

"In this, our current era we are ruled by a George II.
Doesn't history have a fine sense of irony?"

Daniel A. Mitchell

Dave Hinz wrote:

You know, maybe easier to get a 16' extension on the power washer, and
stand on the ground... not an elegant solution, but a hell of a lot safer.
A power washer can give you a bit of thrust on the ground, and the
levarage of that thrust times the height of the ladder...lots of torque
there.

Most of the really tall stepladders I've seen use 'outrigger' braces to
steady them. These are hinged off the sides of the ladder, and fold when
not in use. The effect is to make a sort of tripod of the ladder ...

Firefighting catalogs might still have outrigger ladders as well,
but again, I think we're forgetting that the guy wants to use
a pressure washer on top of a 16' something. The forces of a pressure
washer, on that tall of a ladder, wouldn't be something I'd be willing
to do myself...

No argument there. The recoil from a large pressure washer can be
considerable ... put that on top of a 16 ladder and you have a big
turning moment trying to tip the ladder over ... or blow the operator
off the top of it. NOT a good idea either way.

Dan Mitchell
============
Wild Bill

Here's a link to a 3in1 message board
http://www.chaski.com/ubb/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=3in1

I think there are other groups in Yahoo's machine category.. some are
public, others require registration.

WB

"Modat22" wrote in message
this is the model I'm ordering, http://www.smithy.com/midas1220ltd.htm
At first I planed on buying all the tools from the same Co. but I'm
beginning to see that I can get many things much cheaper from other
sources. I'm trying to find some sort of adult education course in my
area for machining but haven't found much luck yet.

Thanks for the advice