Modat22

On 22 Mar 2005 17:15:08 -0800, wrote:

First check if anything "comes mit".

For drilling you need:
Chuck
drill bits
(Advanced, maybe later):
Some kid of drilling vise or work holding blocks

For lathe work you need;
centers
center drills
faceplate
lathe dogs
cutting bits, (various shapes -
If you have a grinder buy blanks and make your own)
Tool holders
(Advanced, maybe later):
Four jaw chuck
Steady rest
Knurling tool

For the Milling Tower;
Various cutters to fit your headstock
Does it come with collets for standard shanks?
If not you can mount cutters with cylindrical shanks in a jacobs chuck
in a pinch, (as long as you only apply pressure towards the
headstock).
(Advanced, maybe later):
Some kind of index head for the tower

General:
Do you have a good dial caliper, angle gauge and other measuring/layout
tools?
Some cutting oil?
it's an expensive hobby.
MadDog

"In this, our current era we are ruled by a George II.
Doesn't history have a fine sense of irony?"

this is the model I'm ordering,
http://www.smithy.com/midas1220ltd.htm
At first I planed on buying all the tools from the same Co. but I'm
beginning to see that I can get many things much cheaper from other
sources. I'm trying to find some sort of adult education course in my
area for machining but haven't found much luck yet.

Thanks for the advice