HeadHunter

Default FAQ and Posting "for sale" posts in rcm.......

A couple of months ago I posted here about some power hacksaw blades I had.
A few people bought some off me from here and I actually gained enough cash
to go out and get some silca gel vitrified grinding cups made to my
dimensions ( I had to order 50 of them before they would make one)

Now I've opened an eBay account but since I'm in Canada and most of the
buyers will be in the states I've had to increase the asking price for my
hacksaw blades cause of the fees and currency conversion and paypal etc.
it's a better deal if i offer it here. I'm not in it for a profit. I'm in
it to get some new equipment so that i don't have to use my credit card.....
Ebay will eat 20% of what I sell in fees.

Needless to say I have some other stuff around my shop I would like to sell
and use the proceeds to buy a new drill press and a high quality cordless
tool set. Since response was good here I wanted to offer some more stuff
here before using eBay.

Since it's goods that are used in metalworking would it be considered spam
if I posted asking if anyone was interested in buying a couple of items from
me? I'm not talking about bombarding the group. I'm talking about 2 items
in 2 posts asking if anyone was interested in my leftover goods.......

Seeking your advice and interpretation.....

HeadHunter

Harold and Susan Vordos

"HeadHunter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I can only speak for myself, but if you're offering goods that would benefit
the readers, at a price that is a bargain, I can't imagine anyone getting
their nose too far out of joint. That would be especially true if you're
offering things that are difficult to obtain.

At this point, it looks to me like RCM is sort of a "no holds barred" kind
of thing. Could it be? I guess what really matters is the policy of
the service provider. Maybe someone can step forward and inform all of us
what is, and isn't, acceptable.

Harold

Keith Marshall

As Harold said, I can only speak for myself and I'm always happy to see
genuine offers for metalworking related goods.

Generally when someone offers something for sale they preceed the subject
with FS: like this:

FS: Logan Lathe

or if it's an eBay auction you want to bring our attention to you can use:

FA: Bridgeport on eBay

This gives people an easy way to filter out that type of message if they
don't want to see it. They can just tell their newsreader to disregard
anything that starts with either of those.

Also, if it's for sale locally and/or is a large item *PLEASE* provide a
location. Saying I have a lathe for sale and not telling us where it's
located seems to upset a lot of people. :-)

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

[...]

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"HeadHunter" wrote in message
. ..
A couple of months ago I posted here about some power hacksaw blades I

had.
A few people bought some off me from here and I actually gained enough

cash
to go out and get some silca gel vitrified grinding cups made to my
dimensions ( I had to order 50 of them before they would make one)

[ ... ]

Since it's goods that are used in metalworking would it be considered spam
if I posted asking if anyone was interested in buying a couple of items

from
me? I'm not talking about bombarding the group. I'm talking about 2

items
in 2 posts asking if anyone was interested in my leftover goods.......

Seeking your advice and interpretation.....

In general, if the postings are not too frequent, (excessive
would be once every two weeks for the same item each time), and if they
are short, I see no problem.

[ ... ]

At this point, it looks to me like RCM is sort of a "no holds barred" kind
of thing. Could it be? I guess what really matters is the policy of
the service provider. Maybe someone can step forward and inform all of us
what is, and isn't, acceptable.

*Which* service provider? Usenet is hosted on hundreds or
thousands of systems around the world. There is no *one* service
provider to say yea or nea.

What your *own* ISP can do, is threaten to cancel your account
if you break the rules in the AUP (Acceptable Use Policy), which you
(implicitly) signed by opening an account on the server.

Unless you are spewing out tons of spam, such that it is
*detected* by your ISP, nothing is likely to happen unless someone
complains -- usually *several* someones -- with good evidence.

If you are getting your news service through yet another company
(e.g. some are signed up with newsguy and similar services), then they
are also in a position to revoke your access if you abuse it. Again,
normally, you have to do something which either seriously impacts their
bandwidth (posting hundreds or thousands of identical spam to many
newsgroups), or which provokes complaints from those outside.

For that matter -- you *can* lose your account by posting binary
files to a discussion newsgroup -- but you probably won't for a one-time
offense. Posting copyrighted stuff is more likely to get their
attention.

But even so -- if you *do* get kicked off -- there is always
*someone* who will sell you an account. One such suplier of last resort
is "alt.net", which I block, because almost everyone on it is someone
who has been kicked off of several services previously. "Cass" was an
example, and he is why I put "alt.net" in my "refuse" list. I don't
know *why* ignoramus(some number) has since picked up an account there,
but as a result, I don't see his postings -- only what others quote.

If an ISP has enough offenders, and does not do anything about
complaints, the ISP suffers a UDP (Usenet Death Policy), in which *all*
major news servers refuse to pass on articles from that site. (Similar
to what I am doing on a private basis with alt.net, except that I don't
feed to other systems, while the major news servers are responsible for
carrying articles from and to *many* other servers.)

Anyway -- I don't see a problem with what you propose to post.
If it starts getting extreme, I (and others) will first complain to you,
and I would expect you to stop, based on your posting.

What *I* object to is people posting about openings in "craft
fairs", and offering to sell our crafts. I'm sure that those are
posting to every newsgroup in the rec.crafts.* heirarchy, without
bothering to determine what each is really about. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Harold and Susan Vordos

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, DoN. Still, I have one question that troubles me. Is anyone in
charge of RCM? Why does it exist? When one posts, or reads posts that
come from RCM, is there any one place where it is all on a hard drive
(besides Google)? I trust by now you understand I'm totally confused as
to how the entire thing works. Someone, somewhere, one fine day must have
decided there should be an entity known as RCM------how did it come into
being? Does anyone have the authority to restrict anyone from posting?
Can I assume it's nothing more than an address where everyone meets, but
there isn't any such place? I might liken it to a directory (on many, if
not all servers), under which anyone has access and adds their comments.
Something like that?

Harold

On 18 Mar 2005 01:16:50 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

For that matter -- you *can* lose your account by posting binary
files to a discussion newsgroup -- but you probably won't for a one-time
offense. Posting copyrighted stuff is more likely to get their
attention.

Another offense that most are not aware of is posting ebay auctions on
usenet ng's. It's against ebay's TOS to do so and they can/will take
measures against members who do so. That can range from a warning to
losing ones membership entirely:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/usenet_policy.html

Quoted from above:

"UseNet Policy
eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to
advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates
the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported to eBay, we may
among other remedies) remove the listing, issue a warning, temporarily
suspend or indefinitely suspend the offender's eBay account."

Granted, there would have to be a number of formal complaints about
the offending poster before any action would be taken, but that's
relatively easy to do. All it takes is a few ****ed off ng patrons to
get that ball rolling.

Where this gets iffy is if the specific ng doesn't have a no ebay ads
clause in their charter, but many don't as they were formed long
before ebay was conceived. That said, I've seen numerous cases where
people spamming ng's with ebay auctions had both their ebay
memberships pulled as well as their ISP accounts, in ng's that do bot
have that specific clause. Ebay tends to err on the side of usenet.

Bottom line is if one thinks he's angered a few folks in any ng, or is
posting ebay ads in ng's they aren't familiar with, they're flirting
with a potential problem... especially if they've got a well seasoned
account with 100% feedback.

As far as posting FA or FS notices, what I've seen repeated in the
ng's I frequent is it's generally acceptable if done occasionally by
regular participants of that ng. It's when someone who's never
contributed to a ng, and is clearly just tryin' to make a quick buck,
that the **** hits th' proverbial fan.

Rightfully so IMHO.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:32:59 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Still, I have one question that troubles me. Is anyone in
charge of RCM?

It appears not, it's not a moderated ng.

Why does it exist?

I'd assume to do exactly what it's doing, bringing metalworking
aficionados together for discussion on said same topic. The exact
language would be in the original charter. A good question would be;
are there any original charter members still active here? That info
might be derived by checking the final CFV (Call For Votes) where rcm
was granted it's name and then seeing if any voters names are
familiar.

When one posts, or reads posts that
come from RCM, is there any one place where it is all on a hard drive
(besides Google)?

Nope. Heh, unless there's a super anal original charter member who's
saved every single one of them.

I trust by now you understand I'm totally confused as
to how the entire thing works.

If you get bored, there are quite a few ng's just for this proccess.
You'll see them near (above and below) the news.announce.newgroups.
(n.a.n) Note that's not newSgroups, it's newgroups. You get there
the same way you subbed here. All of the answers to your questions
are located therein. Look for any posts in n.a.n that start with RFD
(Request For Discussion) that's sort of where it all starts.

Someone, somewhere, one fine day must have
decided there should be an entity known as RCM------how did it come into
being?

It takes much more than a someone. There has to be a proven need for
a new ng, i.e, sufficient amount of interested people to validate
granting one in whichever hierarchy, alt, rec, etc...

It can get real nasty if a number of folks from say rcm decide they
want to form a subgroup and call it
rec.crafts.metalworking.noofftopicbs. When it's time for the CFV
(Call For Votes) and enough induhviduals vote no, rcmn could be
denied. For example, this happened in the rec.motorcycles.harley
split from rec.motorcycles. It turned out to be an all out war; rmh
won.

Does anyone have the authority to restrict anyone from posting?

Only in moderated ng's. In non-moderated ng's ones only recourse is
the almighty kill file, bit bucket (whatever you want to call it), or
given that tool isn't available, ignore them. One can complain to the
ISP's of particularly offensive induhviduals with the hope of them
losing access via that ISP, but they'll usually just get another one.

Can I assume it's nothing more than an address where everyone meets, but
there isn't any such place? I might liken it to a directory (on many, if
not all servers), under which anyone has access and adds their comments.
Something like that?

Sure, using your analogy, but that dictionary changes every second.
Some peoples versions retain entries longer than others is all. That
said, every single copy of the *dictionary* has the exact same name.

Usenet has been here much longer than the "web". It's the great
Grandpappy of Al Gore.

Gerald Miller

wrote:

Thanks, DoN. Still, I have one question that troubles me. Is anyone in
charge of RCM? Why does it exist? When one posts, or reads posts that
come from RCM, is there any one place where it is all on a hard drive
(besides Google)? I trust by now you understand I'm totally confused as
to how the entire thing works. Someone, somewhere, one fine day must have
decided there should be an entity known as RCM------how did it come into
being? Does anyone have the authority to restrict anyone from posting?
Can I assume it's nothing more than an address where everyone meets, but
there isn't any such place? I might liken it to a directory (on many, if
not all servers), under which anyone has access and adds their comments.
Something like that?

Harold

If you go to:

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/faqa.html

and download some of the early ('92) archives you will find that the
group started as IIRC a "test" group and developed from there into one
of the best.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

*Which* service provider? Usenet is hosted on hundreds or
thousands of systems around the world. There is no *one* service
provider to say yea or nea.

Thanks, DoN. Still, I have one question that troubles me. Is anyone in
charge of RCM?

No! Since it is in one of the "big eight" heirarchies (rec,
news, comp, sci, talk, soc, humanities and misc), there is a specified
way to go about getting a newsgroup created. In others, there are other
ways, but the big eight (which are officially all of usenet -- the rest
(like alt) sort of ride along).

Why does it exist?

Because some people cared enough to go through the hoops needed
to form the newsgroup. It starts with posting a RFD (Request For
Discussion) in news.groups. Then there is a discussion period, in which
people thrash out what the charter should be, and other details, such as
"should this newsgroup be moderated?" -- defending them against people
who say "Who needs yet another newsgroup, what you want to talk about
can be covered in x.y.x?". (As it turns out, rec.crafts.metalworking
was one of the early newsgroups which tried the "trial" newsgroup
heirarchy first. That allows people to test it, with a restricted
distribution.)

Once the RFD period is over, there is then posted a CFV (Call
For Votes), in which everybody in the discussion period, and anyone else
who cares, is free to submit a vote. There is a regular number of
people who vote against *any* new newsgroup. There must be a minimum of
100 votes, and the "yeas" must be a 2/3s majority. (If there are fewer
than 100 votes, it is presumed that there is not sufficient interest.)

The submission of the CFV is done by a set of regulars who help
guide the proponents of the newsgroup through the process. I think that
even the RFD call needs a "mentor" these days as well.

When one posts, or reads posts that
come from RCM, is there any one place where it is all on a hard drive
(besides Google)?

How about "not even Google"? Google honors the "X-No-Archive: "
header, so the articles will not even stick around there.

Each article starts its life by being posted to some news
server. I run my own, so I can tailor things like the expire time for
newsgroups which I particularly care about. Once it is posted, it
is placed in the local server's news spool directory. The server also
queues copies to be passed to one or more "upstream" sites. These also
store copies in their news spools, and pass them on to many other sites.
They branch out around the world, and come back together via various
paths, so any news site may receive multiple copies of a given article.
This is one of the uses of the "Message-ID: " header. A database of
recently received articles is stored by "Message-ID: ", and if the
server has already a record of having received the article, the new copy
is discarded. Since many of the connections between servers are
one-way, this explains why the answer sometimes comes in before the
question. The answer can come more directly than the question.

Each server gets to specify its own expire time on a per
newsgroup basis. The retention time of the entries it the database of
record of receipt may be cleared before a later copy arrives, so you can
see it twice.

Each server also gets to specify which newsgroups it will carry.
I carry some of the rec.crafts newsgroups, some of the "news.admin"
newsgroups, some of the "comp.sys.*" newsgroups, and some of the
comp.unix.* newsgroups. I carry almost no "alt.*" newsgroups, with the
exception of alt.folklore.computers and alt.machines.cnc. And each
server gets to specify which newsgroups it is willing to feed to other
servers, so a local newsgroup heirarchy can exist. I have one. Most
ISPs with news servers have one. And these are seldom fed outside of
the local server.

At one time, when Fidonet was being gatewayed to usenet, some of
the gateways were re-writing the "Message-ID: " and the "From: " headers
as well, so second (and sometimes third and fourth) copies of your
articles would appear -- except that instead of (in my case
", I would appear as ".

Really -- the "control" of usenet is a cooperative anarchy.
Nobody can enforce rules on another server -- though a majority can vote
to "shun" with a UDP (Usenet Death Policy) if the provocation is great
enough.

I trust by now you understand I'm totally confused as
to how the entire thing works.

Justifiably so. It is complex, and sort of "just grew". All
the information is out there, but you have to dig to find it.

Someone, somewhere, one fine day must have
decided there should be an entity known as RCM------how did it come into
being?

The RFD and CFV process described at the beginning of this
message.

Does anyone have the authority to restrict anyone from posting?

Any news server can restrict who can post using *that* news
server. Mine is set up so nobody from outside can post. I do have
provisions so a friend can post, by connecting to my system, and
passing the article via a rather uncommon protocol once logged in.

Can I assume it's nothing more than an address where everyone meets, but
there isn't any such place?

Sort of -- there is no such place, but it is everywhere. :-) (Or
at least, everywhere that there are news servers who carry this
particular newsgroup. You don't need to know a central address (such as
a web site has), but rather you need to access one (or more) of the many
news servers around the world.

I might liken it to a directory (on many, if
not all servers), under which anyone has access and adds their comments.
Something like that?

Sort of. Each newsgroup is actually a subdirectory on each
server (with the path varying with the version of the news server
software). An example is the path on my server of rec.crafts.metalworking.

/usr/local-5/news/spool/articles/rec/crafts/metalworking

another newsgroup on my server is:

/usr/local-5/news/spool/articles/rec/music/makers/squeezebox

Note that the first part is the same on all:

/usr/local-5/news/spool/articles/

and the rest is the newsgroup name with the '.'s replaced by '/' (the
unix subdirectory separator, which Microsoft sort of copied, using '\',
because they already had '/' tied up as the option switch flag.

As for how usenet got started -- it started with a mailing list,
back when the total number of interconnected systems made that
practical. Then it grew to a heirarchy, with the first word being "net"
(e.g. net.talk, net.comp, net.soc). Things grew and grew, and there
have been many versions of the software through the years. When I first
started my server, "b-news" was being replaced with "c-news", which I
used. I later upgraded to various others, ending with a version of
"inn" (InterNetNews).

I hope that this is some help.

BTW I just got the cut style knurler today -- and haven't yet had
a chance to get to the shop and try it out. It is a cute little
one which I should even be able to use on my little
Compact-5/CNC without any problems.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

wrote:

Still, I have one question that troubles me. Is anyone in
charge of RCM?

It appears not, it's not a moderated ng.

Why does it exist?

I'd assume to do exactly what it's doing, bringing metalworking
aficionados together for discussion on said same topic. The exact
language would be in the original charter. A good question would be;
are there any original charter members still active here? That info
might be derived by checking the final CFV (Call For Votes) where rcm
was granted it's name and then seeing if any voters names are
familiar.

I had just found it as a "trial" newsgroup (or was that "test",
and followed it into the formation of rec.crafts.metalworking. I
*think* that I got in on the CVF, but I can't swear to it. I followed
it for a while, then had to drop out for a while (insufficient time,
with the comp.unix.* and comp.sys.* ones which I *had* to follow for
work. Once I retired, I picked it up again.

One thread which I remember from the early days was when someone
posted asking for how to tune the tension rods on the underside of a
railroad carriage. (He was involved in restoring a full-sized
specialized rail carriage.

When one posts, or reads posts that
come from RCM, is there any one place where it is all on a hard drive
(besides Google)?

Nope. Heh, unless there's a super anal original charter member who's
saved every single one of them.

Hmm ... actually, now that I think of it, there *is*. The same
site that hosts the FAQ (something.uwo.edu) also hosts the archive, in
which every article that made it to their server was folded into a big
archive file. It started with one file per year,then two, and is (I
think) now there per year. It even has a few virii archived, from when
virii in newsgroups were more common. I think that it was the "good
news" virus, but I'm not sure.

These archive files can be downloaded via FTP -- but be sure
that you have plenty of bandwidth and time. As time goes on, more and
more aggressive compression algorithms were used, and IIRC, the current
one is bzip2, which leaves an extension of ".bz2". Before that "gzip"
(.gz), and perhaps before that, "compress" (.z).

[ ... ]

Usenet has been here much longer than the "web". It's the great
Grandpappy of Al Gore.

Yep -- it started out by systems calling each other via modems
using uucp to transfer files. It grew to adopt the internet when that
became generally available, but it was readily accessible before arpanet
broke up to become the internet and no longer a government monopoly.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Harold and Susan Vordos

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Big snip of a super response-

From all indications, this all began when two or more computer owners
decided it would be a good idea to link with modems, from which the entire
system (the internet) slowly evolved. Your detailed response has given me
a much better understanding, and I'm grateful for you taking the time.

I've always been totally dazzled that one can hook up to almost anyone in
the world, and do it almost instantly. I can't tell you how many fine
people I've enjoyed talking with------one of which is a young family man
that lives in China. He found me, thanks to RCM, with questions about gold
refining, after reading some of my posts concerning the subject. He was
handling the refining for a company of over 1,000 employees and had lots of
questions. Talking with him was a very interesting experience.

Once the RFD period is over, there is then posted a CFV (Call
For Votes), in which everybody in the discussion period, and anyone else
who cares, is free to submit a vote. There is a regular number of
people who vote against *any* new newsgroup. There must be a minimum of
100 votes, and the "yeas" must be a 2/3s majority. (If there are fewer
than 100 votes, it is presumed that there is not sufficient interest.)

The submission of the CFV is done by a set of regulars who help
guide the proponents of the newsgroup through the process. I think that
even the RFD call needs a "mentor" these days as well.

These people, I assume, would be amongst the few that originated the entire
system, so they had a tendency to oversee that which they had helped create.
Safe to assume no one gave any of them any authority, but they were honored
as being in charge, more or less. I'd liken it to a group of guys
gathering at a remote site to drag race. No one is really in charge, but
there's a core group that is responsible for everyone being there, so they
are the ones that tend to control the happenings. The majority then
rules. How cool is that?

Can I assume it's nothing more than an address where everyone meets, but
there isn't any such place?

Sort of -- there is no such place, but it is everywhere. :-) (Or
at least, everywhere that there are news servers who carry this
particular newsgroup.

I hope that this is some help.

Yep! Sure was, along with the comments from others. Combined, I feel I have
at least a basic understanding of how it works. Certainly much better than
before. I'll always probably be in awe that it works, but, like driving a
car, one need not understand the workings of an engine in order to reap the
benefits of driving.

Thanks to one and all for sharing your valuable time with us. I'm sure
there are plenty of folks that are just as confused as I have been that
benefited by your kind postings.

BTW I just got the cut style knurler today -- and haven't yet had
a chance to get to the shop and try it out. It is a cute little
one which I should even be able to use on my little
Compact-5/CNC without any problems.

Way cool, DoN. If, by chance, you take the time to take a pic of it, I'd
enjoy seeing it. Even better if it's involved in a cut! Feel free to
forward them to me should you do so. Your email is always welcome.

Best regards to all~

Harold