Harold and Susan Vordos

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Big snip of a super response-

From all indications, this all began when two or more computer owners
decided it would be a good idea to link with modems, from which the entire
system (the internet) slowly evolved. Your detailed response has given me
a much better understanding, and I'm grateful for you taking the time.

I've always been totally dazzled that one can hook up to almost anyone in
the world, and do it almost instantly. I can't tell you how many fine
people I've enjoyed talking with------one of which is a young family man
that lives in China. He found me, thanks to RCM, with questions about gold
refining, after reading some of my posts concerning the subject. He was
handling the refining for a company of over 1,000 employees and had lots of
questions. Talking with him was a very interesting experience.

Once the RFD period is over, there is then posted a CFV (Call
For Votes), in which everybody in the discussion period, and anyone else
who cares, is free to submit a vote. There is a regular number of
people who vote against *any* new newsgroup. There must be a minimum of
100 votes, and the "yeas" must be a 2/3s majority. (If there are fewer
than 100 votes, it is presumed that there is not sufficient interest.)

The submission of the CFV is done by a set of regulars who help
guide the proponents of the newsgroup through the process. I think that
even the RFD call needs a "mentor" these days as well.

These people, I assume, would be amongst the few that originated the entire
system, so they had a tendency to oversee that which they had helped create.
Safe to assume no one gave any of them any authority, but they were honored
as being in charge, more or less. I'd liken it to a group of guys
gathering at a remote site to drag race. No one is really in charge, but
there's a core group that is responsible for everyone being there, so they
are the ones that tend to control the happenings. The majority then
rules. How cool is that?

Can I assume it's nothing more than an address where everyone meets, but
there isn't any such place?

Sort of -- there is no such place, but it is everywhere. :-) (Or
at least, everywhere that there are news servers who carry this
particular newsgroup.

I hope that this is some help.

Yep! Sure was, along with the comments from others. Combined, I feel I have
at least a basic understanding of how it works. Certainly much better than
before. I'll always probably be in awe that it works, but, like driving a
car, one need not understand the workings of an engine in order to reap the
benefits of driving.

Thanks to one and all for sharing your valuable time with us. I'm sure
there are plenty of folks that are just as confused as I have been that
benefited by your kind postings.

BTW I just got the cut style knurler today -- and haven't yet had
a chance to get to the shop and try it out. It is a cute little
one which I should even be able to use on my little
Compact-5/CNC without any problems.

Way cool, DoN. If, by chance, you take the time to take a pic of it, I'd
enjoy seeing it. Even better if it's involved in a cut! Feel free to
forward them to me should you do so. Your email is always welcome.

Best regards to all~

Harold