Default My Apology to this Group - Business Closing - Equipment for Sale

Several days ago, I posted a notice to this group that I was closing my
business and have equipment for sale. If I violated the rules of this
group in any way, it was done in ignorance, and I sincerely apologize.
Otherwise, I think I owe no apology to anyone. If someone would direct
me to a site where the rules of this group are written, I'll do my best
to follow them.

My post was pretty short. I simply said to e-mail me for further
information. Some folks here had a problem with that, and spent
considerably more time posting ugly untrue assumptions rather than
sending me a sincere inquiry. I did receive some legitimate responses
and actually sold items as a result of the post. Thank you.

I believe that most people are honest and are who and what they say
they are. Further, even in questionable situations, I believe in
acertaining the truth rather than making assumptions that have no basis
other than suspicion. To the individuals who trashed me with hateful,
untrue comments, without checking anything out, please try to learn how
to get along in this world and get a real life.

John Smith

Tim has a very good point.

usenet is faceless, and it seems people take that as an opportunity to be as
rude as they can, which they would never dare do face to face.

Just ignore the fools who seem to think they 'own' usenet.

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Grant Erwin wrote:

No big deal -- stick around why don't ya. -- GWE

Then you'll realize that you weren't getting special treatment

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

HaroldA102

Moneymakes the world go round seem like it is a bitch when you do not have
it and its a bitch it a bitch when you tryto pull some in It is to bad you
close your bizzness . With all the emails you got
looks like someone is reading here

The only real issue anyone took with the post was trying to figure out
where in the world you were. If you live next door I would probably be
very interested in what you have to sell. If you are on the opposite
side of the pond, there is zero interest. Didn't even have to
specific, just something to give a 100mi radius or so.

JW

SteveB

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You have hit the nail on the head, my friend. There is, in my humble
opinion, nothing wrong with what you did. This newsgroup is not sacred. If
it were, all this off topic blather would not be allowed, and it would be a
much better newsgroup. The problem, as you have deduced, is that some of
these people have no life. They only have time to post inane posts about
all manner of things, both real and imagined. Mostly imagined. When you
analyze their posting records, it would be impossible for many of them to
have jobs, times for hobbies, a sex life, a social life, or even time in the
shower. So, you must imagine their sad pathetic lives and understand the
problem.

I recently posted some small things I had for sale in another newsgroup. I
was immediately taken to task by the resident posters with nothing to do but
read every post and comment on it, and make sure their imaginary anal rules
are enforced. I got an e mail from my ISP telling me not to do it again.
No big deal.

So, don't worry about it. Idiots will act like idiots. There are still
many good folks here who dispense valuable information and experience that
can save you time and make you money, or just answer your questions. Don't
judge us all by the behavior of the radical fringe with nothing to do but
hang on a keyboard. And please don't leave. You sound like a well reasoned
logical person. We can use more of you.

Steve

You did not violate any of the rules of this group, other than only
giving one clue as to where you are located. ( The members of this
group that are in UK, Austrailia, New Zealand, and Africa always seem
to say where they are when they are looking for something or trying to
sell something. ) If you had stated that you were in North Carolina
in your first post, I think there would not have been any of the posts
which speculated on how legitimate your message was.

And allthough you say that there are trucks that run all over this
country, it is still expensive to have machinery shipped a long ways.
I did not reply to your original message as I guessed you were probably
not in the Seattle area.
Dan

HaroldA102

It aint hard to figure out were i am
See if you can tell me

Stephen Young

HaroldA102 wrote:
It aint hard to figure out were i am
See if you can tell me

Why do you need to make a game of it? If I was offering something for sale to the world, I'd let
the world know where the object needed to be shipped from - why is this so difficult to
understand & why would the seller be so secretive?
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:45:03 -0500, Stephen Young wrote:
HaroldA102 wrote:
It aint hard to figure out were i am
See if you can tell me

Why do you need to make a game of it? If I was offering something for sale to the world, I'd let
the world know where the object needed to be shipped from - why is this so difficult to
understand & why would the seller be so secretive?

Especially when all AOL posters' usenet traffic are proxied through a
server in Herndon, Virginia.

HaroldA102

bud i do not have any to hide stay on top of the origanail thread.if you do not
like it do not read it
Dave Hinz

On 03 Feb 2005 22:36:19 GMT, HaroldA102 wrote:
bud i do not have any to hide stay on top of the origanail thread.if you do not
like it do not read it

Again, you're posting without giving the slightest hint of who you're
responding to. Additionally, your shift key seems to be broken. Thirdly,
as it's unlikely you'll ever post anything I find of value, plonk.

HaroldA102

Bud i can post good stuff but aol is going to turn me off so i got to give it a
last try.

Ken Davey

HaroldA102 wrote:
Bud i can post good stuff but aol is going to turn me off so i got to
give it a last try.

Indeed if this your 'last try' it is a **** poor one.
Most if not all the flames you attracted would not have been necessary if
you had just said
'Sorry, I forgot to say where this equipment is located.
enter location
Simple eh?

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Joe

Several days ago, I posted a notice to this group that I was closing my
business and have equipment for sale. If I violated the rules of this
group in any way, it was done in ignorance, and I sincerely apologize.

Ford recently pulled its plans to run a commercial selling a vehicle to a
priest because some "I've been abused by a priest" group complained that
preists shouldn't be in ads...

Vermont Teddy Bear just pulled it's "I'm crazy for you" bear because some "I
support mentally handicapped" group complained...

The world is turning into a bunch of uptite, super-sensitive,
let-me-tell-you-why-I'm-right-and-you-are-wrong, rude realm... Just ignore
those who complain unless they are the majority or close to it...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Fred R

Dave,

Harold's messages are correctly threaded - messages are indented under
the one they are replying to. Does your viewer support that?

He is not the person listing machinery to sell.

Also, he is a *much* better machinist than typist, judging from the many
useful (albeit 'terse') posts he has made over the years I've been reading.
--
Fred R
________________
Ed Huntress

"Joe" wrote in message
Several days ago, I posted a notice to this group that I was closing my
business and have equipment for sale. If I violated the rules of this
group in any way, it was done in ignorance, and I sincerely apologize.

Ford recently pulled its plans to run a commercial selling a vehicle to a
priest because some "I've been abused by a priest" group complained that
preists shouldn't be in ads...

I usually agree with your position on this, Joe, but these two were examples
that I also found to be needlessly hurtful. In the case of the minister
(they tried to make him look *not* like a priest, but apparently failed),
the "priest" gets a little sensual about the truck, and a little girl comes
up to him while he's in his state of lust (she had tossed the keys onto the
collection plate), the priest adds the letters "L" and "t" to the beginning
and end, respectively, of the word "us" on a message board, and the
background music is a special recording of Billie Holiday's "Guilty."

All in all, a little over the top.

Vermont Teddy Bear just pulled it's "I'm crazy for you" bear because some

"I
support mentally handicapped" group complained...

They complained because the bear is sold wearing a straight jacket. g
Again, a little over the top.

Not that I would disallow such things, but both advertisers faced the
problem that the attention brought to irrelevant elements of their ads
distracted attention from the product. And both were also needlessly touchy
for certain groups of people. If it had served some legitimate purpose -- if
the straightjacket meant something other than stereotyping the mentally ill,
for example, I'd stand right behind both of them. But not this time. These
were both kind of sleazy. They deserve to be yelled at.

The world is turning into a bunch of uptite, super-sensitive,
let-me-tell-you-why-I'm-right-and-you-are-wrong, rude realm... Just

ignore
those who complain unless they are the majority or close to it...

I thought rights were about protecting minorities from the majority.

--
Ed Huntress

Joe

I usually agree with your position on this, Joe, but these two were
examples
that I also found to be needlessly hurtful. In the case of the minister
(they tried to make him look *not* like a priest, but apparently failed),
the "priest" gets a little sensual about the truck, and a little girl
comes
up to him while he's in his state of lust (she had tossed the keys onto
the
collection plate), the priest adds the letters "L" and "t" to the
beginning
and end, respectively, of the word "us" on a message board, and the
background music is a special recording of Billie Holiday's "Guilty."

Ahh.. Context is everything!

They complained because the bear is sold wearing a straight jacket. g
Again, a little over the top.

Ahh.. Good clean fun there. And for those of you wondering, I have not
one, but two mentally handicapped relatives. One permamently in a
facility... Doesn't offend me a bit. MAybe I need the straight jacket.

[...]

If we were talking "rights" then I'd agree, but we are talking about whether
a post is appropriate for this particular group.

I agree, my examples were a bit off-track, but one has to admit that there
are certainly a lot more uptight people in the world these days... Or is it
just me noticing it?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Ed Huntress

"Joe" wrote in message

If we were talking "rights" then I'd agree, but we are talking about

whether
a post is appropriate for this particular group.

I agree, my examples were a bit off-track, but one has to admit that there
are certainly a lot more uptight people in the world these days... Or is

it
just me noticing it?
--

You're quite right, and no, you're not the only one noticing it. It's been
grating a lot of people, including me, for a very long time.

I happen to think that PC-ness is being toned down lately, but it just may
be a case of what I'm seeing. I think it reached its peak maybe five years
ago.

Also, your basic point in that message is a valid one. Sorry for taking it
off track. It just happened that I had read articles about both cases
tonight and I was thinking about both of them when I saw your message.

My feeling about both not that they are intentionally hurtful, but that they
are thoughtless and needlessly rude in public. It's something like hearing
your pre-teen kid swear out loud. They all should be given a good talking
to.

--
Ed Huntress

Joe

Also, your basic point in that message is a valid one. Sorry for taking it
off track. It just happened that I had read articles about both cases
tonight and I was thinking about both of them when I saw your message.

No apology needed. We both replied to an OT thread. It's a free-for-all
now. grin
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Ken Davey wrote:
HaroldA102 wrote:
Bud i can post good stuff but aol is going to turn me off so i got to
give it a last try.

Indeed if this your 'last try' it is a **** poor one.
Most if not all the flames you attracted would not have been necessary if
you had just said
'Sorry, I forgot to say where this equipment is located.
enter location
Simple eh?

Except that "HaroldA102" was not the person posting something
for sale. That was posted by ".

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
HaroldA102

Thank you for the nice comment i am
trying to type better.The other day i made a post about someone blowing up
machine .I type it all correctly the whole nineyards
Then aol would not let it go though.I did get
the bandit running again 5 boards later the
guy monkeyed with the machine screwed it up and then called me tofix it .Now he
is making parts again i am the expert .But today i am a man with no direction.
jim rozen

In article , Joe says...

Ford recently pulled its plans to run a commercial selling a vehicle to a
priest because some "I've been abused by a priest" group complained that
preists shouldn't be in ads...

LOL. Joe I don't think it was the alterboys who were
complaining about *that* one. I think the sensitvity
is probably on the _other_ end of that equation!

Jim

please reply to:

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:03:18 -0500, Joe wrote:

The world is turning into a bunch of uptite, super-sensitive,
let-me-tell-you-why-I'm-right-and-you-are-wrong, rude realm... Just ignore
those who complain unless they are the majority or close to it...

So, Joe, tell me. When the guy got abusive and snippy when several people
asked where in the world he was, how do you see that as a positive way
to interact?
Joe

So, Joe, tell me. When the guy got abusive and snippy when several people
asked where in the world he was, how do you see that as a positive way
to interact?

My comments were directed at the original complaints to the post only. They
were not meant to jusitfy or support anyone's reported abusive, snippy
actions. If that is the case, that is the basis for a totally different OT
post.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Hi Steve B.,

Thanks for your kind words. I think I will stick around. With almost
40 years experience in metalworking and plastics, I just might be of
help to some folks here. There's one thing you forgot to mention about
the no life people who make the inane posts here. I agree it's doubtful
they have any time for jobs, sex, hobbies, bathing etc., but it's
pretty obvious they don't poop.

Gunner

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 07:56:54 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On 7 Feb 2005 21:17:36 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi Steve B.,

Thanks for your kind words. I think I will stick around. With almost
40 years experience in metalworking and plastics, I just might be of
help to some folks here. There's one thing you forgot to mention about
the no life people who make the inane posts here. I agree it's doubtful
they have any time for jobs, sex, hobbies, bathing etc., but it's
pretty obvious they don't poop.

Now THAT'S funny!!

With home wireless networking..you can post AND poop.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

BUSINESS CLOSING - Shop & Office Equipment FS [email protected] Metalworking 26 February 1st 05 04:27 PM
Home Inspection Careers A-Pro Home Inspection Home Repair 1 November 26th 04 11:49 AM
Nice write up about LEDs Gunner Metalworking 242 June 13th 04 04:10 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM