Orrin Iseminger

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:12:07 -0600, "Rex B"
wrote:

I have a new neighbor behind me, who has transformed our quiet area into a
noisy one. The primary culprit is a miniture pinscher that barks constantly
whenever anyone is in sight.

This has been an outstanding thread. I might have to try some of the
suggestions.

How can you be so lucky that you only have to listen to one dog. Our
neighbors directly across the road from us have at least a half-dozen!
They bark constantly during the day while the both of them are at
work.

On weekends when the dogs are out and barking, the neighbors get
annoyed with them and are constantly yelling at the mutts to shut up.
I wonder if it has ever occured to them that we might also be annoyed.
I don't go away in the daytime so I have to listen to the din
constantly.

Orrin

jim rozen

In article , Orrin Iseminger says...

wrote:

I have a new neighbor behind me, who has transformed our quiet area into a
noisy one. The primary culprit is a miniture pinscher that barks constantly
whenever anyone is in sight.

This has been an outstanding thread. I might have to try some of the
suggestions.

I think it's a shame that the neighbors are behaving badly. Their
dog is not the issue, it is the people who need to be corrected.
I would not try to shoot the dog, that would be wrong.

My approach to this would be to invest in a large powerful sound
system, and whenever the dog is barking I would play music to
accompany him. Probably Frank Sinatra or maybe Bob Wills.
I would do this at pain threashold levels.

Rudeness begats rudeness.

Jim

please reply to:
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Sunworshipper
wrote back on Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:05:45 -0800 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:52:53 -0700, "Bill P" wrote:

Now that's a good idea ! Bright lights aimed at the neighbors' house
when the db is met. That just might work for me. No way that I'm going
to say it just right in spanish with a sign.

Oh no? Try "Callate su pinche perro". It'll get the message across...
Bill

Thanks , noted for possible future use. LOL, but that's not exactly
the way I was thinking. My sis had a dog long ago that she named
Pinche Perra and she told me that one time she was looking for the dog
and going through a neighborhood calling its name and people where
giving her dirty looks, like no wonder why your dog ran away.

Friend named her car "Puta Betty" - it was only after her money.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Carl Byrns

wrote:

I have a new neighbor behind me, who has transformed our quiet area into a
noisy one. The primary culprit is a miniture pinscher that barks constantly
whenever anyone is in sight. Our lots are 1 acre or larger, but all I have
to do is step out my backdoor and that shrill bark is a constant until a few
minutes after I get out of sight.
I bought one of those ultrasonic Bark-Stoppers, but it doesn't seem to
bother it much, although it did at first. I think that's a good idea, but
needs a LOT more power. Any idea where I could get a high-power ultrasonic
noise generator? Or what I would need in order to build one? I'm no EE,
but I can solder 2 wires together.
The other possiblity is a board fence along the property line. Thought
about planting a line of bamboo along the fence
And of course I'd shoot the SOB (and I get strong temptations), but it's
really the owner that's the problem. They have a "So what?" attitude about
"my" problem. Besides, it's illegal. And I'm in the county, so there is no
city ordinance.

Any other suggestions?

Tell the dog owner you are going to pound the **** out of him the next
time his ****ing dog barks.

(This only works if you can pound the **** out of him)

Anything else is cruel top the animal.

-Carl
Old Nick

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 05:09:11 -0800, John Ings
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:56:13 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

Got any specs on handheld megaphone bandwidth?

3KHz +- 500Hz? Guessing only, but that sounds about right. The horn is
not deisgned for either high or low. The amp will not handle
ultrasonics. It's designed to bray! G

Most of them have a built in siren that sounds a lot higher than that!

OK. I have never seen one with a siren. 3Khz is actually quite a high
sound, but OK, 3KHz-7Khz.

Anyway, none of them would bother getting up to ultrasonic IMO. It's
just wasted bandwidth from a limited power source.

Old Nick

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:20:23 -0600, "Rex B"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Not so much timid as lacking the knowledge.
Plus, I have plenty of projects that I'd rather be tinkering with. I'd love
to be able to buy a big tweeter horn, a signal generator, and an amp and be
able to plug and play.

The Bark stopper is just about all that. As I said, replace the
existing speaker with a bigger horn. With the afforementioned caveats.
I still question whether it will work long term.

The tape recorder idea is not bad. You can get little digital ones now
for bu..next to nothing for that matter. They can probably loop by the
press of a button. I know it adds to noise, but this may need a bit of
short term pain for long term gain.

You would not need a loud sound, or good quality, I would think. It
only has to set the dog off. Some dogs bark at any sound.

Just one thing. There are ngs dealing with dog behaviour. Avoid them.
I went there asking for some help. The place was full of nutters. Real
interesting folk

In the the extreme case, that poor woman who was ripped open for her
foetus was all tied up on a dog networking thing.

Old Nick

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:30:30 -0600, Don Foreman
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I built an oscillator that put out about a 18-20V square wave, and ran
a piezo horn tweeter from that at 23Khz. The tweeter was designed to
accept 25V RMS IIRC.

I measured, IIRC, about 128 dB at 1 metre with a pro level (borrowed!)
DB meter that had 40Khz capability.

Still did not scare the roos for more than a little while.....:-

Building an electronic power oscillator is simple enough, but it's
hard to find speakers that can handle serious ultrasonic power. Most
tweeters are rated for "program power", and there isn't much
ultrasound in most audio program material.

Old Nick

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:37:18 -0600, "Rex B"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Problem with the 3 S method is I'd have to climb the fence to retrieve the
carcass. Twice the dog has escaped and come into my yard, snarling at the
wife. But I missed both those opportunities.

AH! Now if the dog has escaped and come into your yard, especially if
it has threatened anybody, then go to the council, preferably with
proof, such as video or photos if it comes in again. The whole council
legal situation changes. They will probably only warn a couple of
times, but it starts the ball rolling.

The other (braver, but it's only a miniature) is to actually have it
bite you in your yard, or anywhere outside theirs. Then you are well
into legal territory, especially if it draws any blood, in just about
any city I have lived in. They even get to pay for the rabies and
tetanus shots! G
Gunner

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:25:00 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:13:34 -0800, Sunworshipper
calmly ranted:

I started with a nicer variation of that when they moved in - "Please quiet
your dog". No change.
Maybe the big lighted version would be nice when they have a backyard party
coming up

Complete with sprinklers which go on (accidentally watering the
neighbor's yard, too) as the party starts and go off when the
party ends? Bueno.

Don't forget the strobes. You can hook them up to the Barkstopper
gizmo, so when the dog barks, the strobes go off.

Now that's a good idea ! Bright lights aimed at the neighbors' house
when the db is met. That just might work for me. No way that I'm going
to say it just right in spanish with a sign.

Try "Calma Su Chingando Perro Ahorita!" Close enough, eh?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
close enough....... G
Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Rex B

Don,
If you don't mind going to the trouble, I'd like to read that. You can
email it to me (remove the obvious).

As for the sound level, the Bark Stopper unit I bought supposedly puts out
120 db. Doesn't seem to phase this hound, at a range of ~10-ft.

Thanks

Rex

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:00:15 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Reference for Hartmann whistle:
Ultrasonic Engineering (With Particular Reference To High Power
Applications), Crawford, Alan E: Butterworths Scientific
Publications, London 1955 pp 115-121. There are some design
equations.

I'll scan it if anyone is interested.

Rex B

"Don Foreman" wrote:

I scrounged a DirecTV satellite dish and was builiding a whistle

So what would that have been like? Use the parabolic reflector to focus
the
incoming sound, or the outgoing?

It would focus the ultrasound from a whistle into a focussed beam,
resulting in much higher sound pressure level at a distant point.
The wavelength of 22 KHz sound is about 0.6 inches while Ku band
satellite signals have a wavelength of about 1 inch -- so this dish
would be highly directional with ultrasound. The beamwidth would
(theoretically) be about one degree, making a "spot" of about 21"
dia at 100 feet.

It might be a little tricky finding the focal point of a dish, though.

Line it with foil, shine a light on it, see where it focuses? I guess you
would mount the whistle so the output point is at the focal point, directed
toward the dish surface?

A simple horn would probably work just fine and it'd be easy to make.

I agree, don't know that I'd go to the trouble of doing the dish, though I
do have a spare.

Another possibility might be the reflector from a large
flashlight/lantern. A 6" dia parabolic reflector would have a
beamwidth of about 6 degrees and it'd be a lot easier to work with.
Neat thing about Hartmann whistles is that they are quite small at
ultrasonic frequencies, and cost about nothing to make on a lathe.

Have lathe, need a project. I can get comressed air to that area fairly
easily.
Sounds like a good one.

Please keep us posted if you do this. I never did. Started to twice
and the offending dog and owners moved both times. Maybe you don't
actually have to build it, just start to and they'll move!

LOL That would be good, but these people just got here and look to be
settling in for the long haul.

XPRTEC

Subject: OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

Have had this problem over the 60 some years with somebody always. The
Policeman next door always seemed to get the "job done" by tossing a couple
bacon grease laden sponges in the pen or across the fence!

The offending dog just lapped it up until it got into its throat and the sponge
got stuck and it blocked its "noise making capability". I don't condone
hurting animals, but it sure tries may patience when said cops menagerie of
hound dogs gets bellering! But alas he was removed from uniform by shooting
himself with a protective vest on! Now he can't stand his own dogs! Nuff
said!

Jim
Rex B

Can it be made to be adjustable? If so, you could start at an audible freq
and twist it till the pained expression leaves your (SO, daughter etc)s
face. Then it would be just right

"John Ings" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:06:33 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

It looks like the whistle could be made out of 1/4" brass rod if you
have a lathe.

Hey that's a thought! You'd need a microphone and an oscilloscope to
be sure you had the right frequency tho...

Rex B

Probably broadcast. Why?

"axolotl" wrote in message
Rex B wrote:

They seem to be fond of cooking
outside, complete with big-screen TV tuned to a football game, volume UP

Hmm. Broadcast or cable?

Kevin Gallimore

Rex B

Wow, great site! Wish I'd seen that before I paid $60 for Mr. Bark
Stopper(not)
Some of those look like they would cause ear bleeding, which would be
perfect

"Randal O'Brian" wrote in message
Get ultrasonic blaster @ http://www.amazing1.com/ultra.htm.
Trigger it with a security light IR motion sensor (Home Depot)

Randy

"Rex B" wrote in message
[...]

Rex B

"bw"
It comes into your yard?? That makes it easy. Just put a suitable trap on
your side of the line. When it gets caught its your dog to do with as you
please.

The wife suggested the pooch might like a long ride to the far side of town.

Rex B

"B.B." wrote in message Dog-a-pult? Nah, I shouldn't add to the dog
murdering suggestions....

LOL "Your Dog has been returned to your yard"

John Ings

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:00:40 -0600, "Rex B"
wrote:

Can it be made to be adjustable? If so, you could start at an audible freq
and twist it till the pained expression leaves your (SO, daughter etc)s
face. Then it would be just right

Make a compressed air slide whistle with say a length of 3/8 tubing
and a smaller size tube with a closed end that will just fit inside.
Adjust to the pained expression on the DOG'S face!

Carl Byrns

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:35:13 -0600, "Rex B"
wrote:

"Carl Byrns" wrote
Tell the dog owner you are going to pound the **** out of him the next
time his ****ing dog barks.

(This only works if you can pound the **** out of him)

Said neighbor appears to be about a Size 42, and maybe a size 6 hat. I have
a couple friends that could more than match him. Maybe I ought to invite
them over for a beer or two in the bacyard.

You're never going to solve anything by waiting for someone else to
show up and do the dirty work.

I had a nieghbor who threw a lot of his yard waste into my yard one
day (not the first time). Stuff like branches and leaves- the guy was
real anal about his yard.
So I got out the old woodchipper, removed the chute and proceded to
grind up all of the debris he threw in my yard (plus some extra) and
blast it back onto his formerly pristine lawn. Took him weeks to clean
up all those little wood chips.

-Carl
Peter Grey

There's another type of collar that my neighbor uses on her dog. The dog
used to bark incessantly when the neighbor was at work. In response to my
complaints and at the suggestion of her vet, she bought a collar that shoots
a small stream of harmless-but-annoying citrus-based (?) fluid at the dog's
snout whenever it barks.

It's worked wonders. That dog NEVER barks when the collar is used. Of
course, one needs to have a neighbor that's interested in solving the
problem in order for this to work...

Peter

"TLKALLAM8" wrote in message
Buy a bark collar for the dog it shocks the dog every time it barks,cost
about
$50 If the dog owner refuses to use it
tell him your lawyer will contact him and we can settle this in court.The
dog
owner will say you won't win.You say thats ok
you will have to hire a lawyer and it will cost both of us around $5,000
each
just to start.So use the collar or we can go to court the choice is yours.

Rex B

That's interesting. I still have a problem paying my money for something
the neighbor should be doing. I guess I ought to get over that, but at least
I get to keep what I use on my side of the fenced.

k.net...

"TLKALLAM8" wrote in message
Buy a bark collar for the dog it shocks the dog every time it barks,cost
about
$50 If the dog owner refuses to use it
tell him your lawyer will contact him and we can settle this in court.The
dog
owner will say you won't win.You say thats ok
you will have to hire a lawyer and it will cost both of us around $5,000
each
just to start.So use the collar or we can go to court the choice is
yours.

Rex B

I had no idea this thread would go on this long, but it's been darned
interesting. This is a sharp bunch, with a lot of ingenious suggestions.
Don, I like the last whistle suggestion, please do send, or post, the
scan of that article.
And thanks to all for your contributions. I'll let you know how it turns
out.

Rex B

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:20:23 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:02:14 -0600, "Rex B"
wrote:

I scrounged a DirecTV satellite dish and was builiding a whistle

So what would that have been like? Use the parabolic reflector to focus the
incoming sound, or the outgoing?

It would focus the ultrasound from a whistle into a focussed beam,
resulting in much higher sound pressure level at a distant point.
The wavelength of 22 KHz sound is about 0.6 inches while Ku band
satellite signals have a wavelength of about 1 inch -- so this dish
would be highly directional with ultrasound. The beamwidth would
(theoretically) be about one degree, making a "spot" of about 21"
dia at 100 feet.

It might be a little tricky finding the focal point of a dish, though.
A simple horn would probably work just fine and it'd be easy to make.

Right, that's why I suggested starting with a parabolic microphone.
You already would have the mounting hardware pointing the element to
the right spot, just replace the mic with your driver.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:54:43 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

wrote:

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:13:34 -0800, Sunworshipper
calmly ranted:

Now that's a good idea ! Bright lights aimed at the neighbors' house
when the db is met. That just might work for me. No way that I'm going
to say it just right in spanish with a sign.

Try "Calma Su Chingando Perro Ahorita!" Close enough, eh?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
close enough....... G

You can tell I used to live in LoCal, huh? I picked up a bit of
essential Spanish the brief time (35 years) I was there.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

axolotl

Rex B wrote:
Probably broadcast. Why?

Well.... As you know, it's illegal to interfere with communications, so
I wouldn't know anyone who has done this- There is a phenomenon known as
FM quieting. The strongest signal on the frequency will "take over". Say
an unmodulated signal (like from a signal generator) broadcasts at the
the same frequency as the TV sound channel. The TV will be silent. One
shudders to think what might happen if this property were used by the
wrong people. As a hypothetical case, let us assume a jerk of a neighbor
that buys a new sound system and uses it to blast disco at all hours.
One might tune a signal generator to the frequency of the offending
station and use a piece of wire as an antenna (you are close, you don't
need much signal). One might wait for the mighty thump of sound, pause a
few seconds, and turn on the signal generator. The radio will fall
silent. Listen for muffled curses beyond the wall. Turn the signal
generator off. The disco will resume. Practice the length and spacing of
the silent passages to get the best effect.

Kevin Gallimore

Don Foreman

wrote:

Can it be made to be adjustable? If so, you could start at an audible freq
and twist it till the pained expression leaves your (SO, daughter etc)s
face. Then it would be just right

Yes, they are adjustable, at least to a point. You could also "tune"
at reduced air pressure because air pressure reportedly doesn't affect
frequency, only power output.
Don Foreman

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:29:45 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I'll scan it if anyone is interested.

Please do.

Hartmann whistle article in .jpg form at:
http://www.goldengate.net/~dforeman/hartmann/

About 1 meg alltogether. I'll leave it up for a few days.

If the system has pll tuning you can probably drift the sig gen down
until you are on the frequency of an opera or country music program
before securing it.

Don Foreman

You'll find it at http://www.goldengate.net/~dforeman/hartmann/

As for the sound level, the Bark Stopper unit I bought supposedly puts out
120 db. Doesn't seem to phase this hound, at a range of ~10-ft.

That doesn't sound promising -- but the whistle may produce
considerably more than 120 dB.
Nick Hull

In article ,
"Rex B" wrote:

"bw"
It comes into your yard?? That makes it easy. Just put a suitable trap on
your side of the line. When it gets caught its your dog to do with as you
please.

The wife suggested the pooch might like a long ride to the far side of town.

Just drop it off at a Vietnamese restaurant

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Rex B

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rex B" wrote:

"bw"
It comes into your yard?? That makes it easy. Just put a suitable trap
on
your side of the line. When it gets caught its your dog to do with as
you
please.

The wife suggested the pooch might like a long ride to the far side of
town.

Just drop it off at a Vietnamese restaurant

I could do that on my way to work. It's like Little Saigon in this section
of Fort Worth

Rex B

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
link.net...
My neighbor bought the thing herself because she had some sense of
responsibility. It doesn't sound like your neighbor is so encumbered.

He seems to be a simple sort of fellow, yes.

Xane T.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:53:40 -0600, "B.B."
u wrote:

If you pass close by you could just carry a water squirt bottle--like
the kind windex comes in. Fill it up with plain, clear water. (rinse a
whole lot if you reuse an old windex bottle) Give the little doggy a
good, harsh stream right in the face when he barks at you and he'll
learn after a few times to either shut up or stand back. Sam's sells
some big ones that can develop a surprising amount of power. But they
are the brother of the antichrist.... Water balloons are a good option
and fun!

If the dog is persistent, and the water trick doesn't work, buy some
Binaca breath spray and squirt it at (not up!) his nose instead of
using a water bottle. Still not toxic to him, but it'll shut it up for
awhile. The scent is too strong for a dog to stand.

Old Nick

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:12:07 -0600, "Rex B"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

JUst BTW. You are approaching one of those records threads for length.
As usual OT (not complaining here).

I also have to say that it has to be one of the longest threads EVER
without any sign of bickering! Amazing.

[...]

Old Nick

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:32:11 -0600, "Rex B"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Something about "dB". the reading is meaningless (and often
misleading) if a measuring distance is not also given. The _standard_
as I know it is one foot, maybe one yard and in our mteric world, one
metre. Because sound pressure (SPL) drops off so fast with distance,
unless the unit is _very_ good at directing it as described in this
thread, "120 dB" at 1 foot could be 100 dB or less at 1 yard, without
doing any math (it is NYD). So they tell you it's 120dB but forget to
mention they had the sensor stuffed in the unit's throat.

As I said before, even at 10' the dog will be getting a very small
proportion of the available sound. It also sounds like it has a real,
ingrained problem.

You could try the spotlight reflector or antenna dish ideas. They
would make a huge difference.

As for the sound level, the Bark Stopper unit I bought supposedly puts out
120 db. Doesn't seem to phase this hound, at a range of ~10-ft.

Nick Hull

In article ,
Orrin Iseminger wrote:

How can you be so lucky that you only have to listen to one dog. Our
neighbors directly across the road from us have at least a half-dozen!
They bark constantly during the day while the both of them are at
work.

Ever hear of a large capacity magazine? Ever wonder why they were
invented?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Don Foreman

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:01:18 +0800, Old Nick

Something about "dB". the reading is meaningless (and often
misleading) if a measuring distance is not also given. The _standard_
as I know it is one foot, maybe one yard and in our mteric world, one
metre. Because sound pressure (SPL) drops off so fast with distance,
unless the unit is _very_ good at directing it as described in this
thread, "120 dB" at 1 foot could be 100 dB or less at 1 yard, without
doing any math (it is NYD). So they tell you it's 120dB but forget to
mention they had the sensor stuffed in the unit's throat.

Right. Radio Shack (and the mfr they use) spec their piezo tweeters
at 18 inches, or at least did at one time. (The more common standard
is 1 meter.) If the reference is 120 dB at 18 inches it would
be down by 16.5 dB to 103.5 dB at 10 ft.

But, I think the dogbark guys are indeed taking their reading right at
the mouth of the horn to get 120 dB, Using the specs from Radio
Shack (originally from Motorola and now by whomever bought their piezo
business), and scaling for being driven at a level I've found
they start getting warm (about 32 volts peak-to-peak), I figure
the level would be about 80 dB at 10 feet.
Martin H. Eastburn

Rex B wrote:

"bw"

It comes into your yard?? That makes it easy. Just put a suitable trap on
your side of the line. When it gets caught its your dog to do with as you
please.

The wife suggested the pooch might like a long ride to the far side of town.

The dog might beat you back home! - Some dogs have been reported to come home
when left or gotten out of a car while on a trip. The longest that I heard of
was over 2000 miles. Dog was in good shape, took months and likely it grew
many versions of pads for the feet.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn