Rex B

Default OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

I have a new neighbor behind me, who has transformed our quiet area into a
noisy one. The primary culprit is a miniture pinscher that barks constantly
whenever anyone is in sight. Our lots are 1 acre or larger, but all I have
to do is step out my backdoor and that shrill bark is a constant until a few
minutes after I get out of sight.
I bought one of those ultrasonic Bark-Stoppers, but it doesn't seem to
bother it much, although it did at first. I think that's a good idea, but
needs a LOT more power. Any idea where I could get a high-power ultrasonic
noise generator? Or what I would need in order to build one? I'm no EE,
but I can solder 2 wires together.
The other possiblity is a board fence along the property line. Thought
about planting a line of bamboo along the fence
And of course I'd shoot the SOB (and I get strong temptations), but it's
really the owner that's the problem. They have a "So what?" attitude about
"my" problem. Besides, it's illegal. And I'm in the county, so there is no
city ordinance.

Any other suggestions?

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:12:07 -0600, Rex B wrote:

And of course I'd shoot the SOB (and I get strong temptations), but it's
really the owner that's the problem. They have a "So what?" attitude about
"my" problem. Besides, it's illegal. And I'm in the county, so there is no
city ordinance.

Over in misc.rural, there's a saying about the "3 S's". Shoot, Shovel,
and Shutup. "Nope, haven't seen your dog."

Dave "Used to have 30 acres and a backhoe, but sold the backhoe" Hinz

John Ings

wrote:

Any idea where I could get a high-power ultrasonic
noise generator?

You just need an amplifier for the one you've got. Try one of those
hand-held electronic megaphones.

edard

Rex B wrote:
(...)
but it's
really the owner that's the problem. They have a "So what?" attitude
about "my" problem. Besides, it's illegal. And I'm in the county, so
there is no city ordinance.

Any other suggestions?

How about a "something" that makes it bark around 2 AM?

Tom Gardner

Won't work, the megaphone doesn't have the bandwidth.

However, big speakers with rap music or spotlights aimed at the house might
annoy the owner to comply.

wrote:

Any idea where I could get a high-power ultrasonic
noise generator?

You just need an amplifier for the one you've got. Try one of those
hand-held electronic megaphones.

yourname

get a pair of earplugs and one of those billion decibel horns [like they
use for blasting or on a boat] and walk right to the fence line while it
is barking and let fly. repeat as required

wrote:

Any idea where I could get a high-power ultrasonic
noise generator?

You just need an amplifier for the one you've got. Try one of those
hand-held electronic megaphones.

Huey Conway

wrote:

[...]
===
=== Any other suggestions?
===

Nothing an anti freeze saturated bisquit won't cure.
John Ings

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:04:59 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Won't work, the megaphone doesn't have the bandwidth.

While dogs can hear up to 45K, there's no need to go that high.
Really all you need to do is get above the range of human hearing.
Say 24K or so.

Got any specs on handheld megaphone bandwidth?

Dave Hinz

wrote:

Any idea where I could get a high-power ultrasonic
noise generator?

You just need an amplifier for the one you've got. Try one of those
hand-held electronic megaphones.

Frequency response of a hand-held megaphone is unlikely to go above
the 20KHz or above that the noise generator puts out.

Rex B

I considered something like that, but I don't want to offend the good
neighbors while dealing with the bad.

I do have my pellet gun sighted in at exactly the right distance, but have
held off so far.

wrote:

Any idea where I could get a high-power ultrasonic
noise generator?

You just need an amplifier for the one you've got. Try one of those
hand-held electronic megaphones.

Jerry Martes

"Rex B" wrote in message
[...]

Rex

I once solved a problem like yours by placing a radio near where my
neighbors could hear it. The dog barked, and I switched on the extension
cord that connected to the radio. I was lucky and my neighbors decided to
control their dog.
If you are willing to invest money it could be easy to fabricate a device
that automatically energizes a high frequency - high intensity speaker that
is activated by the sound of a dog's voice. You and I couldnt hear it, but
the dog will experience discomfort shortly after it barks.

Jerry

Dave Hinz

wrote:

===I have a new neighbor behind me, who has transformed our quiet area into a
===noisy one. The primary culprit is a miniture pinscher that barks constantly

Nothing an anti freeze saturated bisquit won't cure.

Poison is a coward's approach. And fix your quoting string.

Roger Shoaf

"Rex B" wrote in message
[...]

Why not make friends with the dog? Get yourself a couple of boxes of milk
bones and co-opt the little bugger. When I was a kid I used to walk by a
towing yard that had a mean old junk yard dog. I would swing by the do-nut
shop and grab a handful of the previous days offerings out of the dumpster.
after several days of this the dog would sit and watch me coming wagging his
tail.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Joe AutoDrill

What I did consider was somehow attaching the Barkstopper to an autodialer
with the owners phone number on it.

Now you're talking! I'll follow this thread.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

SteveB

"Rex B" wrote in message
[...]

I would google and investigate a higher powered squealer that is beyond the
range of human hearing. Look under "ultrasonic deer repeller" or
"ultrasonic repeller." I found hundreds. Some are motion activated, and
you wouldn't even have to be there. This would keep the dog AWAY from even
the fence on your side.

Only the dog would hear it. Fix it to the fence inconspicuously on YOUR
side, and aim it through the fence. Set the thing at the level of the dog.

I would imagine that if you secured the right frequency and high output, you
could make that little bugger curl up in pain.

A few times oughta do it. Check with Radio Shack, or a local electronics
geek and see if they would have any ideas. They always love little projects
like this.

Keep us posted.

Steve

SteveB

"Rex B" wrote in message
I have a new neighbor behind me, who has transformed our quiet area into a
noisy one. The primary culprit is a miniture pinscher that barks
constantly whenever anyone is in sight.

snip, snip.

I wrote and suggested buying a deer repeller. Upon further reading in
Google, I discovered a thread about four articles down where people were
commenting that the deer repellers didn't work that well. They suggested
one from Austrailia.

You would be into that about $100. I would suggest that you investigate the
Radio Shack idea. I have seen those megaphone speakers at yard sales about
the size of a coffee can. The ones used for car alarms, etc. They go for
about a buck. A simple electronic squealer you could get at Radio Shack
hooked up to that would put out quite a blast, hopefully silent to humans.
You would be into it a lot le$$. But even if you COULD hear it, you can
always parrot the neighbor and say, "What noise? I didn't hear anything."

This is about altering the dog's behavior. If he knows he barks at someone
walking up and gets blasted, he will stop barking at approaching people.

And if not, at least you will be getting even about him assaulting YOUR
ears.

Steve

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:17:39 -0800, SteveB wrote:

A few times oughta do it. Check with Radio Shack, or a local electronics
geek and see if they would have any ideas. They always love little projects
like this.

You know, an ultrasonic device at the focal point of a parabolic microphone
(replace the mic with the speaker) would give a _very_ directional signal.
Aim it at Barky, hit it, and see how it goes.

williamhenry

feed the little bugger some manwich a couple of times right before the
owners let him in the house for the evening,

then after he likes your snacks feed him some manwich with exlax ,

if he is out all night , get yourself a remote controlled any thing and
start running it around at all the ungodliest hours

people don't keep pets that are a pain in the ass

sorry that's not true according to my wife

Rex B

"Jerry Martes" wrote in I once solved a problem
like yours by placing a radio near where my
neighbors could hear it. The dog barked, and I switched on the extension
cord that connected to the radio.

That would likely alienate the good neighbors on either side

If you are willing to invest money it could be easy to fabricate a device
that automatically energizes a high frequency - high intensity speaker
that is activated by the sound of a dog's voice. You and I couldnt hear
it, but the dog will experience discomfort shortly after it barks.

That is what I had in mind, but I haven't a clue how to start.

Rex B

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Rex B" wrote in message
[...]

That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I'd be surprised if anything
common and cheap would have a 22K hertz range.
I have to be careful, since my wife hears almost as well as that dog, and I
don't want her mad at me

SteveB

"williamhenry" wrote

people don't keep pets that are a pain in the ass

sorry that's not true according to my wife

Then either the Florence Nightingale or Jane Goodall complex kicks in. The
mangier, the sicker, the more obnoxious a pet is, the more the owner wants
to keep it and "help" it and "make it better".

Most people won't admit they bought a chucklehead dog, and just get rid of
it because that would be equivalent of admitting them made a mistake. So,
they just kick it outside.

Trust me on this. I was married to just such a person.

keith bowers

"Rex B" wrote in message
[...]

Take a look at HiFi tweeter horns. Drive it with a 555 and a boost
transistor.
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:12:07 -0600, "Rex B"
calmly ranted:

I have a new neighbor behind me, who has transformed our quiet area into a
noisy one. The primary culprit is a miniture pinscher that barks constantly
whenever anyone is in sight. Our lots are 1 acre or larger, but all I have
to do is step out my backdoor and that shrill bark is a constant until a few
minutes after I get out of sight.
I bought one of those ultrasonic Bark-Stoppers, but it doesn't seem to
bother it much, although it did at first. I think that's a good idea, but
needs a LOT more power. Any idea where I could get a high-power ultrasonic
noise generator? Or what I would need in order to build one? I'm no EE,
but I can solder 2 wires together.

I heard that if you place a high-frequency speaker onto a signal
generator and run it between 20kHz and 40kHz it will drive the dog
nuts.

The other possiblity is a board fence along the property line. Thought
about planting a line of bamboo along the fence

Or through the dog? The problem is that it won't help much.

And of course I'd shoot the SOB (and I get strong temptations), but it's
really the owner that's the problem. They have a "So what?" attitude about
"my" problem. Besides, it's illegal. And I'm in the county, so there is no
city ordinance.

Any other suggestions?

Check the county noise regulations. They may be the same as the local
city regs, no noise from 10pm to 7am, at least. Also, circulate a
petition for your neighbors to sign, then as a group, go over and ask
that he quiet his dog. Once he knows that the entire area is mad at
him he may change his tune.

Until then, those of us who are constantly bombarded by barking from
dogs can only pray for a chemist to come up with a solution which will
weaken the vocal chords of canines to a whisper, as it should be.

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

Sunworshipper

wrote:

[...]

I don't know , but will ask an EE friend if he ever calls back. I
could use one myself. Also need one for people and their music.

Years ago I put up a 65' X 8' split block wall by myself just so I
didn't have to see and hear the little girl and the rotwier barking
and chewing on her arm every day. Neighbors can be such a
nuisance.
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Rex B
wrote:

[...]

Balls of raw hamburger and peanut butter.
Dogs snarf them down and spend the next hour trying to get the peanut
butter off their tongue.
No harm done, but it sure distracts them.
Ken Vale

Rex B wrote:
[...]

Small dogs are a pain in the ass (or heel as the case may be). The old
neighbors had one that would bark and charge to attack me everytime I
walked past, I really wanted to hoof the little thing (my foot was
bigger than it), but they moved away before I had the need to kick it.

Are you sure the Bark Stopper is still in working order? I have no other
comments or suggestions that someone else has not covered.
Ken

Bill P

"Ken Vale" wrote in message
Rex B wrote:
[...]

As a last resort ~ When the little "Tuff-Dog" is snarling thru the fence a
shot of hair spray in the mouth/face can "terminate" the problem.... for
good. Then apply the appropriate of the 3 "S's".....

Bill

Anthony

"Rex B" wrote in
:

"Rex B" wrote in message
[...]

Probably the ideal solution to train it not to bark..would be, as someone
suggested...a way to only emit the high frequency when it barked...
To refine that a bit...a few things would be needed..
A microphone
A tuneable frequency monitor with a triggered output.
An occilliscope with which to view the frequencies.
As the dog is barking, tune the frequency monitor to only trigger during
a certian frequency band of the bark which is not present in the normal
background noise.
Tie the output trigger to trigger a 555 tied to high-frequency speaker,
such as suggested by another poster , Rat-Shack used to make a trumpet-
shaped tweeter that would work well.
This way, only when the bark was within a narrow frequency band would the
high-frequency blast back at the dog, quickly training him.
If you just turn it on when he is barking...and don't pulse it on the
barks....the dog won't know what the deal is....
pulsing it on each bark....will give him the idea quickly tho.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old Nick

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:21:38 -0800, John Ings
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

wrote:

Won't work, the megaphone doesn't have the bandwidth.

While dogs can hear up to 45K, there's no need to go that high.
Really all you need to do is get above the range of human hearing.
Say 24K or so.

Got any specs on handheld megaphone bandwidth?

3KHz +- 500Hz? Guessing only, but that sounds about right. The horn is
not deisgned for either high or low. The amp will not handle
ultrasonics. It's designed to bray! G
Old Nick

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:30:01 -0600, "Rex B"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

What I did consider was somehow attaching the Barkstopper to an autodialer
with the owners phone number on it.

Now there you have it! G (Optional) But get your number privatised
first.
Old Nick

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:12:07 -0600, "Rex B"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I bought one of those ultrasonic Bark-Stoppers, but it doesn't seem to
bother it much, although it did at first.

I have owned many dogs. They did not bark. A barking dog is a pest, I
agree. I really appreciated that you see the owners as the problem.
Shoot _them_ G.

OK. Step 1. Fairly cheap. You can get Piezo horns for PA systems, that
I have tested way up above 20Khz. They are very efficient in one
direction, as all horns are. Replace the piezo speaker in the bark
stopper with this horn, and the dB level will be way up over what you
have. The ones I am talking about run on 100watt systems, but draw
very little current, being Piezo. They are about 2" high, 6-8" long
and maybe 4" deep, with a mounting flange.

I cannot _guarantee_ that the speaker will not overload (bust) your
bark-stopper. Even Piezo units have different power needs.

Trouble is with all these things, like the roo/deer stoppers (even the
Australian one) they only work for a while, if at all. I built a few
that were louder than the claims for the commercial units. They
worried the roos, but in the end hunger won.

The bark stopper needs to be right with the dog, on its collar, so the
noise _hurts_. In the end, if the dog is 100 yards away, it's only an
annoyance, and maybe a curiosity, that stops him barking. Sound drops
off at _least_ as the square of the distance. Any trees or fences are
killers and the higher the freq the faster they are absorbed.
Unfortunately the bamboo fence will stop your bark stopper's noise but
not the lower freq dog's bark. :-

I assume you have talked to the neighbours? Try again. Try 3 times.
Then I reckon your auto-dialler is the way to go. But of course there
_are_ laws forbidding exactly that, although the dog can bark away at
will. :-

Get the "good" neighbours onside and _all_ talk to the owners.
Old Nick

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 03:41:40 GMT, Anthony
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Probably the ideal solution to train it not to bark..would be, as someone
suggested...a way to only emit the high frequency when it barked...
To refine that a bit...a few things would be needed..

A bark stopper has already been mentioned, and I believe tried. But it
nheeds more grunt.

TLKALLAM8

Buy a bark collar for the dog it shocks the dog every time it barks,cost about
$50 If the dog owner refuses to use it
tell him your lawyer will contact him and we can settle this in court.The dog
owner will say you won't win.You say thats ok
you will have to hire a lawyer and it will cost both of us around $5,000 each
just to start.So use the collar or we can go to court the choice is yours.
Samantha BeanHead

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:11:15 -0700, "Bill P" wrote:

"Ken Vale" wrote in message
Rex B wrote:
[...]

Only a pathetic little weakling would even suggest being that cruel to
an animal.
Thanks.
B.B.

In article ,
"Rex B" wrote:

[...]

If you pass close by you could just carry a water squirt bottle--like
the kind windex comes in. Fill it up with plain, clear water. (rinse a
whole lot if you reuse an old windex bottle) Give the little doggy a
good, harsh stream right in the face when he barks at you and he'll
learn after a few times to either shut up or stand back. Sam's sells
some big ones that can develop a surprising amount of power. But they
are the brother of the antichrist.... Water balloons are a good option
and fun!
Failing that, a big "SHUT YOUR ****ING DOG UP" sign facing their
fence might be a good plan. Well-lit at night. Maintain a "so what"
attitude if they complain and maybe they'll spring for the cost of a
privacy fence and you'll have a good story to brag about.
Or befriend the doggy. Feed him and be nice to him until he doesn't
bark and just wants you to pet him. I did that with a neighbor's
rottweiler when I was young. Naturally, my mom was horrified.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

[...]

No No.

When I was 2 - read that TWO years old, I lost three dogs in a row to the
neighbor behind us. Woo Woo ate a little hot dog with rat poison.

Finally we (Mom and Dad) determined who did what and how - and the Sherri f
went to visit the little old lady with pictures of his jail. Sadly, that
was enough for Mom and Dad - it might have been me grabbing a bite to eat -
and as it turned out - moved to San Diego to work on the SNARK missile.

I think Dad looked for another position, but never mentioned it to us.
Hum - have to check that in his memory documents to see his thoughts.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer