Ahernwill

Default O.T. COMPLAIN-COMPLAIN-COMPLAIN!

Every morning a group of us have coffee in a local restaurant and there is
one guy who constantly complains about everything- weather, taxes, price of
gas, politicians, lawyers, schools, traffic, foreigners of any kind,etc. and
on and on. It has gotten to the point where the whole table dreads his
arrival. The irony is that he lives in a nice neighborhood, has a new truck
and his wife has a newer car- he also has a camper , a boat, a quad and a
housefull of nice furniture, TV's, appliances, a garage stuffed with all
kinds of tools and gadgets etc. Having travelled all over the world in my
career, I can say with authority that 95% of the world's population could
live comfortably on what he spends on his boat and camper. I sometimes want
to grab him by the shirt and say " What the F**K is your problem man? " But
instead I said it here- anyone else know a guy like this?

AZOTIC

[...]

Yep, we would lock the shop doors when we thought he was likley to
visit. We celibrated when he finaly took his business elsewhere.

Best Regards
Tom.

Chuck

Reminds me of a joke:

A man is visiting an old friend. They sit there talking on the friends
front porch, the friends old Bloodhound at his feet. The Bloodhound
sporadically gives out a howl/yelp.
After 10 minutes of this behavior the man asks his friend "Is you dog
OK?".
"Oh yes" replies the friend. "He is just sitting on a nail".
"Why doesn't he move?" says the man.
"Well, it doesn't hurt THAT much!" replies the friend.

Chuck in Phoenix

"Ahernwill" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Attached Images

GMasterman

Yea, we got them, too. Mostly Democrats complaining of how bad the economy is
because of Bush, all the while driving new cars and living like kings in fine
new houses.
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:33:43 GMT, "Ahernwill"
calmly ranted:

[...]

But of course. Everyone does, and we're just like him on some days.
(You whined to us instead of him, didn't you?

DO confront him as you just stated here. It just may change (for the
better) the way the entire group relates, and how he relates to life.
Give him Lincoln's quote while you're at it. It's quite true, and far
too many of us forget it on a daily basis. (Guilty as charged.)

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

jim rozen

In article et, Ahernwill
says...

Every morning a group of us have coffee in a local restaurant ...

Sounds to me like it's time to change resturants. If you're
lucky, the malcontent will stay at his favorite spot.

I've met folks like your buddy, they can be amusing if only because
they give perspective. But tiresome after a while, indeed.

Jim

please reply to:

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:33:43 GMT, "Ahernwill" wrote:

||Every morning a group of us have coffee in a local restaurant and there is
||one guy who constantly complains about everything- weather, taxes, price of
||gas, politicians, lawyers, schools, traffic, foreigners of any kind,etc. and
||on and on. It has gotten to the point where the whole table dreads his
||arrival. The irony is that he lives in a nice neighborhood, has a new truck
||and his wife has a newer car- he also has a camper , a boat, a quad and a
||housefull of nice furniture, TV's, appliances, a garage stuffed with all
||kinds of tools and gadgets etc. Having travelled all over the world in my
||career, I can say with authority that 95% of the world's population could
||live comfortably on what he spends on his boat and camper. I sometimes want
||to grab him by the shirt and say " What the F**K is your problem man? "

Do it. Call it a Christmas present to yourself, and a favor to the complainer.
Texas Parts Guy
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Yep. On the other hand...those of us at the coffee klatch do
ultimately drop the hammer on him and do it nicely but firmly and
point out that he has the world by the balls..so
quitchubitchingalready. And why we think so. The guy is has taken the
role of the group whiner. Thats his claim to fame and his bid for
attention.

If you dont speak out..its no ones fault but your own. But of course
be diplomatic about it.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio
wmbjk

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:47:02 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

The guy is has taken the
role of the group whiner. Thats his claim to fame and his bid for
attention.

Unfriggenbelievable! http://tinyurl.com/6ebyy

Here's a quote for you -

"Yep, son, we have met the enemy and he is us."

Wayne
DanG

Amen.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote:

The guy is has taken the
role of the group whiner. Thats his claim to fame and his bid
for
attention.

Unfriggenbelievable!
http://tinyurl.com/6ebyy

Here's a quote for you -

"Yep, son, we have met the enemy and he is us."

Wayne

Ken Cutt

Ahernwill wrote:
[...]

Maybe he is unaware of how it comes across . Sometimes " OCD " affects
people very much this way .
Ken Cutt
Lewis Hartswick

wrote:

Here's a quote for you -

"Yep, son, we have met the enemy and he is us."

Wayne

Good ol Pogo. He is one of my heros.
...lew...
Ahernwill

"jim rozen"
Sounds to me like it's time to change resturants. If you're
lucky, the malcontent will stay at his favorite spot.

I've met folks like your buddy, they can be amusing if only because
they give perspective. But tiresome after a while, indeed.

Jim

I took your advice and began frequenting another place, just to avoid any
confrontation and to keep some peace of mind during the holiday season.
Already met a few other
" regulars" and so far not another complainer.
Thanks to all for the responses and Merry Christmas.

Charles Morrill

On 2004-12-23 08:33:43 -0500, "Ahernwill" said:

[...]

Many. I look at the situation as a bit more humorous, however.
I cheerfully like to ask such folk if they've stopped to consider that
99.999% of the world's people would love to have their problems.
Sometimes, you can download BBC clips about some poor family in
wherever and when the guy starts to complain, you can pull them out and
say, "You know, I read this recently and thought of you...."
But the best thing to do is probably to get all your friends
together and when the guy starts to complain, have everyone ball up
their napkins and throw them at him with a collective groan. What the
heck, there's probably no great solution.

Chas Morrill

Too_Many_Tools

One rule to remember is that people seldom complain about what is
really is the problem in their lives.

Your resident "complainer" may not have figured out life yet. The fact
that he has all the processions you mention tells me he may be a person
who is trying to fill a void in his life with "stuff" and is still
finding that void unfilled. (There is a good chance that stuff is not
paid for yet either.)

There is also a very good chance that the home life is not going well
either. I know of several neighbors that fit that description....have
everything and more money than they could burn and they still
bitch..bitch...bitch. The thing is that I know who they are married to
and what that person is like. Knowing the rest of the story allows me
to understand why they are so unhappy...I would be too.

Also before I would label this guy a chronic "complainer", take a look
in the mirror. I have found that some people are intolerant of anyone
who has a different opinion than theirs. A lone Democrat/Republican in
a room of Republicans/Democrats would be labeled as a complainer when
the real situation is that they are working a tough audience.

If you know him well, you can take him aside and let him know of the
image he protrays to the others. If not, then voting with your feet is
the best thing to do.

TMT

Garry

Sounds like the farmer that was complaining abot paying 18000 in
income taxes while I made less than 5000 all year. This was about 30
years ago. Got quite mad when I told him that he didn't really have
much to complain about if he made eough to have to pay that kind of
taxes with all the tax breaks farmers had at that time.

Garry

wrote:

[...]

jim rozen

In article , GMasterman says...

Yea, we got them, too. Mostly Democrats complaining of how bad the economy is
because of Bush, all the while driving new cars and living like kings in fine
new houses.

Odd. Around here it's republicans complaining about how high
their taxes are. Enjoy your war, folks.

Jim

please reply to:
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Ahernwill"
wrote back on Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:33:43 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
[...]

Yeah. Some people would complain if they were hung with a new silk
rope.

I've been "all over the world" myself. Places where we got "today's"
paper a day late, and nobody drank city water. Five dollar petrol, back
when a dollar was worth $2.50. I know that what United Staters consider
abject poverty, most of the world considers "bloody well off." So what? I
don't live there.
It is also my misfortune to currently live in a neighborhoods where two
bedroom apartments costs $850 a month. But it's an improvement over the
place where I had to shell out $450 for a hole in the wall, with the
bathroom down the hall. Oh, I wasn't complaining, it beat having a corner
of a box out on the expressway.
Heck, I can remember having to make due with only a black and white
television, no cell phone, and the only phone in the house was a rotary
dial model!

--
pyotr filipivich.
Jeff R.

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Heck, I can remember having to make due with only a black and white
television, no cell phone, and the only phone in the house was a rotary
dial model!

From Monty Python:

========================
"Yorkshireman IV: You were LUCKY! We lived for three months in a
newspaper-lined septic tank! We used to have to get up every morning, at six
o'clock and clean the newspaper, go to work down the mill, fourteen hours a
day, week in, week out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home, our dad
would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Yorkshireman II: Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at three
o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work
twenty hours a day at mill, for twopence a month, come home, and dad would
beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle... IF we were lucky!

Yorkshireman III: Well, of course, we had it tough! We used to have to get up
out of the cardboard box in the middle of the night, and lick the road clean
with our tongues! We had to eat half a handful of freezing cold gravel, work
twenty-four hours a day at mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got
home, our dad would slice us in two with a breadknife!

Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at
night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work
twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to
work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our
graves, singing Hallelujah!

Yorkshireman IV: Oh, ay. And you try and tell the young people of today that,
and they won't believe you!

All: No, no they won't!
==========================

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=003KZC

Hehehe

--
Jeff R.

jim rozen

In article , pyotr filipivich
says...

It is also my misfortune to currently live in a neighborhoods where two
bedroom apartments costs $850 a month.

I don't think there's a single one of those in all of NY state at
this point. You can easily pay the mortgage on an entire house
for what it costs in rent for a two bedroom apartment.

Heck, I can remember having to make due with only a black and white
television, no cell phone, and the only phone in the house was a rotary
dial model!

You had a *dial*? We still don't have those here.

:^)

Jim

please reply to:
Martin H. Eastburn

jim rozen wrote:

In article , pyotr filipivich
says...

It is also my misfortune to currently live in a neighborhoods where two
bedroom apartments costs $850 a month.

I don't think there's a single one of those in all of NY state at
this point. You can easily pay the mortgage on an entire house
for what it costs in rent for a two bedroom apartment.

Heck, I can remember having to make due with only a black and white
television, no cell phone, and the only phone in the house was a rotary
dial model!

You had a *dial*? We still don't have those here.

:^)

Jim

When I moved into this place 16+ years ago, I was asked if I wanted a 1:4 party line
or the one single line left for this part of 'town'.
I took the single line. Then got another when available.
The phone company finally strung another cable from town. Oh, the town center
went to a digital switch from Relays 10 years ago. I talked to a phone man
about that - as I knew about ESS at the time - he said there were some phone
exchanges in Northern Ca. that refused automation. They still use 'hose and plug'
with an operator plugging the wall for everyone! Those were the days. Waiting
for an operator to answer! (Used to be that way for us and long distance.)

Martin [plugged in the Princess phone today when power went out for hours ]

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:46:37 +1100, "Jeff R."
calmly ranted:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
Heck, I can remember having to make due with only a black and white
television, no cell phone, and the only phone in the house was a rotary
dial model!

From Monty Python:

========================
"Yorkshireman IV: You were LUCKY! We lived for three months in a

One of my MP faves:

THE PET SHOP

Pd: Good morning, I'd like to buy a cat.
L: Certainly sir. I've got a lovely terrier. [Indicates a case on the
counter]
Pd: No, I want a cat really.
L: [Taking case off counter and then putting it back on counter as if
it is a different case] Oh yeah, how about that?
Pd: [Looking in case] No, that's the terrier.
L: Well, it's as near as, dammit.
Pd: Well what do you mean? I want a cat.
L: Listen, tell you what. I'll file its legs down a bit, take its
snout out, stick a few wires through its cheeks. There you are, a
lovely pussy cat.
Pd: It's not a proper cat.
L: What do you mean?
Pd: Well, it wouldn't meow.
L: Well, it would howl a bit.
Pd: No, no, no, no. Um, have you got a parrot?
L: No, I'm afraid not actually guv, we're fresh out of parrots. I'll
tell you what though...I'll lop its back legs off, make good, strip
the fur, stick a couple of wings on and staple on a beak of your own
choice. [taking small box and rattling it] No problem. Lovely parrot.
Pd: How long would that take?
L: Oh, let me see...er, stripping the fur off, no legs ...
[calling]...Harry...can you do a parrot job on this terrier straight
away?
H: [off-screen] No, I'm still putting a tuck in the airedale, and then
I got the frogs to let out.
L: Friday?
Pd: No I need it for tomorrow. I have a gig.
L: Oh dear, it's a long job. You see parrot conversion ... Tell you
what though, for free, terriers make lovely fish. I mean I could do
that for you straight away. Legs off, fins on, stick a little pipe
through the back of its neck so it can breathe, bit of gold paint,
make good...
Pd: You'd need a very big tank.
L: It's a great conversation piece.
Pd: Yes, all right, all right...but, er, only if I can watch.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Ahernwill

From Monty Python:

========================
"Yorkshireman IV: You were LUCKY! We lived for three months in a
newspaper-lined septic tank! We used to have to get up every morning, at

six
o'clock and clean the newspaper, go to work down the mill, fourteen hours

day, week in, week out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home, our dad
would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

That's what is so irritating about the British aristocracy- always flaunting
their wealth.

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show jim rozen
wrote back on 27 Dec 2004 17:10:37 -0800 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
In article , pyotr filipivich
says...
It is also my misfortune to currently live in a neighborhoods where two
bedroom apartments costs $850 a month.

I don't think there's a single one of those in all of NY state at
this point. You can easily pay the mortgage on an entire house
for what it costs in rent for a two bedroom apartment.

I live in the Seattle area, friends live in Albany Oregon. She's
paying 350 for a two bedroom duplex. "If it wasn't for the commute .."
And so it goes.

Heck, I can remember having to make due with only a black and white
television, no cell phone, and the only phone in the house was a rotary
dial model!

You had a *dial*? We still don't have those here.

Hah. Okay so it was my great grandfather who told the Bell company to
start stringing the wire, he'd have his brother in laws signed up when they
got the phone line to his place.

Ha! I traded the electric typewriter for a manual model. What the
heck, if the power was out, I couldn't use the electric.

Every so often, Dad starts talking about when he was a kid ("There was
only one continent in those days ...")

Anyway, he'll tell the "kids" at the Mission that he still has his
"bat" - and shows them his fist. He used to gripe, that unlike some of the
other kids, his Dad went to work six days a week. (OTOH, Pop was high
enough up that he only needed a half day on Saturday.)

Sheesh, I'm getting to the point where I can remember "the good old
days" and how lousy they really were.

--
pyotr filipivich
The two oldest cliches in the book are "The Good Old Days were