Joe AutoDrill

Default Threaded Rod Expert Out There?

I have a unique challenge at hand. I need to find 1/2 or greater diameter
threaded rod in the following thread pitch combinations:

10
11
12
13
14
16
18
20
24
28
32
40

I'd settle for 3/8 diameter if I had to, but the real question is whether
there is a single diameter rod that is available in all those thread pitch
combinations. Size of the rod is not too important, but a 6" diameter won't
work either.

If I could get 10 out of the 12 in a single diameter rod, that would be
great too... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Grant Erwin

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I have a unique challenge at hand. I need to find 1/2 or greater diameter
threaded rod in the following thread pitch combinations:
10 11 12 13 14 16 18 20 24 28 32 40

I'd settle for 3/8 diameter if I had to, but the real question is whether
there is a single diameter rod that is available in all those thread pitch
combinations. Size of the rod is not too important, but a 6" diameter won't
work either.

If I could get 10 out of the 12 in a single diameter rod, that would be
great too... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My suggestion is to contact the manufacturers, see thomasregister.com .. GWE

Joe AutoDrill

My suggestion is to contact the manufacturers, see thomasregister.com ..
GWE

McMaster is where I started my little search. They have the following
thread pitches in the form of taps for sale in 3/4 diameter:

40
32
28
27
24
20
18
16
13
12
10

To me, that means that someone, somewhere is selling 3/4" bolts, threaded
rod, or studs with those thread pitch combinations... But it's not always
the case, right?

I've found a few, but not all. And then the question is... Why do they
have a tap available if the bolt that goes into the hole doesn't exist?

I might have to go to TR and see who they list... But I'm looking for a
quick, one stop shop for these of course... At McMaster's pricing.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Grant Erwin

To me, that means that someone, somewhere is selling 3/4" bolts, threaded
rod, or studs with those thread pitch combinations...

Nope. That means bolts come in those sizes. Threaded rod is different -- it's
intended for quickly bolting together stuff. It's usually made cheaply and
I doubt of very good steel. Electricians use it a lot to hang brackets down
from suspended ceilings, stuff like that -- why on earth would they want
oddball nonstandard threads? And who would pay to stock them?

My guess is you won't find them anywhere. But the fastest way to end the
agony of looking is to find the manufacturer and call them up. If you find
a store and call them or search their Web site and they don't have it, what
do you know? You only know they don't have it -- you do *not* know it isn't
made. What, are you going to search every Web site on earth? No. Call the
guy who makes them. One phone call and you're done.

GWE
Joe AutoDrill

Nope. That means bolts come in those sizes. Threaded rod is different --
it's
intended for quickly bolting together stuff. It's usually made cheaply and
I doubt of very good steel.

Although that is generally true, it is widely available in steel, steel
alloys including stainless, brass, etc. They come in different finishes
like black oxide, galv., left hand threads, etc.

So... Assuming that it is not available just because most people use it for
quick and dirty applications doesn't seem logical to me in this case.

Electricians use it a lot to hang brackets down
from suspended ceilings, stuff like that -- why on earth would they want
oddball nonstandard threads? And who would pay to stock them?

I was hoping to find that out. All the items I mention above are available
via McMaster.

My guess is you won't find them anywhere. But the fastest way to end the
agony of looking is to find the manufacturer and call them up. If you find
a store and call them or search their Web site and they don't have it,
what
do you know? You only know they don't have it -- you do *not* know it
isn't
made. What, are you going to search every Web site on earth? No. Call the
guy who makes them. One phone call and you're done.

Called a few. They can do it, but only if my cost is high enough or I buy
enough. They are non-standard enough that they have to purchase the die
just for me, etc.

Sugino sells it as part of a lead screw tap unit and I can get it separate
from them, but the format is not really useable for my specific application.

I was hoping that a threaded rod "expert" might have answers - someone in
the threaded rod manufacturing arena who knows a super source, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts though. You are 100% correct in your comments, just
not in this particular situation.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Robin S.

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in
message ...
Called a few. They can do it, but only if my cost is high enough or I buy
enough.

Speaking of quantity...?

Regards,

Robin

Joe AutoDrill

Called a few. They can do it, but only if my cost is high enough or I
buy enough.

Speaking of quantity...?

What I'd like to get would consist of 10-25 6-8" lengths when I'm all
done...

I think I'm going to have some similar product made since I can get it done
in 3/4" or even 1" diameters and have a special tap made for around $60.

I was looking for a cheap, quick way to accomplish the same task with less
time / material than contracting to two different local shops, etc. Plus,
if the materials are readily available cheap, then replacement parts are
too. This way, I have to make 200-500% of what I need just to keep my
customers happy once the device is built around the parts.

Happy weekend to all. I'm outta here!

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:13:42 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
calmly ranted:

My suggestion is to contact the manufacturers, see thomasregister.com ..
GWE

McMaster is where I started my little search. They have the following
thread pitches in the form of taps for sale in 3/4 diameter:

40
32
28
27
24
20
18
16
13
12
10

To me, that means that someone, somewhere is selling 3/4" bolts, threaded
rod, or studs with those thread pitch combinations... But it's not always
the case, right?

Did you also notice that most of the threads went with a certain
diameter? There are several different standards and what you ask
for is nothing standard at all. You won't find a 1/2-40 bolt anywhere,
most likely.

Sure you wouldn't settle for a thread pitch gauge? They're $6 at HFT.
(When you can find them.)

I've found a few, but not all. And then the question is... Why do they
have a tap available if the bolt that goes into the hole doesn't exist?

I might have to go to TR and see who they list... But I'm looking for a
quick, one stop shop for these of course... At McMaster's pricing.

Give www.mscdirect.com and www.use-enco.com a looksee.

Alternatively, head down to the local machine shop and ask any
guy with a toolshop lathe to cut one or more for you. Most metal
lathes can do most of those threads on any diameter rod without any
problem.

-- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

Joe AutoDrill

Did you also notice that most of the threads went with a certain
diameter? There are several different standards and what you ask
for is nothing standard at all. You won't find a 1/2-40 bolt anywhere,
most likely.

I did of course know and notice that... But that's why I'm asking here and
searching. Because there is always something new for me to learn and since
I need an answer to this and wanted an easy source, I figured I'd look.

BTW - MSC has the 1/2-40, 48 and even 56 taps for sale as "specials" so
someone must make a "special" bolt too. I doubt many of us will ever see
one, but someone must be using them somewhere...

Sure you wouldn't settle for a thread pitch gauge? They're $6 at HFT.
(When you can find them.)

I actually need the rod for a project...

Give www.mscdirect.com and www.use-enco.com a looksee.
Alternatively, head down to the local machine shop and ask any
guy with a toolshop lathe to cut one or more for you. Most metal
lathes can do most of those threads on any diameter rod without any
problem.

I'll try use-enco.com and see what they come up with... However, I agree
that the machine shop answer is probably the best solution long term.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Martin H. Eastburn

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Did you also notice that most of the threads went with a certain
diameter? There are several different standards and what you ask
for is nothing standard at all. You won't find a 1/2-40 bolt anywhere,
most likely.

I did of course know and notice that... But that's why I'm asking here and
searching. Because there is always something new for me to learn and since
I need an answer to this and wanted an easy source, I figured I'd look.

BTW - MSC has the 1/2-40, 48 and even 56 taps for sale as "specials" so
someone must make a "special" bolt too. I doubt many of us will ever see
one, but someone must be using them somewhere...

IIRC, I have a pair of 1/2-64 in the shop. Dad needed some different 1/2" types
some years ago. He was trying to match a thread of a bladder type ink pen.

Martin

Sure you wouldn't settle for a thread pitch gauge? They're $6 at HFT.
(When you can find them.)

I actually need the rod for a project...

Give www.mscdirect.com and www.use-enco.com a looksee.
Alternatively, head down to the local machine shop and ask any
guy with a toolshop lathe to cut one or more for you. Most metal
lathes can do most of those threads on any diameter rod without any
problem.

I'll try use-enco.com and see what they come up with... However, I agree
that the machine shop answer is probably the best solution long term.

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Ken Grunke

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
My suggestion is to contact the manufacturers, see thomasregister.com ..
GWE

McMaster is where I started my little search. They have the following
thread pitches in the form of taps for sale in 3/4 diameter:

40
32
28
27
24
20
18
16
13
12
10

To me, that means that someone, somewhere is selling 3/4" bolts, threaded
rod, or studs with those thread pitch combinations... But it's not always
the case, right?

All that tells me is they would/should sell the equivalent DIES for
those sizes, not the bolts, rod or anything else with those threads.

Ken Grunke