Gunner

Default I need a small water pump

I need a small water pump for hooking up a TIG torch. Ive got a big
chiller, but its about 5 gallons a minute and the size of a dorm
refridgerator..

I need a 24VAC or 110 or 220 1ph pump that will push all of 1 gpm at
40+ psi

I was given one of the Lincoln Magnum coolant units that sits on the
top of the welder, but the pump motor is toast and Lincoln wants $280
for a new motor (!)

The pump that is in there now (and missing some pieces) is a ShurFlo
8004-251-227. 24vac, 1.2gph at 75 psi.

This I believe is a diaphram pump with a bypass.

I found Shurflos website and they want about $165 for a similar pump
unit..not in the cards....

Any surplus sources for small pumps like this? Id guess it needs to
have a bypass ?

Thanks

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001
Karl Townsend

"Gunner" wrote in message
news
I need a small water pump for hooking up a TIG torch. Ive got a big
chiller, but its about 5 gallons a minute and the size of a dorm
refridgerator..

I used a diaphram pump from surplus center, cost $30. It needed a relief
valve, which I had. It wasn't rated for continous duty, so I had to install
a relay off the foot control to only run it when the gas comes on. I was
told a better route to go would have been to use a carbonator pump. These
come off any old soda fountain drink machine. If you know somebody that can
scrounge for stuff really really huge big grin you can find one of these
for peanuts.

Now a really cheap way to go is to just hook it up to the garden hose and
send the water to the drain. This would do you unless you're running all day
long at 250 amps.

Karl

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:57:35 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

I need a small water pump for hooking up a TIG torch. Ive got a big
chiller, but its about 5 gallons a minute and the size of a dorm
refridgerator..

I need a 24VAC or 110 or 220 1ph pump that will push all of 1 gpm at
40+ psi

I was given one of the Lincoln Magnum coolant units that sits on the
top of the welder, but the pump motor is toast and Lincoln wants $280
for a new motor (!)

The pump that is in there now (and missing some pieces) is a ShurFlo
8004-251-227. 24vac, 1.2gph at 75 psi.

This I believe is a diaphram pump with a bypass.

I found Shurflos website and they want about $165 for a similar pump
unit..not in the cards....

Any surplus sources for small pumps like this? Id guess it needs to
have a bypass ?

Will a small fountain pump work? What's the temp range of coolant?
Run a large cooling tank and it should work.

I have a new, unused Rio 180 (120gph) submersible which fits in my
palm and is fully adjustable. The smaller output hose should do
1.2gph OK.

Send your address. Consider it a small downpayment on a little mill.

3.4 watts @ 115V. 60Hz
GPH @ lift in Ft. 0'- 120 1'- 85 2'- 45 max lift 2'
dims: 2.25" x 1.5" x 2"
1/2" I.D. Hose, 1/8" port

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Bruce L. Bergman

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:46:12 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:57:35 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

I need a small water pump for hooking up a TIG torch. Ive got a big
chiller, but its about 5 gallons a minute and the size of a dorm
refridgerator..

I need a 24VAC or 110 or 220 1ph pump that will push all of 1 gpm at
40+ psi

Will a small fountain pump work? What's the temp range of coolant?
Run a large cooling tank and it should work.

Not with a maximum 2 foot head, it won't work. The torch needs the
40 PSI to push the water through tiny hoses in the torch cable
(guessing 1/8" or 3/16" ID) and even tinier passages inside the torch
head.

A large centrifugal fountain pump might do it, but when you throttle
down the pump output to get the pressure needed at a low flow, the
impeller will start cavitating. That kills pumps fast...

Really takes some sort of positive displacement pump to do this work
- peristaltic, diaphragm, gear, flexible vane or moving vane.

I have a few orphaned pool chlorinator peristaltic pumps sitting in
the junkpile in the side yard, but they probably don't have the GPM
flow needed, even if cranked up wide open. They're made for
gallons-per-DAY use.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Roy

The typical pond or aquarium pump is not designed to provide pressure
and volume.........they are more orientated towards volume with very
little pressure or head capabiity.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:54:46 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
calmly ranted:

wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:57:35 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

I need a small water pump for hooking up a TIG torch. Ive got a big
chiller, but its about 5 gallons a minute and the size of a dorm
refridgerator..

I need a 24VAC or 110 or 220 1ph pump that will push all of 1 gpm at
40+ psi

Will a small fountain pump work? What's the temp range of coolant?
Run a large cooling tank and it should work.

Not with a maximum 2 foot head, it won't work. The torch needs the
40 PSI to push the water through tiny hoses in the torch cable
(guessing 1/8" or 3/16" ID) and even tinier passages inside the torch
head.

I missed that 40psi stat the first time. C'est la vie.

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

PHIL

Gunner,

This may seem like a shameless plug for me, but here it goes
anyway....

I am the guy that has sold many (about 300+) welding coolers on eBay.
I go by the eBay screen name of "stinkywilly". In fact, there is many
people on this group that have bought coolers from me. You can do a
search most any time on eBay either under my name stinkywilly, or a
search of "welding cooler" or "tig cooler". Currently (and this is
Thanksgiving Day) I have a dutch auction going for 5 coolers at once,
each of them available for only a starting price of $235. I will try
to provide a link he

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

This is a WHOLE cooler assembly. Check it out if you like. Now,
along the lines of looking for just a pump, I suppose I would be the
guy that would have that too! Through my refurb work on these
coolers, I have an extra stash of pumps and motors. They are Procon
carbonator pumps and GE motors that can be hooked up for 115V or 230V
operation. I do offer these also, let me know if interested. I
believe you would like the pricing. I will leave my contact info
below, at my shop. Thanks for considering.

PS-on the belief this is a plug for myself, I guess it is....but it
truly has helped many people on this board and elsewhere, so take it
for what it's worth. Thanks.

Phil Urbanski
ALL ABOUT SERVICE
1310 Lloyd Road
Wickliffe, OH 44092
P: 440-516-0303
F: 440-516-0302
email:
Gunner

On 25 Nov 2004 06:07:53 -0800, (PHIL) wrote:

Gunner,

This may seem like a shameless plug for me, but here it goes
anyway....

I am the guy that has sold many (about 300+) welding coolers on eBay.
I go by the eBay screen name of "stinkywilly". In fact, there is many
people on this group that have bought coolers from me. You can do a
search most any time on eBay either under my name stinkywilly, or a
search of "welding cooler" or "tig cooler". Currently (and this is
Thanksgiving Day) I have a dutch auction going for 5 coolers at once,
each of them available for only a starting price of $235. I will try
to provide a link he

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Ive seen your ads. Very nice looking coolers. And the price is very
good. Unfortunately its more than I can pay. I have less than that
in the complete welder, cables, leads, stinger, ground clamp and new
Weldcraft 20 tig torch.

This is a WHOLE cooler assembly. Check it out if you like. Now,
along the lines of looking for just a pump, I suppose I would be the
guy that would have that too! Through my refurb work on these
coolers, I have an extra stash of pumps and motors. They are Procon
carbonator pumps and GE motors that can be hooked up for 115V or 230V
operation. I do offer these also, let me know if interested. I
believe you would like the pricing. I will leave my contact info
below, at my shop. Thanks for considering.

Ill give you a call on the pumps if my plan B fails. The carbonator
pumps are exactly what I need to do this right, but Im having to try a
make-do in the mean time.

PS-on the belief this is a plug for myself, I guess it is....but it
truly has helped many people on this board and elsewhere, so take it
for what it's worth. Thanks.

Phil Urbanski
ALL ABOUT SERVICE
1310 Lloyd Road
Wickliffe, OH 44092
P: 440-516-0303
F: 440-516-0302
email:

Thats not a shameless plug, thats great information that is most
appropriate for the groups involved.

Thank you very much and Ill give you a call.

Gunner

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes
Leigh Knudson

I have a Jabsco 1/4HP rubber impeller pump you can have for $25.00.
It needs a new impeller but they aren't that expensive. Leigh at
MarMachine

carl mciver

Just sticking my head in here, but how about one of those fountain pumps
you can get at the hardware store? Cheap, meant to run continuously,
although the head (pressure) isn't that much.

"Gunner" wrote in message
news | I need a small water pump for hooking up a TIG torch. Ive got a big
| chiller, but its about 5 gallons a minute and the size of a dorm
| refridgerator..
|
| I need a 24VAC or 110 or 220 1ph pump that will push all of 1 gpm at
| 40+ psi
|
| I was given one of the Lincoln Magnum coolant units that sits on the
| top of the welder, but the pump motor is toast and Lincoln wants $280
| for a new motor (!)
|
| The pump that is in there now (and missing some pieces) is a ShurFlo
| 8004-251-227. 24vac, 1.2gph at 75 psi.
|
| This I believe is a diaphram pump with a bypass.
|
| I found Shurflos website and they want about $165 for a similar pump
| unit..not in the cards....
|
| Any surplus sources for small pumps like this? Id guess it needs to
| have a bypass ?
|
| Thanks
|
| Gunner
|

| "If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
| hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
| around."
|
| "Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
| before demode` (out of fashion).
| -Buddy Jordan 2001

Gunner

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 06:05:44 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

Just sticking my head in here, but how about one of those fountain pumps
you can get at the hardware store? Cheap, meant to run continuously,
although the head (pressure) isn't that much.

Thats the problem, they need at least 40 psi to push enough water down
those skinny hoses and back out again.

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
news | I need a small water pump for hooking up a TIG torch. Ive got a big
| chiller, but its about 5 gallons a minute and the size of a dorm
| refridgerator..
|
| I need a 24VAC or 110 or 220 1ph pump that will push all of 1 gpm at
| 40+ psi
|
| I was given one of the Lincoln Magnum coolant units that sits on the
| top of the welder, but the pump motor is toast and Lincoln wants $280
| for a new motor (!)
|
| The pump that is in there now (and missing some pieces) is a ShurFlo
| 8004-251-227. 24vac, 1.2gph at 75 psi.
|
| This I believe is a diaphram pump with a bypass.
|
| I found Shurflos website and they want about $165 for a similar pump
| unit..not in the cards....
|
| Any surplus sources for small pumps like this? Id guess it needs to
| have a bypass ?
|
| Thanks
|
| Gunner
|

| "If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
| hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
| around."
|
| "Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
| before demode` (out of fashion).
| -Buddy Jordan 2001

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes
quietguy

I needed a small portable pump just to empty drums and ditches etc around the
farm - ended up the best bet was a low cost bilge pump I found in a boating
store - very reliable, available in a range of capacities, and may be available
in the voltage you need.

David

carl mciver wrote:

Just sticking my head in here, but how about one of those fountain pumps
you can get at the hardware store? Cheap, meant to run continuously,
although the head (pressure) isn't that much.

y gun while they're
| around."
|
| "Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
| before demode` (out of fashion).
| -Buddy Jordan 2001

6e70

Harbor freight has small pumps in the $10 to $20 range. My friend has
used them when his grinder coolant pumps go out, for backup. They
work really well. There are several types/flows/pressures. I have
a welding cooler which would solve your problem, but the shipping
would be more that it is worth to you. Good luck.
Paul
PHIL

Gunner,

This is Phil again, with the coolers. I can muster up a used motor
and pump for you for $80 + shipping. I will send them already coupled
together and tested out, at whatever voltage hookup you need. The
motor can be configured for 115V or 230V, whichever you need. I am
pretty sure that after you look around, this price should be pretty
competitive to anything you find. Let me know, I left all of my
contact info on the other post. Thanks.

PHIL
Leigh Knudson

I have a Jabsco 1/4HP rubber impeller pump you can have for $25.00.
It needs a new impeller but they aren't that expensive. Leigh at
MarMachine

Ill check it out this coming week, though I suspect it will be a bit
over kill and I need a pressure regulator. Will an impeller pump go
40+ psi?

OH Yes! This particular design was used on may of the older welding
cooling tanks. Leigh at MarMachine
Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner -

Get a swamp cooler pump. Sits on the bottom and pumps !

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:24:06 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Get a swamp cooler pump. Sits on the bottom and pumps !

Not enough head pressure - needs 40 PSI (This is a recording.)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

Get a swamp cooler pump. Sits on the bottom and pumps !

Not enough head pressure - needs 40 PSI (This is a recording.)

-- Bruce --

OK - that should be easy :

100' bulb looking tower that has more water than Gunner uses in a year,
drives a series of cleaners and then to pressure regulator. Nominal
connection. Big one is the filling from the city and keeping friends
from yelling at his eye-sore :-)

But gets a credit on his yearly taxes due to the emergency fire water source.

:-)

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Gunner

wrote:

Gunner -

Get a swamp cooler pump. Sits on the bottom and pumps !

Based on my experience with them here in the desert..Id have to
estimate head pressure to max out at about 15lbs at most.

I need to push at minimum, 1 gallon a minute down 50' of 1/8" ID hose
and the internal cooling structure of the torch head itself and back
to the recirculation tank. 25' each way in a hose that may well be
subject to the occasional tight bend.

Gunner

Martin

"Gunner" wrote in message
news | I need a small water pump for hooking up a TIG torch. Ive got a big
| chiller, but its about 5 gallons a minute and the size of a dorm
| refridgerator..
|
| I need a 24VAC or 110 or 220 1ph pump that will push all of 1 gpm at
| 40+ psi
|
| I was given one of the Lincoln Magnum coolant units that sits on the
| top of the welder, but the pump motor is toast and Lincoln wants $280
| for a new motor (!)
|
| The pump that is in there now (and missing some pieces) is a ShurFlo
| 8004-251-227. 24vac, 1.2gph at 75 psi.
|
| This I believe is a diaphram pump with a bypass.
|
| I found Shurflos website and they want about $165 for a similar pump
| unit..not in the cards....
|
| Any surplus sources for small pumps like this? Id guess it needs to
| have a bypass ?
|
| Thanks
|
| Gunner
|

| "If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
| hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
| around."
|
| "Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
| before demode` (out of fashion).
| -Buddy Jordan 2001

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes
Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

Gunner -

Get a swamp cooler pump. Sits on the bottom and pumps !

Based on my experience with them here in the desert..Id have to
estimate head pressure to max out at about 15lbs at most.

I need to push at minimum, 1 gallon a minute down 50' of 1/8" ID hose
and the internal cooling structure of the torch head itself and back
to the recirculation tank. 25' each way in a hose that may well be
subject to the occasional tight bend.

Gunner

Wow - a high resistance path. Can you use a 1/4" ID hose or larger -
and thus lower pressure - then neck it down close to the torch ?
The 'impedance' of the line would be over a short area and less head
pressure would be needed - IIRC.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Michael

Martin H. Eastburn wrote in message news:4_Rqd.26703
Wow - a high resistance path. Can you use a 1/4" ID hose or larger -
and thus lower pressure - then neck it down close to the torch ?
The 'impedance' of the line would be over a short area and less head
pressure would be needed - IIRC.

Sure. What we need is a way to combat the awful flames that engulf the
house, right now. What say we take the hose bib, attach a reducer coupling,
and maybe take the ouput and sort of incapsulate the outgoing fluid in some
kind of a tank, or something? Then, when we have enough of a volume, then we
sort of figure out a way to transfer the liquid from our make-shift tank to
the flames, right?

Nope. How about hooking up the damn water hose, turning it on, and spray it
at the base of the flames, and thus saving your house?

Maybe its' just me...............