RWL

Default Crowsfoot wrench

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Norm Dresner

"RWL" wrote in message

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

It's an open-ended wrench you can swing around with a ratchet. Some like
them. some never use them.

Norm

Erik

In article ,
RWL wrote:

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

RWL

The average Joe Blow doesn't have much need for them... but once in a
while, they can really save the day (or a bunch of time anyway) solving
nasty accessibility issues.

$nap On and other company's make all sorts of crows feet... flare nut,
open & box end, 'Torque adapter', automotive oxygen sensor, and other
special application types. ($nap On makes one for adjusting Honda
clutches thats cats ass!)

Funny you should mention them, I used a 10mm flare nut type crows foot
on a long 20" X 3/8" drive extension just last week... first time this
year far as I can remember. I could have done the job without it, but it
saved me a bunch of time and dirt.

Erik

Steve Smith

A specific example: removing camshafts on a Porsche 911 engine. 40 or
maybe 44mm, I found a close enough size from SnapOn in inch. Only time
I've ever bought a SnapOn tool.

Steve

RWL wrote:

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

John Ings

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:44:36 -0400, RWL
wrote:

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

For use on a nut or bolt whose head can't be accessed from the top,
and is located where there isn't room to swing a regular open end
wrench. They are especially necessary if you need to apply a torque
wrench to a hard to get at fastener or hydraulic coupling because
torque wrenches tend to be even longer than a regular wrench.

In the PME lab where I used to work we had to calculate the correction
factor for each item in a crowsfoot set for use with torque wrenches,
since the crowsfoot adds to the effective length of the wrench.

jim rozen

In article , RWL says...

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench?

Occasionally my crow comes apart and I need to
put his foot back on. Those are the best tool
for the job there.

Now, how about Fly Cutters, eh??

Jim

please reply to:
Michelle P

We used the fairly often in Aviation.
Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Roy

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:44:36 -0400, RWL
wrote:

===
===When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
===sets, but have never needed one.
===
===RWL
===
===
===******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Indispensible tool when it comes to working in confined or tight
spaces such as removing cylinder's on some engines, and lots of places
on aircraft, and hydraulics........Even find them handy from time to
time with just general mechanic type stuff.

The open end type is fine, but the open end box are great for use on
tubing nuts etc.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Fred R

jim rozen wrote:

In article , RWL says...

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench?

Occasionally my crow comes apart and I need to
put his foot back on. Those are the best tool
for the job there.

Now, how about Fly Cutters, eh??

Jim

Then I don't even want to think about Ball End Mills
Fred

--
Drop TROU to email

Jeff Wisnia

Fred R wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

In article , RWL says...

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench?

Occasionally my crow comes apart and I need to
put his foot back on. Those are the best tool
for the job there.

Now, how about Fly Cutters, eh??

Jim

Then I don't even want to think about Ball End Mills
Fred

"I'd whack those nuts loose with a ball pein hammer, Tom said strikingly."

(A takeoff of an old "Tom Swifty")

More at:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/tomswifties.doc

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
John Ings

On 12 Sep 2004 07:20:49 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

Now, how about Fly Cutters, eh??

Ever terminate fibre optic cable?
If you can do that, circumcising a gnat is easy!

gfulton

"Roy" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:44:36 -0400, RWL
wrote:

===
===When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of

socket
===sets, but have never needed one.
===
===RWL
===
===
===******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Indispensible tool when it comes to working in confined or tight
spaces such as removing cylinder's on some engines, and lots of places
on aircraft, and hydraulics........Even find them handy from time to
time with just general mechanic type stuff.

The open end type is fine, but the open end box are great for use on
tubing nuts etc.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Right. Cylinder holddown nuts on some radial engines.

Garrett Fulton

Lane

"RWL" wrote in message

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

When I was turning wrenches for a living (12 years) I only remember needing
a Crowsfoot wrench twice. Absolutely nothing else would do.

Lane

SteveB

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

RWL

They can be used to reach some hard to reach recesses. Like the hold down
bolt on a distributor. On the old cars that had distributors, that is.

Steve

desperado

I have sets of sae and metric as well as the flarenut crowfoots but have
only had one occasion in the last 20 years or so I needed one. It was to
work on replacing a lock cylinder on the trunk of an old Ford. The cylinder
was offset from the access hole and the crowfoot did the job.
When buying these crowfoots, look for the ones with the square socket
hole both on top and on the side as this increases the versatility of the
tool. Not all have two socket holes. I tried to use a large crowfoot as a
fan clutch wrench once and the side hole was useful, but I did not have the
right size.

--
don paolino
"gfulton" wrote in message

"Roy" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:44:36 -0400, RWL
wrote:

===
===When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of

socket
===sets, but have never needed one.
===
===RWL
===
===
===******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Indispensible tool when it comes to working in confined or tight
spaces such as removing cylinder's on some engines, and lots of places
on aircraft, and hydraulics........Even find them handy from time to
time with just general mechanic type stuff.

The open end type is fine, but the open end box are great for use on
tubing nuts etc.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Right. Cylinder holddown nuts on some radial engines.

Garrett Fulton

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:14:25 -0700, "Lane"
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com calmly ranted:

"RWL" wrote in message
.. .

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

When I was turning wrenches for a living (12 years) I only remember needing
a Crowsfoot wrench twice. Absolutely nothing else would do.

I used one of my crowsfeet from one of two sets at least once a
week. The twisted cars I worked on at the body shop left me with
bolts/lines at difficult-to-remove angles. I think I originally
bought a set for carb work. Some carburetors were hard to get to
and crowsfoot wrenches gave enough offset to get to the hidden
nuts. They were also handy for distributor holddown bolts in
out-of-the-way places, tight brake bleeder screws, etc. with a
36" long 3/8-drive extension.

I used them enough that I even bought a very pricy Snap-on set.
And I didn't buy very many Snap-On tools. AAMOF, I almost used
one last month on a tight bathroom faucet fitting but got the
long wrench up in there after all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WARNING! WARNING! Dangerous Mailbox Approaching. Evade! Evade!
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Ace

Working with hydraulics, rotary aircraft engines, farm equipment, the
faucets on
your bathroom/kitchen sink, etc.

"Lane" lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote in message
news

"RWL" wrote in message

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

When I was turning wrenches for a living (12 years) I only remember
needing a Crowsfoot wrench twice. Absolutely nothing else would do.

Lane

Jason D.

wrote:

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

asbolutely,

I had to buy 31 canadian bucks for Proto 1" flare nut crowfoot to get
the EGR tube off the carb 2.2L intake manifold while in 1987 caravan.
The firewall is about 3.5" to the back of intake manifold. No room
for anything else but a good crowfoot.

Measuring is tricky but got this around that.
The calipers will not fit because of intake's cavity is tight around
the flare nut. Solution, took stiff thick 1 conductor wire and bent
it in a way I can adjust it with wires parallel. Ajusted it to fit
flare nut and measured the wire spacing with tape. One Inch. Cool.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jpero/manif...oot_intake.jpg

Why? to plane both manifolds intake and exhaust manifolds flanges and
clean those grubby manifolds up, remove O2 plug, replace EGR (on going
search for new EGR). Does EGR valve mopar part 4287417 stikes a bell
or a sour bell to anyone? This is for federal/canadian emissions,
non-feedback carb (weber-holley 5220), 3 speed auto. If this EGR is
wrong one, let me know with correct part number!

Cheers,

Wizard