John Ings

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:44:36 -0400, RWL
wrote:

When would you need a crowsfoot wrench? I see them as part of socket
sets, but have never needed one.

For use on a nut or bolt whose head can't be accessed from the top,
and is located where there isn't room to swing a regular open end
wrench. They are especially necessary if you need to apply a torque
wrench to a hard to get at fastener or hydraulic coupling because
torque wrenches tend to be even longer than a regular wrench.

In the PME lab where I used to work we had to calculate the correction
factor for each item in a crowsfoot set for use with torque wrenches,
since the crowsfoot adds to the effective length of the wrench.