Old January 13th 21, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bayite DC v-A-w meter (Jim Wilkins)

Jim - you have posted about your Bayite DC all-in-1 meter:
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-10...dp/B013PKYILS/

Do you know if it measures true RMS, or does it measure average? My
interest is mainly for full wave rectified AC, it is usually not a clean
1/2-wave sinusoid.

Thanks, Bob

Old January 13th 21, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

Jim - you have posted about your Bayite DC all-in-1 meter:
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-10...dp/B013PKYILS/

Do you know if it measures true RMS, or does it measure average? My
interest is mainly for full wave rectified AC, it is usually not a clean
1/2-wave sinusoid.

Thanks, Bob

--------------------------------------

I don't trust those things to read pure DC accurately or hold their
calibration, and check them against a lab-grade 1.000 milliOhm shunt when it
matters. I think as a rule the maker clearly tells you if a product can read
RMS, otherwise assume it reads Average.

You might look into the UT-61E if you need accurate RMS readings for hobby
use.
https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Digital...06XSYZZBV?th=1

Old January 14th 21, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/13/2021 3:06 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[snip] I think as a rule the maker clearly tells you if a
product can read RMS, otherwise assume it reads Average.

You're right, of course. What maker is going to go to the trouble of
including a desirable feature without mentioning it? They would boast
of it.

That meter is so attractive for its functionrice ratio that I couldn't
help but hope that it was RMS.

Thanks, Bob
Old January 14th 21, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

On 1/13/2021 3:06 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[snip] I think as a rule the maker clearly tells you if a
product can read RMS, otherwise assume it reads Average.

You're right, of course. What maker is going to go to the trouble of
including a desirable feature without mentioning it? They would boast
of it.

That meter is so attractive for its functionrice ratio that I couldn't
help but hope that it was RMS.

Thanks, Bob

--------------------------

I checked the 100A AC version, PZEM-061, against a Kill-A-Watt with a
refrigerator load and it matched the KAW's Watts display, so it reads RMS.
The KAW's VA reading was substantially higher.

I haven't used the 100A DC meter very much because my battery application
really needed a meter that shows + and - current. The 20A version is fine on
pure DC test current until it wanders out of calibration, possibly due to
the dawn and dusk fluctuations of solar panel voltage. On pulsed current in
or out of a PWM or MPPT solar controller none of my meters agree.

The important questions are if a battery is fully charged and how long it
will run my refrigerator, and unlike with Lithiums tracking the charge and
discharge currents doesn't seem to answer that well enough, because other
factors interact. The meters just show if things are or aren't working
right.

The SIN9020S battery fuel gauge I'm testing now is "currently unavailable".

A 1" PVC conduit tee makes a good insulated housing for the 100A shunt.

Old January 14th 21, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

I checked the 100A AC version, PZEM-061, against a Kill-A-Watt with a
refrigerator load and it matched the KAW's Watts display, so it reads RMS.
The KAW's VA reading was substantially higher.

-------------------------

Correction: it reads real power, not necessarily RMS.

Old January 15th 21, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/14/2021 10:56 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I haven't used the 100A DC meter very much because my battery
application really needed a meter that shows + and - current. The 20A
version is fine on pure DC test current until it wanders out of
calibration, possibly due to the dawn and dusk fluctuations of solar
panel voltage. On pulsed current in or out of a PWM or MPPT solar
controller none of my meters agree.

It's winter, there's a pandemic, so you're stuck in the house and what
you need to do is build the meter that does exactly what you need it to
do. Can't be that hard? Just an Arduino and some code ... Bob's your
uncle. BG
Old January 15th 21, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:39:11 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Jim - you have posted about your Bayite DC all-in-1 meter:
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-10...dp/B013PKYILS/

Do you know if it measures true RMS, or does it measure average? My
interest is mainly for full wave rectified AC, it is usually not a clean
1/2-wave sinusoid.

Thanks, Bob

For sure it will be average, but the reading will be jiggered upward
by 11.1% to match RMS on a sine wave.

(11.1% is 2*sqrt(2)/pi)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old January 15th 21, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13/01/2021 20:06, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt"¬* wrote in message ...

Jim - you have posted about your Bayite DC all-in-1 meter:
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-10...dp/B013PKYILS/

Do you know if it measures true RMS, or does it measure average? My
interest is mainly for full wave rectified AC, it is usually not a clean
1/2-wave sinusoid.

Thanks, Bob

--------------------------------------

I don't trust those things to read pure DC accurately or hold their
calibration, and check them against a lab-grade 1.000 milliOhm shunt
when it matters. I think as a rule the maker clearly tells you if a
product can read RMS, otherwise assume it reads Average.

You might look into the UT-61E if you need accurate RMS readings for
hobby use.
https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Digital...06XSYZZBV?th=1

I've got the UT70B one that has RS232 output which has proved useful for
some temperature data logging. I found some code online to unscramble
the data output and incorporated it into some force/torque testing
software I maintained at the time so I could analyse the data, it
already handled RS232 input so just need a handler to decode the data
from a new instrument. Found the receipt in the box and it's now 10
years old and still all good.

Old January 15th 21, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

On 1/14/2021 10:56 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I haven't used the 100A DC meter very much because my battery application
really needed a meter that shows + and - current. The 20A version is fine
on pure DC test current until it wanders out of calibration, possibly due
to the dawn and dusk fluctuations of solar panel voltage. On pulsed
current in or out of a PWM or MPPT solar controller none of my meters
agree.

It's winter, there's a pandemic, so you're stuck in the house and what
you need to do is build the meter that does exactly what you need it to
do. Can't be that hard? Just an Arduino and some code ... Bob's your
uncle. BG

------------------------------
I would need better A/D sensitivity and resolution and NOT one common ground
for what I'm doing. It's working pretty well right now with homebrew
discrete analog power circuits and diode switching 'logic'. Unfortunately I
haven't found inexpensive UL-rated substitutes for the modules I can build,
but not sell.

Old January 15th 21, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message ...

[...]

I've written meter decoder code too, so I could switch off a battery
discharge load at a low voltage threshold. This may be helpful:
https://sigrok.org/

Meters that transmit their display segment patterns are easy to decode with
a Select Case.

Otherwise I use the meters' programs and combine the separate .csv data
files in a spreadsheet by aligning the time stamps.