Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping! Jim Wilkins - New HF Battery Chargers

Probably old news but I see in their latest monthly flier two new
battery chargers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-...ner-63350.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/2815-a...ger-63299.html

They look interesting and I would probably get one if I didn't already
have a similar CTEK Charger. The Maintenance mode isn't explained for
either one. You would have to play with one to find out what it does
while analyzing the output. I looked at all the comments and didn't find
anything there either. They claim to have a reconditioning mode for
desulphating, but how it does this isn't explained...

Currently there is a $39.99 coupon for the larger version #63299. Code
29790926 thru 10-31-2017.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm trying to learn to quickly determine and sometimes improve the
condition of old and second-hand batteries with my home made metered,
adjustable chargers and the HF carbon pile load. A commercial charger
that doesn't display battery voltage and charging current won't help
me.

This partly explains how, using a Harbor Freight manual charger and a
Variac:
https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index...print/true.cfm
"The CONTROL that a VARIAC affords a transformer charger battery
charger makes the most "expensive" so called smart-charger
equalization mode a Marx Brothers farce. So-called smart chargers
cannot hope to accomplish what a human being can with a VARIAC,
battery charger, digital voltmeter and an accurate hydrometer."

"Shore power" is a boating term that means electricity from the grid,
instead of the boat's generator or battery.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:13:36 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
Probably old news but I see in their latest monthly flier two new
battery chargers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-...ner-63350.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/2815-a...ger-63299.html

They look interesting and I would probably get one if I didn't
already
have a similar CTEK Charger. The Maintenance mode isn't explained
for
either one. You would have to play with one to find out what it does
while analyzing the output. I looked at all the comments and didn't
find
anything there either. They claim to have a reconditioning mode for
desulphating, but how it does this isn't explained...

The lovely CPU they refer to is likely a comparatively expensive one
(costing nearly $0.43, ah reckon.) compared to their

I'm trying to learn to quickly determine and sometimes improve the
condition of old and second-hand batteries with my home made metered,
adjustable chargers and the HF carbon pile load. A commercial charger
that doesn't display battery voltage and charging current won't help
me.

The first didn't show current and the second showed current OR
voltage, but not both onscreen. Feh!

This partly explains how, using a Harbor Freight manual charger and a
Variac:
https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index...print/true.cfm
"The CONTROL that a VARIAC affords a transformer charger battery
charger makes the most "expensive" so called smart-charger
equalization mode a Marx Brothers farce. So-called smart chargers
cannot hope to accomplish what a human being can with a VARIAC,
battery charger, digital voltmeter and an accurate hydrometer."

Karl and Harpo? So, do you agree with him? If so, why do you suppose
nobody had put out a good, adaptable, smart type of charger, at any
price? I don't see a whole lot of difference between cheap and
expensive plug-in chargers, and not much adaptability until you get up
into the better solar controller smarts, but I'm just learning the
ropes, too.

"Shore power" is a boating term that means electricity from the grid,
instead of the boat's generator or battery.

Loved the "when burning Chanél No 5 priced gasoline" comment.

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:13:36 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm curious: What do you think of the advice and tutorial info from
this site?

http://batteryuniversity.com/

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:13:36 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
[...]

My guess is that the suitable equipment is sold as "lab power
supplies" to those few of us who have learned how to use them to
properly charge batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/Lab-Power-Sup...node=318022011

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...a_power_supply
This is what a Smart Charger can't do without help from a Smart User:
"Select the charge current according to battery size. For lead acid,
this is between 10 and 30 percent of the rated capacity."
"Once the battery is fully charged and the current has dropped to 3
percent of the rated Ah, the charge is completed."

The spec sheets and application notes for battery controller ICs
explain the problems they try to address.
http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/power-mana...-overview.page
I was mainly concerned with the automatic management of industrial
Lithium batteries.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:13:36 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
[...]

Their explanations are clear and don't conflict with other battery
manufacturers' recommendations. This is the sponsor:
http://www.cadex.com/en

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 15:46:44 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:13:36 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news Probably old news but I see in their latest monthly flier two new
[...]

Good, and thanks. I've been using them as a source for 8 or 10 years,
and I just wanted to be sure I wasn't leading anyone astray.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
[...]

I finally picked up a 0-30v/5a Chi lab supply a few years ago. Love
the current limiting. I haven't yet used it to charge a battery,
though.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...a_power_supply
This is what a Smart Charger can't do without help from a Smart User:
"Select the charge current according to battery size. For lead acid,
this is between 10 and 30 percent of the rated capacity."
"Once the battery is fully charged and the current has dropped to 3
percent of the rated Ah, the charge is completed."

Yes, smart chargers aren't.

The spec sheets and application notes for battery controller ICs
explain the problems they try to address.
http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/power-mana...-overview.page
I was mainly concerned with the automatic management of industrial
Lithium batteries.

Yes, the BMS seems to be much better at 'smarts' for lithiums.
Evidently, though, BMSes aren't all they're said to be.
https://www.fullspectrumpower.com/bl...ithium-battery

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 15:40:18 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I finally picked up a 0-30v/5a Chi lab supply a few years ago. Love
the current limiting. I haven't yet used it to charge a battery,
though.

A lab supply can bring back a power tool Nicad pack that has
discharged too far for its charger to accept, or a Lithium that has
self-discharged below the disconnect voltage. My stock of tabbed
18650s came from cell phone chargers that had done that in storage and
appeared to be dead.

Unless the power supply is specifically rated to charge batteries I'd
put a diode in series to block battery voltage from damaging the
output if it's shut off while connected.
http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/
"In the last three years, we have significantly improved reliabilty
and fault tolerance by adding over-voltage and reverse-voltage
protection to most of the updated models under the new brand of
Volteq."

I bought this to show the battery voltage after the diode drop.
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Voltmete...ct_top?ie=UTF8

It can be powered by the battery it's measuring, or from a surplus
cell phone charger and used as a bench voltmeter.

Yes, smart chargers aren't.

They have brains but not eyes.

The spec sheets and application notes for battery controller ICs
explain the problems they try to address.
http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/power-mana...-overview.page
I was mainly concerned with the automatic management of industrial
Lithium batteries.

Yes, the BMS seems to be much better at 'smarts' for lithiums.
Evidently, though, BMSes aren't all they're said to be.
https://www.fullspectrumpower.com/bl...ithium-battery

That's a marketing and accounting issue, the engineering is cheap and
simple.

-jsw