Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Bayite DC v-A-w meter (Jim Wilkins)

On 13/01/2021 20:06, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt"Â* wrote in message ...

Jim - you have posted about your Bayite DC all-in-1 meter:
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-10...dp/B013PKYILS/

Do you know if it measures true RMS, or does it measure average? My
interest is mainly for full wave rectified AC, it is usually not a clean
1/2-wave sinusoid.

Thanks, Bob

--------------------------------------

I don't trust those things to read pure DC accurately or hold their
calibration, and check them against a lab-grade 1.000 milliOhm shunt
when it matters. I think as a rule the maker clearly tells you if a
product can read RMS, otherwise assume it reads Average.

You might look into the UT-61E if you need accurate RMS readings for
hobby use.
https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Digital...06XSYZZBV?th=1

I've got the UT70B one that has RS232 output which has proved useful for
some temperature data logging. I found some code online to unscramble
the data output and incorporated it into some force/torque testing
software I maintained at the time so I could analyse the data, it
already handled RS232 input so just need a handler to decode the data
from a new instrument. Found the receipt in the box and it's now 10
years old and still all good.