Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Bayite DC v-A-w meter (Jim Wilkins)

On 15/01/2021 19:14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Billington"Â* wrote in message ...

On 13/01/2021 20:06, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt"Â* wrote in message ...

Jim - you have posted about your Bayite DC all-in-1 meter:
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-10...dp/B013PKYILS/

Do you know if it measures true RMS, or does it measure average? My
interest is mainly for full wave rectified AC, it is usually not a clean
1/2-wave sinusoid.

Thanks, Bob

--------------------------------------

I don't trust those things to read pure DC accurately or hold their
calibration, and check them against a lab-grade 1.000 milliOhm shunt
when it matters. I think as a rule the maker clearly tells you if a
product can read RMS, otherwise assume it reads Average.

You might look into the UT-61E if you need accurate RMS readings for
hobby use.
https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Digital...06XSYZZBV?th=1

I've got the UT70B one that has RS232 output which has proved useful for
some temperature data logging. I found some code online to unscramble
the data output and incorporated it into some force/torque testing
software I maintained at the time so I could analyse the data, it
already handled RS232 input so just need a handler to decode the data
from a new instrument. Found the receipt in the box and it's now 10
years old and still all good.

---------------------------------------

I've written meter decoder code too, so I could switch off a battery
discharge load at a low voltage threshold. This may be helpful:
https://sigrok.org/

Meters that transmit their display segment patterns are easy to decode
with a Select Case.

Otherwise I use the meters' programs and combine the separate .csv
data files in a spreadsheet by aligning the time stamps.

OK, I didn't know it was the segment pattern that was output, I just
looked and found some code to decode it and it didn't explain the reason
it was in that format. Maybe I'm spoiled as my Sylac digital DTI has
RS232 output in human readable format.