BW

Default moving bridgeport over soft ground

I finally got moved into my new house and the machines are nestled into the
garage. I have to move the lathe and bridgeport into the cellar. I have a
walk-in door to the basement but the problem is getting the stuff to the
door. There is about 40' of grass to move the stuff over. I moved the
bridgeport head and table on a skid by using rollers under it. It was quite
a job. I am leery of trying to move the base the same way. Any suggestions
on moving the base ? There is not enough room to get a large machine in to
carry it.

Thanks,

Bill W

Karen Story

The usual method is to get a couple of sheets of plywood and lay one
down, roll the machine along it, place the next one down and roll the
machine onto it, trot around and grab the first one and carry it round
front, etc.

Grant

BW wrote:

I finally got moved into my new house and the machines are nestled into the
garage. I have to move the lathe and bridgeport into the cellar. I have a
walk-in door to the basement but the problem is getting the stuff to the
door. There is about 40' of grass to move the stuff over. I moved the
bridgeport head and table on a skid by using rollers under it. It was quite
a job. I am leery of trying to move the base the same way. Any suggestions
on moving the base ? There is not enough room to get a large machine in to
carry it.

Thanks,

Bill W

Jon Elson

Karen Story wrote:

The usual method is to get a couple of sheets of plywood and lay one
down, roll the machine along it, place the next one down and roll the
machine onto it, trot around and grab the first one and carry it round
front, etc.

Right! The only tricky part will be to keep the rollers from dropping down
between the plywood sheets. Having the sheets run at an angle to the
direction
of motion would be a big help. If the ground is really soft, you could
stitch
a 2x4 under each junction, and it would just push into the earth and
allow the
sheets to stay together.

Jon

Nick Hull

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Karen Story wrote:

The usual method is to get a couple of sheets of plywood and lay one
down, roll the machine along it, place the next one down and roll the
machine onto it, trot around and grab the first one and carry it round
front, etc.

Right! The only tricky part will be to keep the rollers from dropping down
between the plywood sheets. Having the sheets run at an angle to the
direction
of motion would be a big help. If the ground is really soft, you could
stitch
a 2x4 under each junction, and it would just push into the earth and
allow the
sheets to stay together.

Jon

With the 2x4 you could nail the sheets so there would be no gap to drop
a roller in.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
SMuel10363

The usual method is to get a couple of sheets of plywood and lay one

With the 2x4 you could nail the sheets so there would be no gap to drop
a roller in.

You would have a hard time moving the sheet woun"t you.Why not just put the 2nd
sheet under the 1st one ? Ray

Peter Wiley

"BW" wrote in message ...
I finally got moved into my new house and the machines are nestled into the
garage. I have to move the lathe and bridgeport into the cellar. I have a
walk-in door to the basement but the problem is getting the stuff to the
door. There is about 40' of grass to move the stuff over. I moved the
bridgeport head and table on a skid by using rollers under it. It was quite
a job. I am leery of trying to move the base the same way. Any suggestions
on moving the base ? There is not enough room to get a large machine in to
carry it.

2 lengths of angle iron with the v upwards, supported if needed
(depends on how big the angle iron is, how soft the ground is) with
scrap timber crossties. Then you can either lube the rails & bar the
base along, or use rollers as per flat ground. Done this myself, it
works quite well.

Assumes the ground is reasonably flat/level of course.

PDW
Gunner

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:59:08 -0400, "BW"
wrote:

I finally got moved into my new house and the machines are nestled into the
garage. I have to move the lathe and bridgeport into the cellar. I have a
walk-in door to the basement but the problem is getting the stuff to the
door. There is about 40' of grass to move the stuff over. I moved the
bridgeport head and table on a skid by using rollers under it. It was quite
a job. I am leery of trying to move the base the same way. Any suggestions
on moving the base ? There is not enough room to get a large machine in to
carry it.

Thanks,

Bill W

Two sheets of 3/4" plywood. Lay the far one under the one the mill is
on. Push to the new sheet, remove the old one, pry up the far end,
stick the new sheet under the one the mill is on, move to this sheet
and repeat. Takes more time to explain than to do.

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann
Sunworshipper

wrote:

[...]

If I can't come up with three sheets I look to zenith.

The plywood prices are terrible . I use to get large counter tops from
dumpster diving. Their particle board , but 3/4 and laminated on the
other side. After 911 everyone seemed to stop making major screw ups.
I'm sure NAFTA didn't help.
John Chase

Jon Elson wrote:

Karen Story wrote:

The usual method is to get a couple of sheets of plywood and lay one
down, roll the machine along it, place the next one down and roll the
machine onto it, trot around and grab the first one and carry it round
front, etc.

Right! The only tricky part will be to keep the rollers from dropping down
between the plywood sheets. Having the sheets run at an angle to the direction
of motion would be a big help. If the ground is really soft, you could stitch
a 2x4 under each junction, and it would just push into the earth and allow the
sheets to stay together.

Just "underlap" the ends of the plywood.

-jc-

RainLover

Where are you located? I've got this new knuckle-boom I'm itchin' to
try out and my wife says I can't lift her car up with it!

james, Port Orchard (seattle), Washington, USA, Earth

wrote:

[...]

BW

Sorry, I am in Massachusetts.

The plywood sounds good. I've got the base on a new skid that I built and
I'll get the plywood today and give it a go.

Thanks,

BW

wrote:

[...]

Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 04:51:40 -0700, RainLover
wrote:

Where are you located? I've got this new knuckle-boom I'm itchin' to
try out and my wife says I can't lift her car up with it!

Is that Can't (as in 'NO, and that's FINAL!'), or Can't (as in 'You
don't have the proper straps, rigging and spreader bars yet, you might
scratch the paint Honey Dear...')?

If it was the second answer, does she have a single sister? ;-P

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Doug Smith

RainLover wrote:
Where are you located? I've got this new knuckle-boom I'm itchin' to
try out and my wife says I can't lift her car up with it!

Come on over to Issaquah! I'm moving in about a month and I've got a
lathe that prolly weighs more than your wife's car that needs to be
stuffed into a truck or something..

Oh, and here's the secret phrase you must learn in dealing with your
wife on these matters: "Hey, what can go wrong?!"

Sometimes, this is followed shortly thereafter with another magical,
secret phrase: "Hey, who knew?!" ;-)
--
Doug
http://www.des.indianchief.com/index.htm
Gunner

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:13:15 GMT, Doug Smith
wrote:

RainLover wrote:
Where are you located? I've got this new knuckle-boom I'm itchin' to
try out and my wife says I can't lift her car up with it!

Come on over to Issaquah! I'm moving in about a month and I've got a
lathe that prolly weighs more than your wife's car that needs to be
stuffed into a truck or something..

Oh, and here's the secret phrase you must learn in dealing with your
wife on these matters: "Hey, what can go wrong?!"

Sometimes, this is followed shortly thereafter with another magical,
secret phrase: "Hey, who knew?!" ;-)

"hey, hold my beer and watch this!"

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann

Doug Smith

Gunner wrote:

"hey, hold my beer and watch this!"

NO! Never give up yer beer! Nothing good can come of this. I once
fell down an entire flight of stairs without spilling a drop. Got a
standing ovation from an admiring crowd for that one..

Of course, I was considerably younger then. Now, I'd probably get all
banged up and stuff. Still wouldn't spill any beer tho..

They can take my beer when they can peel my cold dead fingers from
around the can. ;-)
--
Doug
http://www.des.indianchief.com/index.htm
RainLover

wrote:

RainLover wrote:
Where are you located? I've got this new knuckle-boom I'm itchin' to
try out and my wife says I can't lift her car up with it!

Come on over to Issaquah! I'm moving in about a month and I've got a
lathe that prolly weighs more than your wife's car that needs to be
stuffed into a truck or something..

Oh, and here's the secret phrase you must learn in dealing with your
wife on these matters: "Hey, what can go wrong?!"

Sometimes, this is followed shortly thereafter with another magical,
secret phrase: "Hey, who knew?!" ;-)

Don't tell me, you Consider the Red Green show to be a Religion? LOL

I'd move it, but you'd have to pay for gas and ferry to get me there
and back! What's your guess on its weight?

James, Port Orchard.

Doug Smith

RainLover wrote:
...snippage...
Don't tell me, you Consider the Red Green show to be a Religion? LOL

Heh.. I have seen that show a few times and it has always made me laugh
out loud.

...snippage...
I'd move it, but you'd have to pay for gas and ferry to get me there
and back! What's your guess on its weight?

Oh, I'd gladly pay more than that. I'm looking at a 24' truck with lift
gate -- gotta see how much that lift gate can lift. If not enough (and
I expect it won't be) I might just take you up on that!

Weight is 3,000 lbs for the lathe. The other tools are all sub-1000
pounders and, hence, no problem even for the lift gate thang.

Jeez, I kinda dread this move. What an ordeal. But the end result will
be worth it..
--
Doug
http://www.des.indianchief.com/index.htm
RainLover

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 06:29:27 GMT, Doug Smith
wrote:

RainLover wrote:
...snippage...
Don't tell me, you Consider the Red Green show to be a Religion? LOL

Heh.. I have seen that show a few times and it has always made me laugh
out loud.

...snippage...
I'd move it, but you'd have to pay for gas and ferry to get me there
and back! What's your guess on its weight?

Oh, I'd gladly pay more than that. I'm looking at a 24' truck with lift
gate -- gotta see how much that lift gate can lift. If not enough (and
I expect it won't be) I might just take you up on that!

Weight is 3,000 lbs for the lathe. The other tools are all sub-1000
pounders and, hence, no problem even for the lift gate thang.

Jeez, I kinda dread this move. What an ordeal. But the end result will
be worth it..

Well, I usually charge $50/hour for me and the truck (plus ferry but
fuel is included) I can lift 7,000 lbs up close and I'm not sure what
the knuckle boom can lift 20' out, but if I can get close enough to
your equipment I should be able to pick and set it on a truck
easily... if you're not moving too far, we could strap them all to my
truck and make moving IN at the new place a breeze....

Think of it as being a patron of the arts since I'm just trying to
help pay for the truck that moves my sculpture around...

James, Port Orchard

Richard

plywood as above plus

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...777302&ccitem=

RainLover

Hey Doug... I got your email but " seems to be
invalid... if you send me another email, try a REAL address. :-)

James, Port Orchard.

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 06:29:27 GMT, Doug Smith
wrote:

RainLover wrote:
...snippage...
Don't tell me, you Consider the Red Green show to be a Religion? LOL

Heh.. I have seen that show a few times and it has always made me laugh
out loud.

...snippage...
I'd move it, but you'd have to pay for gas and ferry to get me there
and back! What's your guess on its weight?

Oh, I'd gladly pay more than that. I'm looking at a 24' truck with lift
gate -- gotta see how much that lift gate can lift. If not enough (and
I expect it won't be) I might just take you up on that!

Weight is 3,000 lbs for the lathe. The other tools are all sub-1000
pounders and, hence, no problem even for the lift gate thang.

Jeez, I kinda dread this move. What an ordeal. But the end result will
be worth it..

Karen Story

I know .. he did that to me lately recently too. Not even a link on his
Web page .. dude does NOT like spam, can't blame him.

Me, I handle putting email addy's out on the Web thusly:
http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html

I still get spam, though.

Grant

RainLover wrote:

Hey Doug... I got your email but " seems to be
invalid... if you send me another email, try a REAL address. :-)

James, Port Orchard.

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 06:29:27 GMT, Doug Smith
wrote:

RainLover wrote:

...snippage...
Don't tell me, you Consider the Red Green show to be a Religion? LOL

Heh.. I have seen that show a few times and it has always made me laugh
out loud.

...snippage...
I'd move it, but you'd have to pay for gas and ferry to get me there
and back! What's your guess on its weight?

Oh, I'd gladly pay more than that. I'm looking at a 24' truck with lift
gate -- gotta see how much that lift gate can lift. If not enough (and
I expect it won't be) I might just take you up on that!

Weight is 3,000 lbs for the lathe. The other tools are all sub-1000
pounders and, hence, no problem even for the lift gate thang.

Jeez, I kinda dread this move. What an ordeal. But the end result will
be worth it..

Doug Smith

Karen Story wrote:
I know .. he did that to me lately recently too. Not even a link on his
Web page .. dude does NOT like spam, can't blame him.

Sorry about that, Gentlemen. I've sent y'all properly formatted email
that you can respond to if you like.

And, you're right -- I *hate* spam. Not sure why, really. One of them
idiosynchronous things I guess. ;-)
--
Doug
http://www.des.indianchief.com/index.htm
Lewis Hartswick

Karen Story wrote:

I know .. he did that to me lately recently too. Not even a link on his
Web page .. dude does NOT like spam, can't blame him.

Me, I handle putting email addy's out on the Web thusly:
http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html

I still get spam, though.

Grant

That idea looks good but I can't read all the letters in front of
the @ . Needs to be a little biger or better resolution.
...lew... ( not afraid of the big bad spam)
BW

Thanks for the ideas. What I finally used was 2x4 tracks. Rather than spend
the money for 3/4 ply, I made 2 sets of tracks out of old 2x4's that I had
left over from a framing project. I then used 2" steel pipes under the base
and moved the spare track as the base moved onto the next track. Other than
having to pay close attention
to keeping it centered, it worked great and the cost was minimal.