Old November 22nd 19, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cyclones

Ten years ago I did a lot of looking at designs for cyclones,but never built one. But recently wanted to make a dust collecter for a sand blaster in the shop that I do little things for.

Anyway found that one can buy the cyclone bit on AliExpress or Ebay in a bunch of sizes. One suitable for use with a shop vac runs about $18. Took a long time to get here, but works well. Made of plastic so will not last forever, but still worth while.

Dan

Old November 24th 19, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
On 11/22/2019 6:53 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 23/11/19 12:23 pm, wrote:
On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 4:31:40 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 11/21/2019 5:13 PM,
wrote:
Anyway found that one can buy the cyclone bit on AliExpress or
Ebay
Mind posting a link. I recently unplugged the heavy duty hose on my

... Been thinking about making Thein seperator, but... well... time.

No problem. The one I bought was $ 18.01 from Magicalcarworldstore.
If anyone knows how to post a URL directly , please post it.

I always filter by "Orders" because often the lowest price is a store

that has not a single sale of this product, or has a visibly inferior
version that people don't choose, or some other reason to avoid them.

Always cut off the URL at the ? for AliExpress.

Here are a couple of links, slightly different products:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32942971357.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32833255347.html

Clifford Heath.

Found a few on Fleabay with "US STOCK" for a few dollars more and free
shipping. I went ahead and ordered two different ones to play with. If I
can use something like a 45 gallon Brute trash can or even a 55 gallon
barrel that would be great. If they don't work that well they still didn't
cost much.

You have probably already had a look on youtube but if not there are a bunch
of construction videos on how to put together a dust collector with various
shop vacs or bigger blowers, with homemade cyclones or the commercial ones.
If you want a small, portable unit you could adapt this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KQ_p8IDAg, or the one he based his on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBuRjO54NM. They used 5 gallon buckets to
hold the dust/wood shavings, not 45 gallon, but I think they are pretty
clever and simple to build so you might get a useful idea or two.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Old November 24th 19, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I had planned on building a thein separator for a barrel for a long
time. I even started once, but I'm just so darn busy in the shop these
days I never seem to get back to it. If the $20 (+/-) import cyclones
can be mounted on a barrel lid or improvised barrel lid and work for
half a year before the chips eat them up I'd be good with that.

Five gallon bucket. HA. One day on the Tormach or the Hurco doing even
moderately heavy material removal can fill a five gallon bucket.
Sometimes nearly two. I have had to stop mid day a few times just to
clean out the machines so the coolant will flow back to the tank. LOL.

Old November 25th 19, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

It was always fun to see our head machinist climbing into a 60x30 Fadal with
a snow shovel and standing on the table so he could fill up a couple of 45
gallon garbage cans with white snow - the chips and strings of white acetal
from a recurring job we did that ran for a couple of days every few months.

I think you have discussed how small your shop is, so I was thinking you
could stack the shop vac and the cyclone collection barrel to save room,
just reverse the youtube example and put the barrel at the bottom, sitting
on a base with casters for mobility, then use legs from that base to a shelf
to hold the shop vac above the cyclone mounted on the barrel lid. Use 2"
PVC pipe for the legs, screw down four caps to the top of the base and the
bottom of the shelf as in the video so the legs stay attached to the bottom
of the shelf and pull out of the base for easy disassembly, then make a
pocket with walls or some pegs for the shop vac to sit down into on top of
the shelf so it lifts out easily but can't roll off. To empty lift off shop
vac then the shelf with legs, roll barrel to dumpster or recycling container
and empty. Anyway, just some ideas for you.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Old November 25th 19, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

A funny thing about cyclones is the separation efficiency is dependent
on the velocity of the fluid and the diameter. They don't scale.
Bigger isn't better. I was surprised as a young researcher in
Magnesium to see the Dorr hydroclones. We processed about 80,000 gpm
seawater with about 1200 ppm Mg, the mag hydrate was initially settled
in ponds with huge rakes, then the slurry was pumped from the center
of the ponds to the hydroclone house where hundreds of very small
cyclones were manifolded together. The further concentrated mag
hydrate came off the bottom, clears from the center. Each cyclone
wasn't over 2-3" in diameter. Mag hydrate is a very tiny particle, so
it took a lot of force to separate it from the seawater.

Of course aluminum chips in air are going to come out orders of
magnitude easier, so it probably won't be an issue at any size you can
use. You've handled a 45 gal can half full of Al swarf? Not too
heavy? Anyway, hope it works well.

Pete Keillor
Old November 25th 19, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/25/2019 5:08 AM, Pete Keillor wrote:
Of course aluminum chips in air are going to come out orders of
magnitude easier, so it probably won't be an issue at any size you can
use. You've handled a 45 gal can half full of Al swarf? Not too
heavy? Anyway, hope it works well.

Pete Keillor

Half full (no liquid) I can just barely lift it to the dumpster. 3/4
full and I use the tractor and fish the barrel out afterwards.

ClearView Cyclones Bites the dust Pat Barber[_3_] Woodworking 0 May 6th 10 01:07 AM
JDS Cyclones TH Woodworking 1 January 28th 08 12:40 AM
How important are small leaks in cyclones? Toller Woodworking 4 August 8th 07 02:31 AM
JDS Cyclones anyone? Toller Woodworking 13 February 22nd 07 09:21 PM
Clear View Cyclones - Dust Collection Big John Woodworking 13 December 9th 04 08:48 PM