Big John

Default Clear View Cyclones - Dust Collection

Recently I have been doing a bunch of research on dust collection and
wanted to find the very best I could. I own a 3hp Jet DC1900
collector with 30 micron bags. My 20 year old son has Cystic
Fibrosis, primarily a terminal pulmonary disease and due to his major
in architecture needs to use my shop to build his models and projects.
30 micron will not cut it. I need to be at 0.5 micron or better for
him.

As part of the research, I came across:

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/

http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Because the person (Ed Morgano) making the ClearVueCyclones lived
close to my parents in SC which I was visiting from Chicago over
TGiving I decided to pay him a visit. Ed is a really nice guy and
cares alot about the precision and quality of what he is making. I
got to see his clear cyclone in action. He had it connected to a 0.5
micron cartridge filter. When I put my nose up to the cartridge
filter I could not even smell wood dust.

Additionally this cyclone is designed after a design by Bill P.
(above). It transitions from round to square prior to the dust
collector and then enter the cyclone tangential at about 15 degrees
off horizontally and pointing downward which matches the swirl in the
collector. Since he is using clear material for the collector and
exit from the top mounted blower you can see (or not see) the dust in
the air exiting the cyclone. I could not see anything exiting the
cyclone.

Ed M. which owns clearvuecyclones.com is running basically a 2 man
shop building these.

I am also a registered mechanical engineer about 5 years out from
retirement. I feel this is the best system money can buy and if you
read Bill P.'s (also engineer) site you will see he has done a
tremendous amount of trial and error testing to come up with his data.

I have now ordered the clear cyclone, 170 feet of 6" S&D PVC, and a
bunch of wyes, 45's, and 90's and will be connecting Unisaw, DJ20,
Delta Stationary 15" Planer, 12" Dewalt compound, Delta Var. Lathe,
Delta 14" Bandsaw, Powermatic Shaper, Mortiser, Delta Jigsaw, Delta
12x48 sander, downdraft table, Powermatic Oscil. Sander, 3hpPC router
table.

I will be removing the motor and blower from my DC1900 and mounting on
the cyclone.

I just hope I don't die, get layed off, or get transferred since this
dust collection system will be quite a bit of work and it will be the
first time my shop will be fully integrated together.

This is my Christmas Present.

Check out the ClearVueCyclones, it might be your Christmas Present
too.

John
Wilson Lamb

Well, you'll also need a good filter or two for the stuff the DC doesn't
get.
For extreme DC efficiency, exhaust to the outside...no filters needed, just
a box to catch the sawdust. You lose some heat/cooling, but there are no
particles coming through!
Wilson
"Big John" wrote in message
[...]

Tom Veatch

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:04:12 GMT, Big John wrote:

I have now ordered the clear cyclone, 170 feet of 6" S&D PVC, and a
bunch of wyes, 45's, and 90's

I bought all my 6" S&D fitting from the local Locke Supply. The only 1/4 bends
(90 deg.) available from them were very tight - almost square corners - and
unusable for DC ducting. I wound up using two 1/8 bends (45 deg) and a short
length of pipe to make my 90's. If you found sweeps or large radius 1/4 bends,
you might post the name/location/url of the supplier.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA
mac davis

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:04:12 GMT, Big John
wrote:
pardon the top post.. you sort of wrote a novel there..

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the purpose of the cyclone is to
separate the larger particles, like sawdust and wood scraps..
your DC filter bags are your main filters, usually followed by an air
filtration system..

[...]

Steve Knight

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:01:20 GMT, "Wilson Lamb" wrote:

Well, you'll also need a good filter or two for the stuff the DC doesn't
get.
For extreme DC efficiency, exhaust to the outside...no filters needed, just
a box to catch the sawdust. You lose some heat/cooling, but there are no
particles coming through!
Wilson

if you design the layout right and work on the machines and do the modifications
you don't need a dust fan to blow the dust around. my setup catches almost all
of the dust. the only two tools I batter is my edge sander and the jet belt
sander. I have catchers on each end of the edge sander and still sometimes
sawdust gets past. but I use very fine sawdust making tropicals and they are far
worse then American woods.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight

Because the person (Ed Morgano) making the ClearVueCyclones lived
close to my parents in SC which I was visiting from Chicago over
TGiving I decided to pay him a visit. Ed is a really nice guy and
cares alot about the precision and quality of what he is making. I
got to see his clear cyclone in action. He had it connected to a 0.5
micron cartridge filter. When I put my nose up to the cartridge
filter I could not even smell wood dust.

I have one Bill made himself. it works very well even with my poor pipe layout (
I changed from a really close to the machine dc to the cyclone a ways away) and
I could not afford to redu all of the lines. the hardest part is fixing the
machines so you get good pickup. most of my tools needed two hoses to really
good pickup.
but you can smell the sawdust by mine (G) padouk and bloodwood make the air
smell like they do no matter what. my clear hoses are all stained from them.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

I did like likewise, but was able to ask for a larger radius 90.
Those babies are expensive. Your dual 45 will be much less, but I
have a situation that really needs the 90, so I am planning to use it.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 05:46:49 GMT, Tom Veatch
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:04:12 GMT, Big John wrote:

I have now ordered the clear cyclone, 170 feet of 6" S&D PVC, and a
bunch of wyes, 45's, and 90's

I bought all my 6" S&D fitting from the local Locke Supply. The only 1/4 bends
(90 deg.) available from them were very tight - almost square corners - and
unusable for DC ducting. I wound up using two 1/8 bends (45 deg) and a short
length of pipe to make my 90's. If you found sweeps or large radius 1/4 bends,
you might post the name/location/url of the supplier.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA

Steve Knight

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the purpose of the cyclone is to
separate the larger particles, like sawdust and wood scraps..
your DC filter bags are your main filters, usually followed by an air
filtration system..

a good cyclone will separate almost everything out. all but the finest sawdust.
when I clean my filters I get this extremely fine sawdust that will float for a
very long time in the air. but that's all I get. I would get little of that if I
did not work some pretty bad tropicals.
if you need a air cleaner afterwards you have a poor setup. you want to catch
the sawdust before it gets in the air not afterwards.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Big John

I will be using 2 ea., 300sqft, 0.5 micron cartridges for filtering
and will return the air to the shop.

I cannot afford to exhaust to the outside here in Chicago and do not
want my furnace and ho****er heater exhaust being sucked into the wood
shop.

wrote:

Well, you'll also need a good filter or two for the stuff the DC doesn't
get.
For extreme DC efficiency, exhaust to the outside...no filters needed, just
a box to catch the sawdust. You lose some heat/cooling, but there are no
particles coming through!
Wilson
"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Big John

I got the same tight bends you have.

I am going to experiment with heating and bending. This will need to
be done outside due to the release of dioxins when PVC is heated
significantly.

wrote:

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:04:12 GMT, Big John wrote:

I have now ordered the clear cyclone, 170 feet of 6" S&D PVC, and a
bunch of wyes, 45's, and 90's

I bought all my 6" S&D fitting from the local Locke Supply. The only 1/4 bends
(90 deg.) available from them were very tight - almost square corners - and
unusable for DC ducting. I wound up using two 1/8 bends (45 deg) and a short
length of pipe to make my 90's. If you found sweeps or large radius 1/4 bends,
you might post the name/location/url of the supplier.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA

Steve Knight

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:46:50 GMT, Big John wrote:

I will be using 2 ea., 300sqft, 0.5 micron cartridges for filtering
and will return the air to the shop.

this is what I have and they work very well. though you should be able to go
longer between cleaning then I can.

I cannot afford to exhaust to the outside here in Chicago and do not
want my furnace and ho****er heater exhaust being sucked into the wood
shop.

it would be nice to be able to though. I could if I could get a vent to the
outside. I am in a underground parking lot and I can't get to the outside.
but if you can put in hose from the filter outlet to the outside with a cap you
can blow out the filter with the dc running and get rid of the fine stuff
easily. I have to use a air hose and let the fine stuff catch in a endcap. takes
about 8 times to get most of the sawdust. if I could run the dc it would just
blow right out and not have any get in the shop.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:51:56 GMT, Big John wrote:

Bill P. shows how to bend PVC. My inlet to the cyclone will come up
through the floor and then need to make a 115 degree turn to enter the
cyclone at the correct angle. I plan to try and make this special
bend by heating and bending outside of the house and use a 24" radius.

though a bit spendy get some smooth wall 6" hose. it works petty well and you
don't loose much flow.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Charles Spitzer

"Big John" wrote in message
I got the same tight bends you have.

I am going to experiment with heating and bending. This will need to
be done outside due to the release of dioxins when PVC is heated
significantly.

fill it with sand to prevent collapsing it when bending