Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How important are small leaks in cyclones?

I have a new Oneida Portable. There are a few small leaks where the bottom
of the cyclone is attached to the dust drum. I have heard that a perfect
seal there is important, so I am concerned. These are not big; they show up
as small dust deposits left by escaping air. I don't know how perfect is
necessary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It went together pretty easy. There was a gap between two parts; and when I
tried to close it by tightening the bolts, a bolt that was welded in broke.
It doesn't seem to leak despite that (plenty of caulk...) and Oneida says it
should be fine. I think/hope they are right. It went together pretty easy
otherwise; instructions are a bit vague on how to install the filters, but
it is easy enough to figure out.

It seems to be slightly more powerful than my old 2hp DC. (unless you add a
trashcan separator to the old DC, in which case the portable is about twice
as powerful)
I haven't used it much, but did do some sanding with a oscillating belt
sander. The filters seemed to be pretty clean afterwards. My main reason
for upgrading was that most of the dust would have ended up on the filters
on the old DC. The cyclones are awfully small, but they seem to work.
It is also a bit quieter than the old one.

I would have gone with a normal cyclone, but my ceiling to pretty low and
don't have much room in the shop.
My second choice, the 2HP JDS takes up more room, but is cheaper. I mainly
settled on the Portable because of the difference between Oneida and JDS's
reputations.

"Toller" wrote in message
I have a new Oneida Portable. There are a few small leaks where the
bottom of the cyclone is attached to the dust drum. I have heard that a
perfect seal there is important, so I am concerned. These are not big;
they show up as small dust deposits left by escaping air. I don't know
how perfect is necessary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 18:46:39 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I have a new Oneida Portable. There are a few small leaks where the bottom
of the cyclone is attached to the dust drum. I have heard that a perfect
seal there is important, so I am concerned. These are not big; they show up
as small dust deposits left by escaping air. I don't know how perfect is
necessary.

If these leaks are sealed, you'll have a better, more efficient DC. It
is also a good idea to test for leaks yearly, or as part of a DC tune
up. It's bad enough to have leaks in blast gates, connections,
adapters, etc. Consider using window/door weatherstripping--the foam
self-stick kind might work well for you..