Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JDS Cyclones anyone?

I have a headroom problem, and JDS is about all that will fit.
Has anyone used one? They claim to have a different impeller design that
gives better suction at higher static pressures; if true, that is good since
I will be using it with a 4" hose. Sadly I just don't have the room for
permanent installations; all my tools are mobil.

The JDS salesman says that the 3hp would be overkill; for one tool I would
get all the suction I could use from the 2hp. But I don't want to buy a
small machine and have to upgrade latter on; that is just false economy. I
have done that a few times in the past (okay, many times...) and regretted
it. Plus, it seems to me that a 3hp has to perform better than a 2hp on
something open like a CMS. Any thoughts on this issue?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:00:58 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I have a headroom problem, and JDS is about all that will fit.
Has anyone used one? They claim to have a different impeller design that
gives better suction at higher static pressures; if true, that is good since
I will be using it with a 4" hose. Sadly I just don't have the room for
permanent installations; all my tools are mobil.

clearvuecyclones has a low ceiling model, but I don't think you want
to hook that 5 hp leeson motor up to a 4" hose.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sadly I just don't have the room for
permanent installations; all my tools are mobil.

Oneida has a short, mobile version:
http://www.oneida-air.com/products/s...e/portable.htm
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sadly I just don't have the room for
permanent installations; all my tools are mobil.

Oneida has a short, mobile version:
http://www.oneida-air.com/products/s...e/portable.htm
Andy

It it had been on their recent sale I would have been tempted, but it is a
lot of money for a small machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

On Feb 21, 1:00 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have a headroom problem, and JDS is about all that will fit.
Has anyone used one?

How much headroom do you have? I have a Clear Vue one that I put
between the joists in the basement ceiling (modified the bracket
plans).. I suppose you could also use a shorter collection bin.

BTW, the clear vue footprint is only about 2' X 3'. That's not too
bad.

If you want to avoid upgrading later on, I think you are going to have
to give up on a mobile cyclone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 21, 1:00 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have a headroom problem, and JDS is about all that will fit.
Has anyone used one?

How much headroom do you have? I have a Clear Vue one that I put
between the joists in the basement ceiling (modified the bracket
plans).. I suppose you could also use a shorter collection bin.

BTW, the clear vue footprint is only about 2' X 3'. That's not too
bad.

If you want to avoid upgrading later on, I think you are going to have
to give up on a mobile cyclone.

No, it is the tools that are mobil. My DC is fixed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
TH TH is offline

It appears that the Oneida Portable is on sale now - about $275 off. Haven't
heard from anyone with one, although Oneida seems to have a good reputation
with their other collectors.

"Toller" wrote in message

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 21, 1:00 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have a headroom problem, and JDS is about all that will fit.
Has anyone used one?

How much headroom do you have? I have a Clear Vue one that I put
between the joists in the basement ceiling (modified the bracket
plans).. I suppose you could also use a shorter collection bin.

BTW, the clear vue footprint is only about 2' X 3'. That's not too
bad.

If you want to avoid upgrading later on, I think you are going to have
to give up on a mobile cyclone.

No, it is the tools that are mobil. My DC is fixed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would probably buy one if it were $275 off, but I just went to Oneida's
website and they don't show the discount.
Do you have some good information on the discount? $1500 is just too much;
I can get the 3hp JDS for that.

"TH" wrote in message
ink.net...
It appears that the Oneida Portable is on sale now - about $275 off.
Haven't heard from anyone with one, although Oneida seems to have a good
reputation with their other collectors.

"Toller" wrote in message

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 21, 1:00 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have a headroom problem, and JDS is about all that will fit.
Has anyone used one?

How much headroom do you have? I have a Clear Vue one that I put
between the joists in the basement ceiling (modified the bracket
plans).. I suppose you could also use a shorter collection bin.

BTW, the clear vue footprint is only about 2' X 3'. That's not too
bad.

If you want to avoid upgrading later on, I think you are going to have
to give up on a mobile cyclone.

No, it is the tools that are mobil. My DC is fixed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
TH TH is offline

Call or talk to a salesperson. I emailed a request for a quote last night
and got the reply this morning. $278 limited time winter discount.

I'm pretty close to Syracuse and was thinking of picking it up - but it
won't fit in the jeep.

"Toller" wrote in message
I would probably buy one if it were $275 off, but I just went to Oneida's
website and they don't show the discount.
Do you have some good information on the discount? $1500 is just too
much; I can get the 3hp JDS for that.

"TH" wrote in message
ink.net...
It appears that the Oneida Portable is on sale now - about $275 off.
Haven't heard from anyone with one, although Oneida seems to have a good
reputation with their other collectors.

"Toller" wrote in message

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 21, 1:00 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have a headroom problem, and JDS is about all that will fit.
Has anyone used one?

How much headroom do you have? I have a Clear Vue one that I put
between the joists in the basement ceiling (modified the bracket
plans).. I suppose you could also use a shorter collection bin.

BTW, the clear vue footprint is only about 2' X 3'. That's not too
bad.

If you want to avoid upgrading later on, I think you are going to have
to give up on a mobile cyclone.

No, it is the tools that are mobil. My DC is fixed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
TH TH is offline

I am trying to decide between the two units - Oneida and the JDS. Both of
the units are either too new or too rare to develop any likes or dislikes
from users. I looked into the Small Clearvue and wasn't sold on it.

I am still trying to figure out if the Oneida is actually a single stage
collector with a cone shaped chute to the collection bins or a cyclone.

"Toller" wrote in message
They are in Syracuse!? I am in Rochester, so this just might work out.
Thanks much.

k.net...

"Toller" wrote in message
I would probably buy one if it were $275 off, but I just went to Oneida's
website and they don't show the discount.
Do you have some good information on the discount? $1500 is just too
much; I can get the 3hp JDS for that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

We are going though exactly the same issues. I am undecided between the
portable Oneida, the 3hp JDS and the 2hp JDS.

Reading though the assembly instructions, it is a real cyclone; but it is a
little tiny cyclone. As such the suction is 2/3rds that of the 2hp Gorilla
and the separation probably isn't as good either. I expect the filters will
clog up much faster than on a big cyclone. Oh for just a couple extra
inches of ceiling height!

Woodcraft in Rochester is having a 10% off sale next week. I am leaning to
getting a 3hp JDS then. It is probably overkill, but that is better than
regretting I didn't get a big enough unit.
Where are you located?

"TH" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am trying to decide between the two units - Oneida and the JDS. Both of
the units are either too new or too rare to develop any likes or dislikes
from users. I looked into the Small Clearvue and wasn't sold on it.

I am still trying to figure out if the Oneida is actually a single stage
collector with a cone shaped chute to the collection bins or a cyclone.

Posted to rec.woodworking
TH TH is offline

Saratoga Springs.

In looking at the magazine review on the Oneida website I have never seen
fan curves as flat as those from the JDS 3Hp unit.

The JDS website really doesn't have any data that helps in the decision.
Amazon has a couple of customer reviews of the JDS units.

I still am undecided.

"Toller" wrote in message
We are going though exactly the same issues. I am undecided between the
portable Oneida, the 3hp JDS and the 2hp JDS.

Reading though the assembly instructions, it is a real cyclone; but it is
a little tiny cyclone. As such the suction is 2/3rds that of the 2hp
Gorilla and the separation probably isn't as good either. I expect the
filters will clog up much faster than on a big cyclone. Oh for just a
couple extra inches of ceiling height!

Woodcraft in Rochester is having a 10% off sale next week. I am leaning
to getting a 3hp JDS then. It is probably overkill, but that is better
than regretting I didn't get a big enough unit.
Where are you located?

"TH" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am trying to decide between the two units - Oneida and the JDS. Both of
the units are either too new or too rare to develop any likes or dislikes
from users. I looked into the Small Clearvue and wasn't sold on it.

I am still trying to figure out if the Oneida is actually a single stage
collector with a cone shaped chute to the collection bins or a cyclone.

Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone? Toller Woodworking 8 December 22nd 06 05:30 PM
JDS dust collector Chris Friesen Woodworking 0 May 19th 06 10:12 PM
Jds cyclone Jack Woodworking 4 March 29th 06 08:31 PM
Clear View Cyclones - Dust Collection Big John Woodworking 13 December 9th 04 07:48 PM