Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flat Wrenches

I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of
sheet, and deburred.

I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a punch
and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable thickness.
What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I might cut my
wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice them off with the
bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a bench top belt sander.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20/10/2019 23:23, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of
sheet, and deburred.

I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a
punch and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable
thickness. What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar.Â* I was thinking I
might cut my wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice them
off with the bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a bench
top belt sander.

Maybe look at DIN 894 single ended spanners as a solution as I've used
them many times when users of my tools have buggered the standard
punched steel spanners byÂ* over tightening them and I demanded a
replacement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/20/2019 4:54 PM, David Billington wrote: On 20/10/2019 23:23, Bob
La Londe wrote:
I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of
sheet, and deburred.

I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a
punch and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable
thickness. What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I
might cut my wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice them
off with the bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a bench
top belt sander.

Maybe look at DIN 894 single ended spanners as a solution as I've used
them many times when users of my tools have buggered the standard
punched steel spanners by over tightening them and I demanded a
replacement.

They seem to be cheap enough depending on the source.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

La Londe wrote:
I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of
sheet, and deburred.

I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a
punch and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable
thickness. What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I
might cut my wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice them
off with the bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a bench
top belt sander.

Maybe look at DIN 894 single ended spanners as a solution as I've used
them many times when users of my tools have buggered the standard
punched steel spanners by over tightening them and I demanded a
replacement.

They seem to be cheap enough depending on the source.

Good old tappet wrenches were drop forged alloy steel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of
sheet, and deburred.

I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a
punch and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable
thickness. What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I
might cut my wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice
them off with the bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a
bench top belt sander.

Dull circular saw blades can be annealed, shaped into tools and
hardened. Tin can steel makes an adequate one-use heat treating pouch
to minimize scaling. I got my stock of dull blades from a carpenter
who was cleaning out his truck, and use my wood stove to heat them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/20/2019 9:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Dull circular saw blades can be annealed, shaped into tools and
hardened. ...

NOT carbide tipped blades, I assume.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 10/20/2019 9:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Dull circular saw blades can be annealed, shaped into tools and
hardened. ...

NOT carbide tipped blades, I assume.

IIRC a coupon from a carbide blade also hardened. I did this a long
time ago and didn't take notes.. If you have a wood stove it's easy to
test a sample. I watch out for free sources of hardenable steel in
various useful sizes and shapes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 00:54:44 +0100
David Billington wrote:

snip
Maybe look at DIN 894 single ended spanners as a solution as I've used
them many times when users of my tools have buggered the standard
punched steel spanners byÂ* over tightening them and I demanded a
replacement.

If you would like to just buy some decent thin spanner wrenches take a
look at the ones made for bicycle work. I have a few old (~25 years)
Park wrenches and they are pretty good...

If you have access to a Plasma-Cam type machine I suspect they could
blow out wrenches pretty quick

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 6:23:39 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of
sheet, and deburred.

I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a punch
and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable thickness.
What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I might cut my
wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice them off with the
bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a bench top belt sander.

I always check places like the Habitat for Humanity store before making wrenches.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 07:40:31 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

snip
Yeah, I ought to go over there and wander around more often.

They used to let me look through their trash/recycle bin here. Picked
up all sorts of odds & ends for basically scrap price or what ever they
made up and I agreed to. They got a new manager that took a dislike to
me and that was that...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 07:00:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 6:23:39 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of
sheet, and deburred.

I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a punch
and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable thickness.
What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I might cut my
wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice them off with the
bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a bench top belt sander.

I always check places like the Habitat for Humanity store before making wrenches.

Dan

Hear Hear!!

Even Harbor Freight wrenches can be ground thin on a surface grinder
after being hawged thinner with a belt sander.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.