Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hand Tools (T-Handles vs. Bits vs. Wrenches, etc...)

Hi all,

This is a very general question from someone who is looking to own a
small but high-quality collection of tools for home and car repair and
maintenance.

Given the great number of available variations in form of tools like
screwdrivers and wrenches, do you have any opinions on which type is
most useful, if you can't have a full mechanics set? For instance,
what's up with all the t-handle drivers I'm seeing these days - is
that just a leverage thing? Can these replace straight handled drivers
in most instances? What about box wrenches with built in ratchets, as
opposed to sockets, or bit and driver sets versus fixed-handle styles?
Are these all just a matter of preference or are some examples of
newer, better technology?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/20/2007 4:57 PM Shrubman said the following:
Hi all,

This is a very general question from someone who is looking to own a
small but high-quality collection of tools for home and car repair and
maintenance.

Given the great number of available variations in form of tools like
screwdrivers and wrenches, do you have any opinions on which type is
most useful, if you can't have a full mechanics set? For instance,
what's up with all the t-handle drivers I'm seeing these days - is
that just a leverage thing? Can these replace straight handled drivers
in most instances?

Yes, leverage. I had to take something off an engine today and was using
one of those hex key combo sets where you have to swing the right sized
hex key out. I wish I had a t-handle hex key because it was pretty tough
to get the hex bolt to turn with that hex combo set.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shrubman" wrote in message
Hi all,

This is a very general question from someone who is looking to own a
small but high-quality collection of tools for home and car repair and
maintenance.

Given the great number of available variations in form of tools like
screwdrivers and wrenches, do you have any opinions on which type is
most useful, if you can't have a full mechanics set? For instance,
what's up with all the t-handle drivers I'm seeing these days - is
that just a leverage thing? Can these replace straight handled drivers
in most instances? What about box wrenches with built in ratchets, as
opposed to sockets, or bit and driver sets versus fixed-handle styles?
Are these all just a matter of preference or are some examples of
newer, better technology?

One piece of advice I can offer is don't buy tools until you need them. I
know some tools go on sale from time to time, but when you really need the
right tool for a job it probably won't be something that is already in your
tool box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 6:28 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Shrubman" wrote in message

[...]

It's more an issue of what's suited to the job at hand, with
preference the next issue. You can get a single allen wrench or a
socket type driver into a tight spot that you'd never get a T handle
into. The T handle offers more torque and is balanced.

Same thing with the ratching box wrench. For close work, where you
can't get a socket on it, they work great and are a life saver. But
if I had a tough bolt to loosen, I wouldn't want to expose one of
those wrenchs to that much torque, and if possible would use a regular
socket with ratchet or bar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I concur. Buy tools when you need them, except for having the obvious,
like pliers, socket wrenches, screwdrivers. I do like the ratcheting
end box wrenches for quick on/off stuff, then do final tightening with
proper sized sockets. A new project is an excuse to buy a new tool...
grin.

Go for top grade stuff. Cheap is cheap, and you will hate yourself.
Sales are good, and beware of "exotic" stuff that you will hardly use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 4:57 pm, Shrubman wrote:
Hi all,

This is a very general question from someone who is looking to own a
small but high-quality collection of tools for home and car repair and
maintenance.

Given the great number of available variations in form of tools like
screwdrivers and wrenches, do you have any opinions on which type is
most useful, if you can't have a full mechanics set? For instance,
what's up with all the t-handle drivers I'm seeing these days - is
that just a leverage thing? Can these replace straight handled drivers
in most instances? What about box wrenches with built in ratchets, as
opposed to sockets, or bit and driver sets versus fixed-handle styles?
Are these all just a matter of preference or are some examples of
newer, better technology?

Thanks!

This should be the only tool set you'll ever need. At $4,995 plus for
a little extra for a case made of elephant leather, you can't go
wrong.

http://www.mensvogue.com/design/arti.../limited_tools
Posted to alt.home.repair

Looking at the responses, the screwdriver issue can often be nicely
met with one of those 6-in-1 screwdrivers. It has 2 slotted bits, #1 &
#2 Phillips, and the sockets for the bits take care of the two most
common hex heads for things like sheet metal screws. I keep one of
those in every toolbox in addition to the usual screwdriver set. Also,
a small set of "jeweler's" screwdrivers is mighty handy for glasses.
Even the "emergency" kit you can get in the drugstore is handy.

When traveling (need to put in checked baggage), a multi-tool and/or
Swiss Army knife is a good bet. Swiss Army knife in the glove
compartment of the cars, for sure.

The wire stripper/cutter/crimper/bolt cutter is also a handy thing to
have in your tool box.

You also need a tape measure, pencil, and brad awl for marking, or
making starter holes.

Hand drill (really!!) and set of small bits.

Set of Allen wrenches - lots of plumbing fittings have them on the
knobs.

Small flashlight.

They guy that dies with the most tools wins.