Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flat Wrenches

On 10/22/2019 7:00 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 6:23:39 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of
sheet, and deburred.

I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a punch
and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable thickness.
What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I might cut my
wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice them off with the
bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a bench top belt sander.

I always check places like the Habitat for Humanity store before making wrenches.

Dan

Yeah, I ought to go over there and wander around more often. Its not
far from my shop. Maybe closer than my favorite nuts and bolts vendor.
The problem is I always seem to find something I really don't need and
it follows me home. One time I found some new still in package 3/16
threading dies... They are still new in package a year and a half later.
In fact the only thing I can think of I have ever used with a 3/16
thread is one particular size of toggle bolts.