Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hot steel

Â* Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look . The
problem around here is that there is nowhere to get instruction except
the craft school . And they tend to cater to the "I've got more money
than sense" crowd . I mean 350 bucks for a 2 day course in knife making
and materials are extra just isn't in my budget . Lucky for me I have a
blacksmith neighbor who is willing to point and laugh , then tell me
where I went wrong ... and the thing is , you can often just heat it
back up and correct the mistake . Right now I'm making tools to make
other tools to make "stuff" , maybe some knives , but more likely things
like hooks for a pan rack , drawer pulls and cabinet handles , other
small household type items . And very likely things for the shop . The
whole reason I started down this road was because the neighbor
referenced above didn't have time to reshape a couple ofÂ* chunks of
steel for a screwless vise for the milling machine . Who am I kiddin' ,
I've wanted to do this for some time now and that was a great excuse .
Now if only all this sheetrock would mud and tape itself , I'd have more
time to burn my fingers fumbling my way to blacksmithing hackdom .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 8:36:33 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I doubt if any of my advice will be worth anything to you, but I will give it just the same.

One. is that you can buy books on Advanced Book Exchange or Amazon. Not nearly as good as seeing some one do it and explaining why they do each step. But better than stumbling around by your self.

Two you can teach. How to Tig weld. How to build a forge. How to sheet rock.
Or actually help someone on an actual project. Best of course would be teaching some one how to sheet rock at your house on your wall.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look . The
problem around here is that there is nowhere to get instruction
except the craft school . And they tend to cater to the "I've got
more money than sense" crowd . I mean 350 bucks for a 2 day course
in knife making and materials are extra just isn't in my budget .
Lucky for me I have a blacksmith neighbor who is willing to point
and laugh , then tell me where I went wrong ... and the thing is ,
you can often just heat it back up and correct the mistake . Right
now I'm making tools to make other tools to make "stuff" , maybe
some knives , but more likely things like hooks for a pan rack ,
drawer pulls and cabinet handles , other small household type items
. And very likely things for the shop . The whole reason I started
down this road was because the neighbor referenced above didn't have
time to reshape a couple of chunks of steel for a screwless vise for
the milling machine . Who am I kiddin' , I've wanted to do this for
some time now and that was a great excuse . Now if only all this
sheetrock would mud and tape itself , I'd have more time to burn my
fingers fumbling my way to blacksmithing hackdom .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

My take from the blacksmithing class was that instead of a forge and
larger anvil to hammer the too-thick parts thinner, I needed acetylene
to build up the too-thin parts thicker, and smooth out the lumpy mess
from trying to build up with stick or MIG.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 06:28:05 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]
referenced above didn't have time to reshape a couple of* chunks of
[...]

And live with the ugly results of an ameteur or have to do it all
over again???

With forging the one thing to remember is when the sparks fly it's
time to start over. Can't salvage burned steel - - -

Same when welding. Once you've burned it it's done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 07:37:18 -0600
Terry Coombs wrote:

Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look .

snip

NPR ran an interesting article on this last week:

===
SCIENCE
There's A Gap Between Perception And Reality When It Comes To Learning
February 18, 2019 Heard on Morning Edition by Shankar Vedantam

Increasingly, people feel they can master tasks simply by watching
instructional videos like the kind you find on YouTube. But sometimes
the gap between perception and reality can be deep and wide...
===

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/18/69563...es-to-learning

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look .

snip

NPR ran an interesting article on this last week:

===
SCIENCE
There's A Gap Between Perception And Reality When It Comes To
Learning
February 18, 2019 Heard on Morning Edition by Shankar Vedantam

Increasingly, people feel they can master tasks simply by watching
instructional videos like the kind you find on YouTube. But
sometimes
the gap between perception and reality can be deep and wide...
===

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/18/69563...es-to-learning

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Videos don't create muscle memory. I needed trial-and-error practice
to learn to strike the hot steel squarely, so it remained rectangular
as it thinned and lengthened instead of becoming a twisted wedge or
rhombus. This isn't exactly the same as learning to drive a nail
straight because the hammer face to handle angle is different.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Â* It helps a lot if you already have hand skills and an understanding
of how metal works . My blacksmith neighbor saw me at the anvil this
afternoon and stopped by . In just chatting I learned that I'm working
the steel a little too cold and twist is not a problem when drawing out
and rounding up a piece . I admit I have been conservative with the heat
, but that's easily corrected . Too many warnings about "burning the
steel" and ruining it I guess . I went over to his place for a few
minutes , wanted to see the profile of a type of tongs . He reduced the
clutter in his shop by sending me home with a hammer with a busted
handle and a pair of tongs (the type I went over to look at) that had
been "modified" by welding on some pieces . And 3 long pieces of mild
steel rod that had been in a fire - these were the bolts on a wire reel
that a guy burned , looked like pretzels . The tongs have been restored
to original and the steel is a lot straighter now ... I'm trying to
decide whether to leave the hammer as a 2.5 lb baby sledge or turn it
into a cross/straight peen hammer . Plenty of time to decide that .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look .

It helps a lot if you already have hand skills and an understanding
of how metal works . My blacksmith neighbor saw me at the anvil this
afternoon and stopped by . In just chatting I learned that I'm
working the steel a little too cold and twist is not a problem when
drawing out and rounding up a piece . I admit I have been
conservative with the heat , but that's easily corrected . Too many
warnings about "burning the steel" and ruining it I guess . ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

Heat alone doesn't damage steel, otherwise it couldn't be melted. It
burns if the fire has excess oxygen. You can easily explore the
difference between reducing and oxidizing flames with an acetylene
cutting torch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Â* It's not at all hard to judge an O/A flame ... but a (Mike Porter
type high speed) propane burner isn't quite as easy to judge .
Especially when the inside of the forge is yellow/white hot . I'm
probably erring on the side of reducing flame rather than oxidizing
judging from the lack of scale formation while in the forge .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.

[...]

http://www.blacksmither.com/episode-...monoxide-shop/

I think I experienced CO poisoning when the propane cylinder ran low
and the forge wasn't burning right. The symptoms went away while I was
driving home. The next time I brought in my digital readout CO meter
and left it on the instructor's desk since there was no safe place for
it near the forge. I felt no symptoms and it read 0 all evening.

Maybe the answer is to adjust the burner to produce CO, then back off
until it drops to or near zero, and see if yellow-hot iron scales.

I haven't figured out how to use an automotive oxygen sensor in home
projects without quickly destroying it.
https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/oxygen-sensor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

When melting steel only the top surface of the cruicible is exposed
to oxygen (if that) and any oxidized steel is either reduced or ends
up in the slag.
When forging the whole piece is exposed to air - even ( to some
extent) with a reducing flame in the forge, particularly when the
overheated steel is removed from the forge. The scale on hot rolled
steel is a result of the "burning" of the outer "skin"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

"Burning" steel is different from scaling at yellow forging heat,
which doesn't throw sparks.
https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/ind...burning-steel/
"You can easily burn a piece of steel in a gas forge, as long a the
temp gets high enough. It looks just like steel burning in a coal
forge, like a sparkler."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look .

snip

NPR ran an interesting article on this last week:

===
SCIENCE
There's A Gap Between Perception And Reality When It Comes To Learning
February 18, 2019 Heard on Morning Edition by Shankar Vedantam

Increasingly, people feel they can master tasks simply by watching
instructional videos like the kind you find on YouTube. But sometimes
the gap between perception and reality can be deep and wide...
===

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/18/69563...es-to-learning

Yes, there is a gap. Inside, you'll find "the learning curve",
"creating skills", and "building muscle memory". Millennials are
having a helluva time with it because they start with zero life
experience, zero mechanical experience, and little body control from
leading a sedate childhood build upon video games. (See,
Ventadam/Sharp/O'Brien? I can do extreme generalizations, too.

The gap is wide when people aren't particularly curious and haven't
built up any cache of knowledge about physics or other "how things
work" libraries in their brains. I see a video and think "I like how
that's done, but I can think of another way to do it." Then I watch 3
more vids and build something using the best methods I saw + already
knew. Or I build two, one optimized for one way of doing things and
another using another method, since I've faced both before.

But I've been a Maker since I was 4 years old. I have learned both
basics and many important tips (like sequencing) from hundreds of YT
vids over the years. It allowed me to immediately take on many jobs I
hadn't done before and construct things the clients and I were both
proud of. There's still a gap, but it was lessened by the videos.
Well, until I get to the violin. skreeeeak

It's sad that Sharp thinks the videos are detrimental to his learning.
As a teacher, he should both know better and adjust for it. Is he
coming from the "throw money at it" direction, apparently thinking
that the price includes skillsets? (He already spent probably ten
grand on Festering tools, the $$SnapOn of wooddorking toolmakers. Good
tools, way overpriced.) If anything, his teaching skills are
declining.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Â* In other words , my life experiences have made me more susceptible to
gaining knowledgeÂ* - to add to my existing skill set - than a lazy couch
potato gamer who only knows how to use his thumbs to control his avatar ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look .
snip

Training videos can be interesting even if you aren't likely to
practice the skill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=0OmOQs0ziSU

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 9:37:40 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Training videos can be interesting even if you aren't likely to
practice the skill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=0OmOQs0ziSU

Wait...What? You don't think you're likely to ever find yourself with a 16" gun to shoot? Seriously, you'd do well to watch this video over and over because, well, you never know...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Training videos can be interesting even if you aren't likely to
practice the skill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=0OmOQs0ziSU

Wait...What? You don't think you're likely to ever find yourself
with a 16" gun to shoot? Seriously, you'd do well to watch this
video over and over because, well, you never know...

Actually the part that interests me most is the rapid handling of
heavy and dangerous objects with a mix of automation and trained
skill. The machinery designer has to know how much he can demand from
the operator, and serving large guns pushes the limits of strength,
coordination and endurance.

The closest I've come have been running a log splitter and trying to
learn to move a backhoe bucket straight back, parallel to the ground.
Splitting firewood is a dangerous operation that combines the heavy
lifting of a powder handler and the finesse of a rammer operator.
Twisted or knotted wood can suddenly fly apart with considerable force

If I wanted to lose my hearing, sleep on the cold ground like the
homeless and and drag 1000 lbs through mud I could become a reenactor.
http://www.artilleryreserve.org/manuals.html
The second one, by Henry Hunt et al, covers the 20MB that a Civil War
artillerist had to learn and practice correctly while 10,000 screaming
enemy charged toward them with fixed bayonets. As the Union artillery
commander at Gettysburg, Hunt tricked the Confederates into launching
Pickett's Charge by withdrawing intact guns randomly as though they
had been destroyed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look .
snip

Training videos can be interesting even if you aren't likely to
practice the skill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=0OmOQs0ziSU

Yessirree! Ever watch FPSRussia on YT? What a blast that's been.
(double entendre intentional)