Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hot steel

Â* Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look . The
problem around here is that there is nowhere to get instruction except
the craft school . And they tend to cater to the "I've got more money
than sense" crowd . I mean 350 bucks for a 2 day course in knife making
and materials are extra just isn't in my budget . Lucky for me I have a
blacksmith neighbor who is willing to point and laugh , then tell me
where I went wrong ... and the thing is , you can often just heat it
back up and correct the mistake . Right now I'm making tools to make
other tools to make "stuff" , maybe some knives , but more likely things
like hooks for a pan rack , drawer pulls and cabinet handles , other
small household type items . And very likely things for the shop . The
whole reason I started down this road was because the neighbor
referenced above didn't have time to reshape a couple ofÂ* chunks of
steel for a screwless vise for the milling machine . Who am I kiddin' ,
I've wanted to do this for some time now and that was a great excuse .
Now if only all this sheetrock would mud and tape itself , I'd have more
time to burn my fingers fumbling my way to blacksmithing hackdom .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old