Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hot steel

On 2/24/2019 6:18 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
On 2/23/2019 6:40 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 07:37:18 -0600
Terry Coombs wrote:

Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look .

It helps a lot if you already have hand skills and an understanding
of how metal works . My blacksmith neighbor saw me at the anvil this
afternoon and stopped by . In just chatting I learned that I'm
working the steel a little too cold and twist is not a problem when
drawing out and rounding up a piece . I admit I have been
conservative with the heat , but that's easily corrected . Too many
warnings about "burning the steel" and ruining it I guess . ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Heat alone doesn't damage steel, otherwise it couldn't be melted. It
burns if the fire has excess oxygen. You can easily explore the
difference between reducing and oxidizing flames with an acetylene
cutting torch.

Â* It's not at all hard to judge an O/A flame ... but a (Mike Porter
type high speed) propane burner isn't quite as easy to judge .
Especially when the inside of the forge is yellow/white hot . I'm
probably erring on the side of reducing flame rather than oxidizing
judging from the lack of scale formation while in the forge .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old