Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hot steel

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 14:51:58 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 07:37:18 -0600
Terry Coombs wrote:

Forging it ain't as easy as those guys on Youtube make it look .

snip

NPR ran an interesting article on this last week:

===
SCIENCE
There's A Gap Between Perception And Reality When It Comes To Learning
February 18, 2019 Heard on Morning Edition by Shankar Vedantam

Increasingly, people feel they can master tasks simply by watching
instructional videos like the kind you find on YouTube. But sometimes
the gap between perception and reality can be deep and wide...
===

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/18/69563...es-to-learning

Yes, there is a gap. Inside, you'll find "the learning curve",
"creating skills", and "building muscle memory". Millennials are
having a helluva time with it because they start with zero life
experience, zero mechanical experience, and little body control from
leading a sedate childhood build upon video games. (See,
Ventadam/Sharp/O'Brien? I can do extreme generalizations, too.

The gap is wide when people aren't particularly curious and haven't
built up any cache of knowledge about physics or other "how things
work" libraries in their brains. I see a video and think "I like how
that's done, but I can think of another way to do it." Then I watch 3
more vids and build something using the best methods I saw + already
knew. Or I build two, one optimized for one way of doing things and
another using another method, since I've faced both before.

But I've been a Maker since I was 4 years old. I have learned both
basics and many important tips (like sequencing) from hundreds of YT
vids over the years. It allowed me to immediately take on many jobs I
hadn't done before and construct things the clients and I were both
proud of. There's still a gap, but it was lessened by the videos.
Well, until I get to the violin. skreeeeak

It's sad that Sharp thinks the videos are detrimental to his learning.
As a teacher, he should both know better and adjust for it. Is he
coming from the "throw money at it" direction, apparently thinking
that the price includes skillsets? (He already spent probably ten
grand on Festering tools, the $$SnapOn of wooddorking toolmakers. Good
tools, way overpriced.) If anything, his teaching skills are
declining.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross