Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Remington Power [powder]Drive

I have a 30 year [plus] old Rem. powder driver. I went to use it and
the charges seem to have lost their strength. Is this normal? If so how
does one dispose of the cartridges?
Thanks,
CP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/20/2018 8:58 PM, MOP CAP wrote:
I have a 30 year [plus] old Rem. powder driver. I went to use it and
the charges seem to have lost their strength. Is this normal? If so
how does one dispose of the cartridges?
Thanks,
CP

Â* Toss 'em in the campfire and stand back ... but seriously , call your
local police dept and ask them to pick them up for destruction/disposal
.. BE VERY CLEAR what you have and why you want them to pick them upÂ* .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 18:58:57 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

I have a 30 year [plus] old Rem. powder driver. I went to use it and
the charges seem to have lost their strength. Is this normal? If so how
does one dispose of the cartridges?

Fireplace is always interesting. (Kids, don't try this at home.)

Our local recycler takes ammo, it appears. I got a flyer from them
yesterday and that was on there. Surprise, surprise.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Everyone has told me how to dispose of them, but no one has told me IF
I need to do so.
CP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:28:53 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

Everyone has told me how to dispose of them, but no one has told me IF
I need to do so.
CP

You are probably aware of this but Remington cartridges come in
different powers. Gray or brown are the lower power cartridges, green
and yellow are medium power and red is the highest power.
see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder-actuated_tool
--
Cheers

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 08:41:41 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:28:53 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

Everyone has told me how to dispose of them, but no one has told me IF
I need to do so.
CP

You are probably aware of this but Remington cartridges come in
different powers. Gray or brown are the lower power cartridges, green
and yellow are medium power and red is the highest power.
see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder-actuated_tool

Correction: Red or Purple are the highest power.
--
Cheers

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:28:53 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

Everyone has told me how to dispose of them, but no one has told me IF
I need to do so.

You said it yourself. Their performance was compromised, indicating
that you thought you should get rid of them.

Microwave?

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
or the Poles--but emerged out of courageous, conscious acts of
will by Pilgrims and Patriots. --Michael Medved, Right Turns
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:28:53 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

Everyone has told me how to dispose of them, but no one has told me IF
I need to do so.
CP

You are probably aware of this but Remington cartridges come in
different powers. Gray or brown are the lower power cartridges, green
and yellow are medium power and red is the highest power.
see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder-actuated_tool

Seem to recall that back in the mid 90's some brands used a
numbering system. In either case, if they are consistently lower in
power and you have a use for them at that lower power, use them up.
Otherwise dispose of them...
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"MOP CAP" wrote in message news:2018092018585755024-email@domaincom...

I have a 30 year [plus] old Rem. powder driver. I went to use it and
the charges seem to have lost their strength. Is this normal? If so how
does one dispose of the cartridges?
Thanks,
CP

************

That may vary by jurisdiction, but here is my experience with similar
disposal. A friend of mine asked me about disposing of a bunch of
ammunition. Some factory and some reloads, that was in a house he bought at
a repo sale. I called another friend who is fire captain for Rural Metro
and asked. He said they have people bring ammo to the fire stations
sometimes, and anything that's question just goes in the trash. That kind
of surprised me, but its what he said, "unofficially." He said it might be
different if you were disposing of several large cases, but for a few boxes
they just thank the citizen and toss it in the trash after they leave.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 18:58:57 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

I have a 30 year [plus] old Rem. powder driver. I went to use it and
the charges seem to have lost their strength. Is this normal? If so how
does one dispose of the cartridges?
Thanks,
CP

What caliber? You can shoot 22 caliber pellets with them in your 22
rifle...at insane speeds. Fun to do.

Or you can simply put them in a plastic bag, and stick em into the
trash can.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:28:53 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

Everyone has told me how to dispose of them, but no one has told me IF
I need to do so.
CP

You didnt ASK if you needed to dispose of them.

Do they drive nails or not? If you have to shoot a nail 3x..its still
cheaper than tossing them and buying new..no?

__