Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bubble Wrap - Its Metalworking Related Really

I ship machined aluminum molds all over the world now. Primarily by USPS
Priority Mail. Since they are aluminum I am concerned about dings and dents
in transit. It happens. I usually wrap the molds in bubble wrap and then
pack in other packing materials to stabilize them in the container. Now
being somewhat of a harder I've always saved bubble wrap for the occasional
shipping I had to do as a communications contractor. Now I'm starting to
run out.

I'm not against buying bubble wrap, but the price at the local office supply
stores is insane. The flip side is its pretty reasonable on-line, but the
shipping cost gets the net cost back up there again. Other than hording air
in little plastic pockets like I have done, what do you guys that ship stuff
do to keep the costs down?

Every piece of bubble wrap that comes in is placed in storage boxes in my
office, but its just not enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/10/2017 9:58 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Hey Bob,

When I was reading your quest I remembered a customer of mine that has a
bubble wrap making machine.

Something like this:
https://www.uline.com/BL_174/Instant...e-Roll-Machine

Personally I don't know the economics of it all but you may want to run
the numbers for yourself.

Hope that helps.

Have a good week.

Les

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news
[...]

The shipping dept. at my last job bought from www.uline.com, but we used a
lot of 2 and 3" thick x 3' x 10' polyethylene foam planks and big pallets of
big boxes so the truck shipping wasn't bad spread over a big order. At a
quick glance prices on amazon look about the same or a bit better and some
vendors offer free shipping so that's probably your best option. If you
haven't already signed up for prime maybe this will make it worthwhile. I
agree that Staples is pretty high, I needed a small roll right then last
week and just gritted my teeth and paid, sigh.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/07/2017 11:58 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Other than hording air in little plastic pockets like I have done, what
do you guys that ship stuff do to keep the costs down?

I asked some of my customers to save bubble wrap and smaller boxes for
me. They were all local, so no big deal to swing by and pick up.
Might ask around, could be someone nearby with a steady supply of bubble
wrap they need to dispose of.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

LES !!!

What are you doing over here in the metalworking area? Good to hear from
you. I still read ASA about every other day, but don't feel I have much to
contribute anymore. Anyway. Thanks. That's an option I had not
considered. I don't know if its financially viable either, but I bet I'll
have fun learning bout it.

Bob

"ABLE1" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:50:15 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
Jon,
That's a great idea.

Thanks.
Bob

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message ...

On 11/07/2017 11:58 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Other than hording air in little plastic pockets like I have done, what
do you guys that ship stuff do to keep the costs down?

I asked some of my customers to save bubble wrap and smaller boxes for
me. They were all local, so no big deal to swing by and pick up.
Might ask around, could be someone nearby with a steady supply of bubble
wrap they need to dispose of.

Jon

Have you tried U-Haul or the moving companies?

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I'm not against buying bubble wrap, but the price at the local office supply
stores is insane. The flip side is its pretty reasonable on-line, but the
shipping cost gets the net cost back up there again. Other than hording air
in little plastic pockets like I have done, what do you guys that ship stuff
do to keep the costs down?

Seems to me I paid about $125 for a 4 by 250 foot roll roughly nine years
ago, when the local retailers wanted about four times that price in much
smaller quantities. Uline was one of the more expensive suppliers as I recall.

The trick seemed to be finding a vendor who already made truck deliveries in
my area. They dropped it in my driveway at no extra cost. It was much
cheaper to do that than buy at retail, but I'm still trying to use up the
extra bubble wrap.

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 17:44:56 +1000
Jon Anderson wrote:

On 11/07/2017 11:58 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Other than hording air in little plastic pockets like I have done, what
do you guys that ship stuff do to keep the costs down?

I asked some of my customers to save bubble wrap and smaller boxes for
me. They were all local, so no big deal to swing by and pick up.
Might ask around, could be someone nearby with a steady supply of bubble
wrap they need to dispose of.

Jon

+1

We used to throw a lot in the dumpster at work. Not to mention what we
kept inside for sending stuff out. Suspect you might find quite a bit
just dumpster diving places that receive a lot of stuff.

Nowadays it maybe going in a recycle bin, not sure...

In a previous life I used to repair computer terminals. They would come
in boxes that had been shot with expanding foam. Kind of like putting
the terminal in a plastic wrapping, shoot foam in the bottom of the box,
set plastic covered terminal in, shoot more foam to fill... Never saw
anything damaged in shipment that was done that way. It wouldn't stop a
forklift stab but worked good for dropping and crushing troubles.

Not sure how far you would get with the spray foam in a can used for
sealing air leaks around windows and doors. But if you could buy it
cheap enough it may be worth trying...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:41:58 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

In a previous life I used to repair computer terminals. They would come
in boxes that had been shot with expanding foam. Kind of like putting
the terminal in a plastic wrapping, shoot foam in the bottom of the box,
set plastic covered terminal in, shoot more foam to fill... Never saw
anything damaged in shipment that was done that way. It wouldn't stop a
forklift stab but worked good for dropping and crushing troubles.

Not sure how far you would get with the spray foam in a can used for
sealing air leaks around windows and doors. But if you could buy it
cheap enough it may be worth trying...

Not very far. you'd want the non-expanding foam, lest you come back
and find your box exploded and your product embedded in a mass of
foam. BTDT.

You might look at this

https://www.uline.com/Grp_137/Cushio...=foam+in+place

for larger quantities, you might want to look at the true
foam-in-place kits. It's a two part system that mixes in a gun and
foams immediately to the finished size. What Leon was talking about
above. It is available anywhere from 55 gallon drums of the
components to a low volume kit where the two parts come in 50 lb
refrigerant cans. I thought Uline sold the latter but I could not
find it just now.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 18:58:34 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Ebay. And free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bubble-Wrap-...-/172618929508

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._sacat =19273

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's some tiny, thin stuff, mon. Good for wrapping business card
holders and such, not molds, I wouldn't think. My guess is that he'd
want 1/2" or larger bubbles on thicker stock.

--
The door of opportunity is marked "PUSH".
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/10/2017 9:58 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
... Since they are aluminum I am concerned about dings
and dents in transit. ...

Bubble wrap is great for protecting delicate stuff against high
accelerations. I.e., the box being dropped, thrown, etc. You don't
need that - you need protection against the box being "violated".
Bubble wrap will do that, but so will a couple of layers of cardboard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Its 3/16" bubbles, 12" wide by 700 feet long. Wrap his molds 2x in
each direction, stick it in a box and send it in a load of gravel. He
isnt sending steel billets..he is shipping at most..1.5lb fishing lure
molds.

anyways...lots and lots of bubble wrap on ebay..cheap as **** in any
size he wants..free shipping

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In that case, it might work. That stuff is awfully flimsy in that
size, though.

anyways...lots and lots of bubble wrap on ebay..cheap as **** in any
size he wants..free shipping

Yes, and at much, much better prices than any store or USPS outlet.

-
If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin.
-- Samuel Adams

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

LOL. I've made and shipped molds big enough and heavy enough I felt more
comfortable getting my fingers under them to lift them safely. For a garage
hobbyist a single cavity mold might be adequate, but I routinely make molds
with a dozen or more cavities. Even some of the smaller stock designs run
up to as many as 26 cavities. They must weigh atleast 2 lbs. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:03:43 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WP-1-2-x-24-...-/272449793341

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bubble wrap is great for protecting delicate stuff against high
accelerations. I.e., the box being dropped, thrown, etc. You don't
need that - you need protection against the box being "violated".
Bubble wrap will do that, but so will a couple of layers of cardboard.

Yes. I ship finely polished brass parts every day, and don't ever buy packing material. Fortunately, I share a courtyard with a bathroom supply wholesaler, so I have an unlimited supply of corrugated cardboard. I wrap the parts in tissue paper, then kitchen plastic wrap, and then however much free cardboard I deem necessary for the job.