Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Bubble Wrap - Its Metalworking Related Really

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 17:44:56 +1000
Jon Anderson wrote:

On 11/07/2017 11:58 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Other than hording air in little plastic pockets like I have done, what
do you guys that ship stuff do to keep the costs down?

I asked some of my customers to save bubble wrap and smaller boxes for
me. They were all local, so no big deal to swing by and pick up.
Might ask around, could be someone nearby with a steady supply of bubble
wrap they need to dispose of.

Jon

+1

We used to throw a lot in the dumpster at work. Not to mention what we
kept inside for sending stuff out. Suspect you might find quite a bit
just dumpster diving places that receive a lot of stuff.

Nowadays it maybe going in a recycle bin, not sure...

In a previous life I used to repair computer terminals. They would come
in boxes that had been shot with expanding foam. Kind of like putting
the terminal in a plastic wrapping, shoot foam in the bottom of the box,
set plastic covered terminal in, shoot more foam to fill... Never saw
anything damaged in shipment that was done that way. It wouldn't stop a
forklift stab but worked good for dropping and crushing troubles.

Not sure how far you would get with the spray foam in a can used for
sealing air leaks around windows and doors. But if you could buy it
cheap enough it may be worth trying...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b