Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Night Vision Scope Camera

On Sat, 28 May 2016 20:30:07 -0700, Ruff wrote:

RogerNothing:

I looked up some FLIR info a while back and saw the major expense was the
lenses. I'm guessing the sensor array wouldn't work well with just a
pinhole for a lens?

Here's an impressive lens.
https://theintercept.com/2016/05/25/american-sniper-chris-kyle-distorted-his-military-record-documents-show/

It probably wouldn't be very good but
at least maybe you could locate some thermal variation.

So what? Just tell stories about how good it is. Like this.
"Kyle wrote in his memoir that he had 160 “confirmed kills” as a sniper,
a self-reported statistic."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-sniper-chris-kyle-lied-151100428.html

Yes...in some cases it IS a self reported stat. Carlos Hathcock had
93 "confirmed". That means that either it was witnessed or a body was
actually there when/where the shooter said it was and was investigated
(IE..data off the body was collected for intel etc). That being
said..Carlos himself stated he shot a heck of a lot more people than
was "confirmed". He estimated that he zapped around 300 but of that,
only 93 were "recorded"

I have some ..some experience in the matter, and oten shooting
someone, in a battle situation , the body simply didnt turn up as a
recorded kill to one individual, bcause there was no witness. I have
no idea if Kyle did or did not shoot 160 people, but in his AO..it
would have surprised me if it were any less. Shrug
BTDT.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 14:11:11 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

Of course you have had "experience in the matter". Tell us again about
your two (was it) combat tours in Vietnam back when you were, what?
Fifteen years old?

As for "how many", who knows? It probably depends on the guy's
honesty. Yours, of course register zero, and we all know that you are
some feeble "limp dick" that is fantasizing how he really is a big
swinger.

Or, as some say, "Walter Mitty".
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 16:05:08 -0700, Greg Stearns
wrote:

[...]

Not so. Gunner has a very elaborate "fantasy life". Some even say that
he's whole life, as he vocalizes it, is a dream. Walter Mitty in the
flesh one might say.
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-05-31, RogerN wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I think I snipped it, but the part where you mentioned using a second sensor
to detect a temperature difference, isn't that how the PIR sensors work?

I was suggesting two sensors viewing from different locations so
you have two lines of sight from sensors to target, and where the lines
cross is the location of the target. The temperature sensors give you
no distance information.

I used to repair to repair copy machines for about 10 years and most of them
had first surface mirrors to reflect the document image to the
photoconductive drum.

Yep! With first surface, you don't get unwanted (and dimmer)
secondary reflections from the surface of the glass before the light
reaches the intended reflecting surface. You don't want "ghosts" in
your copies. :-)

When I did controls engineering one of our customers
made automotive lamp assemblies and used aluminum vapor deposition to make
the reflective inner housings.

That makes nice ones -- and if a transmissive clear coating
applied over that (glass, or some similar substance evaporated in the
vacuum chamber.

But a vacuum chamber of sufficient size is quite pricey, and you
have to tear it down and etch away various deposits every few uses.

Very interesting technology but the good stuff is pricey, the other day I
saw an ad for a thermal imaging rifle scope for $8,XXX .

The ones which I saw were made for the Army -- some regular
production, some prototypes. And making them shock-resistant enough to
live on top of an operating rifle adds to the costs. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's gummer, to a "T".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gunner Mitty?
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have some ..some experience in the matter, and oten shooting
someone, in a battle situation , the body simply didnt turn up as a
recorded kill to one individual, bcause there was no witness.

Bwhahahahahahaha!

I have some... some doubt that Wieber will ever accept that nobody
takes him at his word for his trail of bodies, vast ranch, 264mph
motorcycle...

I also have some... some confidence that Wieber's wife's boyfriends
had some... some confidence that they had absolutely nothing to fear
from Wieber.

And I know... know that I remain alive despite multiple assurances
from Wieber that I was going to be dead some... some years ago.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis wrote:

Very little of substance . Don't you have anything better to do than stalk
people on the newsgroups ?
It must really suck to be you ...

Snag

Not that I'm a big fan of Gunner , but all you're doing is poisoning the
well for all who read here . I come here for metalworking posts , not
personal attacks and political bull**** . I hope your mom's basement floods
and ruins all your computer gear .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 08:10:50 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis wrote:

Very little of substance . Don't you have anything better to do than stalk
people on the newsgroups ?
It must really suck to be you ...

Doctor, heal thyself. Stop whining and stop reading what you don't
want to read.

Snag

Not that I'm a big fan of Gunner ,

Oh please, you're fine with his bull**** stories about his trail of
bodies. If you weren't, then you'd be whining.

but all you're doing is poisoning the
well for all who read here . I come here for metalworking posts , not
personal attacks and political bull**** .

Then you came to the wrong group. Because in this one, if you disagree
with some posters, they'll make up nonsense (like you did above and
below) and some will say year after year that you're soon to be
killed. They'll even say they have some... some experience at doing
that! And most of the rest will either agree or keep quiet, because
they LIKE reading political bull****. And the ****tier the better
apparently.

I hope your mom's basement floods
and ruins all your computer gear .

Whoa! How original! Did you type that out or copy/paste? I may have my
lawyers send you a summins for the emotional distress you caused with
that devastating retort. What's next, "your mama," or "poopy head?"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Jun 2016 08:29:09 -0700, Christmas Card From a Hooker in
Minneapolis wrote:

Whoa! How original! Did you type that out or copy/paste? I may have my
lawyers send you a summins for the emotional distress you caused with
that devastating retort. What's next, "your mama," or "poopy head?"

I find it utterly facinating you are so happy that your Mom sent you a
Christmas card from Minneapolis.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Minneapolis wrote:

Whoa! How original! Did you type that out or copy/paste? I may have my
lawyers send you a summins for the emotional distress you caused with
that devastating retort. What's next, "your mama," or "poopy head?"

I find it utterly facinating

VBG Cites? indeed fascinating "I've not" buffoon "hold that thought"
backhoe "the list" cull 264mph "3/5/8 years street cop" swingers leftists

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Minneapolis wrote:

Whoa! How original! Did you type that out or copy/paste? I may have
my lawyers send you a summins for the emotional distress you caused
with that devastating retort. What's next, "your mama," or "poopy
head?"

I find it utterly facinating you are so happy that your Mom sent you a
Christmas card from Minneapolis.

Does he really think I didn't killfile him ? Please , don't respond again
Gunner . If we ALL ignore him he'll fade away into the darkling night .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Minneapolis wrote:

Whoa! How original! Did you type that out or copy/paste? I may have
my lawyers send you a summins for the emotional distress you caused
with that devastating retort. What's next, "your mama," or "poopy
head?"

I find it utterly facinating you are so happy that your Mom sent you a
Christmas card from Minneapolis.

Does he really think I didn't killfile him ? Please , don't respond again
Gunner . If we ALL ignore him he'll fade away into the darkling night .

Nope, I'll still be here. Wieber can plug his ears but most others
will get to see him mocked for being the kind of incompetent liar some
of like to read for various reasons. As for you, people who don't want
to read, don't read. Simple. But people who like to whine, demand that
others only write what they like, yammer about killfiles, and write
personal attacks claiming they don't like personal attacks, etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

snip
And -- if you have someone with a bushy mustache, have him
breathe through it, and it will light up as his exhaled breath warms it,
and darken as he inhales, cooling it. (Or the opposite, if the system is
switched to hot-dark mode. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I found a video where someone used servos to scan an area with a single IR
sensor and displayed the results, that's what I thought about doing but it
would be too slow for most of what I wanted it for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSTZ0l0vfvE

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-06-03, RogerN wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

snip
And -- if you have someone with a bushy mustache, have him
breathe through it, and it will light up as his exhaled breath warms it,
and darken as he inhales, cooling it. (Or the opposite, if the system is
switched to hot-dark mode. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I found a video where someone used servos to scan an area with a single IR
sensor and displayed the results, that's what I thought about doing but it
would be too slow for most of what I wanted it for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSTZ0l0vfvE

I have seen a relatively simple single sensor system - made by
Barnes, IIRC, back in the 1970s. It had a two sided mirror which was
scanned both left-to-right and top to bottom (slower for the latter),
and reflected the image from the IR lens onto the detector moving the
detector in a raster scan pattern. The other side of the mirror had a
modulated light source -- a bit early for LEDs, though possibly that.
More likely to be a neon lamp through a pinhole -- onto some 4x6"
Polaroid film. It took a while, but generated a good image, and one of
the people demonstrating it said that it had convinced him to stop
smoking. He took a scan of his hand before a cigarette, and about five
minutes after one, and the loss of blood flow to the hand rather scared
him.

So -- a slow scan is possible, and useful for certain things.
One possibility is scanning a circuit breaker box -- looking for warm
areas where the wire screws need to be tightened or the breaker
replaced. (Or where the current draw needs to be reduced. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail